• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Supreme Court ponders the right to pray on the 50-yard line

The issue is the all encompassing ban in the so-called wall of separation imposed by an activist Progressive judiciary not the Constitution.

Atheism denys God and Progressive Marxists deny persecution of Christianity by government actors. Any little thing is a football coach threatened with losing his job for post game prayer, a Christian cake shop hit with crippling 6 figure fines for refusing to participate in homosexual, weddings, and the Little Sisters of the Poor threatened with $40K per day in fines for refusing to violate their belief birth control is a sin. In each case absolutist Leftists insist Christians must bow or face massive retaliation.

Simple accommodations such as leaving the football field after the game or selecting one of the many cake providers who serve homosexual weddings are rejected as abrogations of civil rights. Christian rights are subjugated to the whim of government but its a minor thing. Right.
There is no such ban and atheists are as free to not believe in a God as you are free to believe in one. You seem to think Christian "rights" supercede other rights? I assure you, they do not.

The Constitution guarantees the free exercise of religion. That doesn’t mean anything short of arrest is authorized.

There is far too much evidence of persecution for Christians to be considered paranoid. As this thread shows a football coach can be suspended from his job for a simple prayer students voluntarily attend.
Preventing Christians from coercing others to pray and not violating the separation of church and state isn't relgious persecution. Your religious rights stop where the equal secular and religious rights of others become involved.

There is a difference in "Denial/rejection of God(s)" and "Denial/rejection of God(s) Claims." Atheists are open to accepting that God(s) do indeed exist, should proof ever be presented God(s) do indeed exist. To date, there has never been any 'proof' presented any God(s) exist.
Wow, so Atheism doesn't reject God just so-called claims of God. This sophistry proposes a difference without a distinction. Atheists reject the Bible yet don't reject the God it documents. Preposterous.

Projecting Atheists would accept objective evidence of God is ridiculous. They have already rejected anything but random chance as the driving force for creation. Yeah sure that is a religious cult devoted to empirical evidence.

Preventing Christians from coercing others to pray and not violating the separation of church and state isn't relgious persecution. Your religious rights stop where the equal secular and religious rights of others become involved.
Zero evidence of coercion. Zero evidence of attempting to establish a State religion. Other than that, brilliant post.

Wow, so Atheism doesn't reject God just so-called claims of God. This sophistry proposes a difference without a distinction. Atheists reject the Bible yet don't reject the God it documents. Preposterous.

Projecting Atheists would accept objective evidence of God is ridiculous. They have already rejected anything but random chance as the driving force for creation. Yeah sure that is a religious cult devoted to empirical evidence.
Objective evidence doesn't rely on faith and belief. It is testable and provable as fact, regardless of a person's religious beliefs. You didn't have any.

What is the empirical evidence for any creator deity?

Zero evidence of coercion. Zero evidence of attempting to establish a State religion. Other than that, brilliant post.
He is a coach and the players are expected to follow his lead. That is religious coercion when he is on duty by the state as a coach.

Would you like me to explain that he works for a secular state as a coach and not in any religious capacity? Religion is not to be part of his job duties as a public school coach. If he wants to pray on the job then he should work for a religious high school that agrees with his beliefs, but the activities of public schools are to be secular for the protection of the religious and secular rights of all people and the non-religious use of taxpayer money.

So much vitriol --- so much disinformation/misinformation --- so much disdain for that/those which you clearly do not understand. IOWs--- A 'you' problem I'm so very glad isn't a 'me' problem. ;)

Pretty significant evidence of the potential for coercion

Every kid is think pray to play whether he admits it or not

Where is the evidence for God? Why should atheists, or anyone else for that matter, simply accept any claims for God or the notion of God itself without evidence?

More Pythia in the temple mind reading. You must make a fortune ripping people off as a palm reader and alleging mental telepathy. There are no facts or evidence supporting your mental telepathy ability or accuracy of it, and no facts or evidence for what you allege was the coach’s reasons. None.

Do you enjoy your membership in the geocentric club? What are the fees for inclusion in Q’Anon? You must know, they, like you, have grand ideas of what is alleged to be reality but no facts or evidence for their version of reality.
This is one of your more nonsensicial absurdist replies.

Where is the evidence for God? Why should atheists, or anyone else for that matter, simply accept any claims for God or the notion of God itself without evidence?
I note the abscence of any attempt to defend the sophistry.

Evidence for God is a subject for another thread.

The coach isn't praying in the locker room.
His job isn't as a chaplain. He should not be praying publically on the job where the players can see him. He is a secular coach. Matthew 6:6-7. Jesus told people not to pray in public. Maybe the coach should take the hint, or is obeying the gospels also a violation of his religious beliefs?

I note the abscence of any attempt to defend the sophistry.

Evidence for God is a subject for another thread.
You have absolutely no objective evidence for any creator deity and you know it. That is why you are trying to deflect now.

A line, not necessarily “the line” is when they are enaged in the activity they are expressly employed to perform, such as teaching, or hallway monitor when not teaching, etcetera.

So, a public school teacher required to be at school at 730am and in her home room by 740am, whereas her official acts of taking attendance, reciting the pledge, and beginning instruction at 800am, may read the Bible at her desk in the presence of students entering the room early and before 800am.

And that is the problem. How is this line determined legally? A teacher may silently read just about anything they want to in between times when they are doing their jobs. What matters is what they do verbally out loud in front of students at any time during their work day.

There is no such ban and atheists are as free to not believe in a God as you are free to believe in one. You seem to think Christian "rights" supercede other rights? I assure you, they do not.
No, the wall of separation has no purpose but to ban religious expression except atheism.

