• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Supreme Court ponders the right to pray on the 50-yard line

Requires? No, it was his choice to pray on the 50 yard line.
A spectacle...

“You, however,” continued Jesus, “when you pray, go into your private room and, after shutting your door, pray to your Father who is in secret; then your Father who looks on in secret will repay you.” Matthew 6:6

I wonder why some people feel the need to make praying a public spectacle.

I also wonder if this football coach would support a Muslim prayer on the 50 yard line after a game.
Or Mormon. How about a Wiccan chant?

More to the point, I wonder which way the "Right Leaning SCOTUS" will judge.

Personally, I could care less if he prays on the 50 yard line. I think it's stupid, but he has every right to be stupid.
I really don't care especially if it's a silent prayer.

However, if students/players who don't participate in the prayer are somehow treated differently because they don't participate - FIRE the bastard.
Also however, if he's actively recruited/pressured players/students to join him - FIRE the bastard.

A voluntary moment of silence is fine. Assuming it really is purely voluntary.

Seriously, why would god friggin care if you're on the 50 yard line, or sitting alone in your car, or kneeling next to your bed?

Anyone can pray anywhere, at any time, and not a single person ever has to know about it.
Why the need make it a public display?

My opinion from the other post:

I'm a practicing Christian but I believe he's in the wrong.​
It would be fine for him to kneel and pray by himself out there, but not to gather others to join him, because that does affect other people. It's similar even to bosses that might have clubs or organizations they endorse and those that dont join may be concerned that they're being excluded or not receiving equal consideration for promotions, opportunities, etc.​
But praying on his own enables him free expression of his religious belief.​

I wonder why some people feel the need to make praying a public spectacle.

I also wonder if this football coach would support a Muslim prayer on the 50 yard line after a game.
Or Mormon. How about a Wiccan chant?

More to the point, I wonder which way the "Right Leaning SCOTUS" will judge.

Personally, I could care less if he prays on the 50 yard line. I think it's stupid, but he has every right to be stupid.
I really don't care especially if it's a silent prayer.

However, if students/players who don't participate in the prayer are somehow treated differently because they don't participate - FIRE the bastard.
Also however, if he's actively recruited/pressured players/students to join him - FIRE the bastard.

A voluntary moment of silence is fine. Assuming it really is purely voluntary.

Seriously, why would god friggin care if you're on the 50 yard line, or sitting alone in your car, or kneeling next to your bed?

Anyone can pray anywhere, at any time, and not a single person ever has to know about it.
Why the need make it a public display?

Sure seems the non christians get real upset about the christians having rights. If it were not for the religious foundation of this country I suspect lots of people would be without many of the basic rights.

My opinion from the other post:

I'm a practicing Christian but I believe he's in the wrong.​
It would be fine for him to kneel and pray by himself out there, but not to gather others to join him, because that does affect other people. It's similar even to bosses that might have clubs or organizations they endorse and those that dont join may be concerned that they're being excluded or not receiving equal consideration for promotions, opportunities, etc.​
But praying on his own enables him free expression of his religious belief.​
It's not forced,it's a choice.

For the party who claims they want to stay out of people lives the dems are sure frothing at the mouth to whine about people praying

It's not the Dems who are making a fuss, it's prayer guy's supporters. The bible says prayer shouldn't be a public spectacle, but there he goes.

A spectacle...

“You, however,” continued Jesus, “when you pray, go into your private room and, after shutting your door, pray to your Father who is in secret; then your Father who looks on in secret will repay you.” Matthew 6:6
Why do you think that’s relevant to the case before the Supreme Court?

It's not the Dems who are making a fuss, it's prayer guy's supporters. The bible says prayer shouldn't be a public spectacle, but there he goes.
Should the Supreme Court use the Bible as basis for its ruling?

Why do you think that’s relevant to the case before the Supreme Court?

It's not. Other than his sponsors are trying to give his peculiar form of religion the backing of the law. His own religious book forbids what he did.

It's not. Other than his sponsors are trying to give his peculiar form of religion the backing of the law. His own religious book forbids what he did.
It’s irrelevant what his religious book allows or forbids, by your own admission. The case is regarding the religious freedom of an individual to be free from governmental action to freely exercise his chosen religion.

Does he have the right? Probably. Is it right? Probably not...

It’s irrelevant what his religious book allows or forbids, by your own admission. The case is regarding the religious freedom of an individual to be free from governmental action to freely exercise his chosen religion.
His employer fired him. How does his flaunting his godliness in public collide with government action?

A spectacle...

Many people find comfort in prayers with others.

He was still the coach, and they were still his players.
Yes, but the question becomes was he leading prayer as an on duty coach at a school function, or as an individual on his own?

Yes, but the question becomes was he leading prayer as an on duty coach at a school function, or as an individual on his own?
From the sound of it, he was leading the prayer, he was still "on duty as a coach", and he was at a school function.

Given the court make up, the ruling will likely be in support of the coaches actions.

The case is regarding the religious freedom of an individual to be free from governmental action to freely exercise his chosen religion.

So if there's a football coach that happens to be a devout Muslim, and his team is playing a game during the evening, can he temporarily stop the game at sunset for a traditional Muslim Maghrib?

From the sound of it, he was leading the prayer, he was still "on duty as a coach", and he was at a school function.
If it occurred after the game though, then it might be considered the school function was over.

If it occurred after the game though, then it might be considered the school function was over.

School employees remain agents of the school system when on school grounds or attending an event. The school function, in this case doesn't exist from opening whistle until the clock runs out.

So one factor is location - school employee on school grounds.

The other is the school "event" starts hours before hand and continues until all participants (staff, players, coaches, and audience) have left the school grounds. The thought that he's only the coach between the opening whistle and final second on the clock, doesn't reflect reality of being a school employee.

Then there is the fact that Coaches are basically "salaried" employees, not "hourly" employees that punch a clock.

WW

Last edited:
So if there's a football coach that happens to be a devout Muslim, and his team is playing a game during the evening, can he temporarily stop the game at sunset for a traditional Muslim Maghrib?
I don’t know, but since that would require everyone at the game to participate whether they wanted to or not, probably not.

Back
Top Bottom