• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

***The Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics***

Will you watch the Tokyo Summer Olympics?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Patriotic Voter

Smarter than trolls
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Everything you need to know about the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics for the next four weeks:

For all patriotic Americans who have favorite Summer Olympics sports and Team USA athletes:

Some things to remember:

Tokyo is 13 hours ahead of New York, 14 hours ahead of Houston, 15 hours ahead of Denver, and 16 hours ahead of Los Angeles.

Because the COVID-19 pandemic is still raging in Tokyo no fans - not even Japanese people - are allowed in any Olympic venues.

Russian athletes still are under sanctions for state-sponsored doping which include being called the Russian Olympic Committee.

There was never any question it would still be called the 2020 Olympics during the one-year delay so the thread title is not a typo.

Absolutely, NO.

Have no interest in any sports.

Besides, the Tokyo Olympics are devoid of any interest: no cheering fans, etc.

Japan, which I admire so much for its lack of violent street crime (unlike our crime-ridden cities), has made a terrible mistake in staging the Olympics under such circumstances.

Yes, but only because there aren't any better sportsball options at that time. The NHL draft will absolutely take priority over the opening ceremonies and the first day's events. I might take an interest in diving, the sprints, shooting, and gymnastics. I have little interest in most of the events in general, and only passing interest in those mentioned (except shooting, but I've never see that one broadcast, only just recently learned it was even an event, and an examination of the NBC schedule suggests only one event will be shown, on USA Network, as a replay, and it's just skeet).

The Winter Olympics are better, by at least an order of magnitude. The best thing about these games is that we only have to wait six-ish months for the next Winter Games as opposed to a year and a half like usual...

The Summer Olympics are more fun for me. I like to watch gymnastics (especially the floor and beam), rhythmic gymnastics, artistic swimming, and diving. In the winter I only watch figure skating. The only reason to watch a race sport is root for the Americans, so I do not plan to watch any of them.

I thought this topic would grab more interest because there are so many sports to watch.

I may watch women‘s gymnastics only when Simon Biles is on because she’s hot. I have no interest in gymnastics otherwise.

Everything you need to know about the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics for the next four weeks:

For all patriotic Americans who have favorite Summer Olympics sports and Team USA athletes:

Some things to remember:

Tokyo is 13 hours ahead of New York, 14 hours ahead of Houston, 15 hours ahead of Denver, and 16 hours ahead of Los Angeles.

Because the COVID-19 pandemic is still raging in Tokyo no fans - not even Japanese people - are allowed in any Olympic venues.

Russian athletes still are under sanctions for state-sponsored doping which include being called the Russian Olympic Committee.

There was never any question it would still be called the 2020 Olympics during the one-year delay so the thread title is not a typo.
Will I watch it? I would say "HELL YES!!!!"

I wanna see us get all them gold medals that we are going to get, silver and bronze is fine too, but I am really happy if we beat the best medal haul so far ever in the summer Olympics. I am especially looking forward to the swimming, athletics, sailing (results, not the sailing itself), field hockey, handball, women's soccer and especially the cycling races.

I will be very happy to see our women win gold, silver and bronze on the women's road race.

I’ll be watching REAL wrestling, both male and female freestyle.

I’ll be watching REAL wrestling, both male and female freestyle.

Women's wrestling is a thing in the Olympics?

Some new sports were added, but nobody would want to watch that.

It's starting to become a bit dicey. 71 cases of COVID have already been linked to the Tokyo games.

I personally think the Tokyo games should probably be cancelled with COVID spiking in Japan. That is also the consensus in Japan itself.

Stage both these Summer games and the Winter Games in 2022.

It's starting to become a bit dicey. 71 cases of COVID have already been linked to the Tokyo games.

I personally think the Tokyo games should probably be cancelled with COVID spiking in Japan. That is also the consensus in Japan itself.

Stage both these Summer games and the Winter Games in 2022.

The IOC totally screwed up when it decided to postpone the 2020 Olympics one year and making no effort to ensure everyone involved is fully vaccinated before letting anyone travel.

However, it is 100% Japan's fault that despite knowing everything about that decision only 17 percent of its citizens are vaccinated and Tokyo itself is in a medical state of emergency.

Explanations of the new sports and disciplines:

Nope....It's July in beautiful Haliburton and sitting on the dock or taking a leisurely boat cruise appeals to me much more. Maybe if it's raining.....

I love the summer Olympics!

Hopefully Japan will cancel the games.Biden should have banned our athletes from going already.It's a super spreader.Biden should have acted 2 weeks ago.

Hopefully Japan will cancel the games.Biden should have banned our athletes from going already.It's a super spreader.Biden should have acted 2 weeks ago.
Guess you must have thought Trump should have cancelled all his rallies and not held those WH parties. Mind you I don't recall you saying that.

Guess you must have thought Trump should have cancelled all his rallies and not held those WH parties. Mind you I don't recall you saying that.
I don't recall anyone getting Covid from being there.

I'm pulling for East Timor

I don't recall anyone getting Covid from being there
That's OK..... I'm sure your news sources didn't cover the number of Trumpers, including Chris Christie, who contracted Covid at a WH event. Then of course Herman Cain who died of Covid after attending a Trump rally...and they are big names. Can't even imagine the number of little people who contrated it and it was never reported. Let's just hope Trump cashed their donations cheques first.

Some things to remember:

This is the worst and most avoidable nightmare and it all hinges around the Japanese custom of needing to "save face" because to cancel the Olympics would mean shame, dishonor and loss of face.
It's an incredible example of the worst of human nature.
We have our own version, a kind of "Ugly American" style arrogance that we spread around everywhere.
That's ours, saving face is Japan's.
It's the same fear of losing face that kicked in during the Fukushima accident, "must not lose face and bring dishonor", everything is fine.

And untold numbers of athletes and service workers are going to get gravely ill and many will die, all so the wealthiest and most powerful people in Japan, and a handful of IOC VIP's can "save face".
And that is why I won't watch it this time around.
I'll shed tears for the athletes who will wind up gravely ill and who wind up dying.
But I will not watch.

Voted yes, entirely because it will be interesting to see on TV and entirely spectator-less olympics.

I'll shed tears for the athletes who will wind up gravely ill and who wind up dying
I don't think there will be severe and deadly breakouts because most are vaccinated.....but I agree....holding the Olympics right now is just so wrong.

This is the worst and most avoidable nightmare and it all hinges around the Japanese custom of needing to "save face" because to cancel the Olympics would mean shame, dishonor and loss of face.
It's an incredible example of the worst of human nature.
We have our own version, a kind of "Ugly American" style arrogance that we spread around everywhere.
That's ours, saving face is Japan's.
It's the same fear of losing face that kicked in during the Fukushima accident, "must not lose face and bring dishonor", everything is fine.

And untold numbers of athletes and service workers are going to get gravely ill and many will die, all so the wealthiest and most powerful people in Japan, and a handful of IOC VIP's can "save face".
I'll shed tears for the athletes who will wind up gravely ill and who wind up dying.
But I will not watch.

It’s even more basic than that, the IOC would lose some scratch. They may yet cancel the games, imo.

Back
Top Bottom