No again, Christians have equal rights to other religions including atheism. The objection is to the selective purging of Christian expression. My earlier post gave multiple examples.

The coach isn't praying in the locker room.

He certainly was until the school told him to stop.... That's when he started pushing to pray on the field...

When Joseph Kennedy was hired by BSD in 2008, his post-game prayers were initially silent and private. Kennedy v. Bremerton Sch. Dist. (Kennedy III), 991 F.3d 1004, 1010 (9th Cir. 2021). Over the ensuing years, however, Kennedy made it his mission to intertwine religion with football. Eventually, he led the team in prayer in the locker room before each game, and some players began to join him for his post-game prayer, too, where his practice ultimately evolved to include full-blown religious speeches to, and prayers with, players from both teams after the game, conducted while the players were still on the field and while fans remained in the stands. Id.

His job isn't as a chaplain. He should not be praying publically on the job where the players can see him. He is a secular coach. Matthew 6:6-7. Jesus told people not to pray in public. Maybe the coach should take the hint, or is obeying the gospels also a violation of his religious beliefs?

You have absolutely no objective evidence for any creator deity and you know it. That is why you are trying to deflect now.
Not praying where the players can see the coach? That's true religious freedom. Not.

The response is classic athiest denial attempting to preclude further discussion.

He certainly was until the school told him to stop.... That's when he started pushing to pray on the field...

When Joseph Kennedy was hired by BSD in 2008, his post-game prayers were initially silent and private. Kennedy v. Bremerton Sch. Dist. (Kennedy III), 991 F.3d 1004, 1010 (9th Cir. 2021). Over the ensuing years, however, Kennedy made it his mission to intertwine religion with football. Eventually, he led the team in prayer in the locker room before each game, and some players began to join him for his post-game prayer, too, where his practice ultimately evolved to include full-blown religious speeches to, and prayers with, players from both teams after the game, conducted while the players were still on the field and while fans remained in the stands. Id.

I stand corrected. I should have noted the coach no longer is praying in the locker room making the question moot.

Not praying where the players can see the coach? That's true religious freedom. Not.

The response is classic athiest denial attempting to preclude further discussion.
Our religious freedoms are the right to worship on his own time and the right to believe. Religious freedom is not unlimited and is very obviously not part of his job. The state is not endorsing atheism. The state is instead of keeping all religions out of public schools as per the separation of church and state to be absolutely neutral on the issue of religion. He is a state actor and such religion is not part of his job description. If that idea is intolerable to him he can work somewhere else.

No, the wall of separation has no purpose but to ban religious expression except atheism.

No again, Christians have equal rights to other religions including atheism. The objection is to the selective purging of Christian expression. My earlier post gave multiple examples.
The separation of chich and state does not support atheism because that would not be separate. I am a Humanist and the state cannot support humanism (atheists) because that would also be a violation of the Establishment Clause. The separation of church and state is to keep all religion or the lack of religious belief out of the actions of the government and the use of taxpayer dollars.

The separation of church and state means that the state cannot support religious belief over non-belief as well as support one belief system or sect over the other. The entire concert of religion or lack thereof is to be kept out of public policy and government action.
We cannot all have equal rights to believe or not to believe if the state is supporting religious beliefs or one belief over another, so the only pragmatic idea is to keep the religious belief and the actions of the state absolutely separate for the protection of the equal religious and secular rights all of people.

Thos' Jefferson described the idea in his famous letter to the Danbury Baptists,

Gentlemen

The affectionate sentiments of esteem and approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful and zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, & in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more and more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection & blessing of the common father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves & your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem.

Th Jefferson

Some guy named James Madison wrote this, You might have even heard of him.
"Strongly guarded as is the separation between Religion & Govt in the Constitution of the United States," Madison wrote, and he declared, "practical distinction between Religion and Civil Government is essential to the purity of both, and as guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States."

Last edited:

You clearly do not understand what the separation of church and state means. Religious expression is not being purged. That's just hyperbolic paranoia.

I stand corrected. I should have noted the coach no longer is praying in the locker room making the question moot.

Does that provide grounds for the school district to not renew his contract?

You clearly do not understand what the separation of church and state means. Religious expression is not being purged. That's just hyperbolic paranoia.
You clearly didn't offer any explanation in response to the documented instances of government persecution targeting Christianity presented in my post. Instead, you clearly generated bombastic accusations with nothing supporting them, clearly.

You clearly didn't offer any explanation in response to the documented instances of government persecution targeting Christianity presented in my post. Instead, you clearly generated bombastic accusations with nothing supporting them, clearly.
Knock off the paranoia. There is no targeting of Christianity because people of other religions weren't permitted to do what he was forbidden to do. that public relgious display during a public school event was forbidden by all religions equally

Knock off the paranoia. There is no targeting of Christianity because people of other religions weren't permitted to do what he was forbidden to do. that public relgious display during a public school event was forbidden by all religions equally
Where is the evidence other religions were forbidden from public prayer?

The prayer was after the game was over. The event was over. Atheists have ample time to flee.

Atheists have ample time to flee.
I just listened to the entire audio. The word "atheist" is not mentioned one time. It was the school, the school superintendent, and the school district that took issue with what this coach did ---not atheists---not any non-Christian religious sect/denomination. He broke school policy of his own accord 'after' being told to cease and desist, and then started pissing and moaning when the school district admonished him for breaking school/school district policy he was well aware existed. Appears like your angst and vitriol over this issue is severely misguided.

Back
Top Bottom