• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Simple Remedy for Jan. 6 Trutherism

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

6/19/21
Just because Arizona Republican Rep. Paul Gosar voted against establishing a commission to investigate the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol doesn’t mean he’s not ready to use the power of his office to stage an inquiry into the topic by other means. Along with Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) and Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), Gosar is one of the leading proponents of a brand of Jan. 6 revisionism that seeks to unsettle the consensus view that frames the Capitol disturbances as a dangerous uprising. Some theorists of this ilk go so far as to insist the riot was as peaceful as a pasture of lambkins and that it was actually Antifa or “fake Trump protesters” that hammered and bear-sprayed the United States Capitol Police. Gosar says the riots were conducted by “peaceful patriots“ and that “outright propaganda and lies” about the day have been deployed against “law-abiding U.S. citizens, especially Trump voters” to paint them as political criminals. Senator Ron Johnson has advanced the theory that “agents provocateurs” were behind the violence. This week, Fox News Channel host Tucker Carlson joined them in Jan. 6 trutherdom with a tangled commentary that proposed that the FBI itself helped perpetrate the riots. How long must we suffer?

The short answer is “forever.” The human appetite for alternative, and usually hare-brained, explanations for why events blossomed the way they did can never be sated. So journalists like MSNBC’s Chris Hayes, The Washington Post’s Aaron Blake, CNN’s Marshall Cohen, and HuffPost’s Christopher Mathias and Ryan J. Reilly, have done the right and necessary thing by providing a rapid-response this week to knock down Carlson’s FBI allegation that an “unindicted co-conspirator” described in Jan. 6 criminal charges was an FBI informant who helped plan the assault. One unfortunate thing about these rebuttals is that they will “amplify,” as some of the lefty press critics might say, the original Carlson rubbish. But how catastrophic is that compared to letting the Carlson chicanery go uncontested? Unless Republicans change their stripes—fat chance of that—we can never expect the current Congress to answer our questions definitively. That leaves it to the press to sort the Jan. 6 sense from the nonsense wherever and whenever it appears. It can be as grimy and odious as emptying a septic tank an ounce at a time, but this is the life we journalists have chosen. Ladies and gentlemen, deploy your teaspoons!

The GOP must whitewash their role in the January 6 insurrection. Their electability in 2022/2024 may depend on how successful their 1/6 revisionism actually is.

As long as we have media septic tanks like FOX, OAN, and Newsmax, right-wing conspiracists will enjoy far-reaching platforms to regurgitate their vomit.

As long as we have media septic tanks like FOX, OAN, and Newsmax, right-wing conspiracists will enjoy far-reaching platforms to regurgitate their vomit.
Good news is they are pretty much preaching to the converted and in the big scheme of things the percentage is small. IMO more will fall away from this crap than will join in. In other words it shrinks rather than grows.

The GOP must whitewash their role in the January 6 insurrection. Their electability in 2022/2024 may depend on how successful their 1/6 revisionism actually is.

Ya'll are so desperate to keep your propaganda in the cycle for two reasons 1) to distract away from the ongoing violence by the left and 2) you have nothing else.

The increasing gun violence because of GOP refusal to help quell it will be propagandized by the Dems in 2022 with always-running 6th Jan insurgency vids.

Disagree.

Their best bet is to distance themselves from the January 6 insurrection. The more distance they have, the better they will do in midterms.

Oddsmakers have the GOP picking up seats in both Houses.

https://www.oddschecker.com/us/insi...-of-bets-on-republicans-retaking-house-senate
They also had Trump winning in 2020. Odds makers are basing their predictions on past history. There is nothing similar going on now to past history. If democrats keep the momentum going at 2020 levels, we'll do well.

Republicans just don't have the same grass roots enthusiasm as dems do. So I guess we'll all have to wait till next November.

Politico lol

Good news is they are pretty much preaching to the converted and in the big scheme of things the percentage is small. IMO more will fall away from this crap than will join in. In other words it shrinks rather than grows.
Hillbilly Bob's political excitement has waned now that we're back to boring politicians.

Truth is Jan 6th is fading in the general population’s mind. You guys keep trying to stir the shit soup but fewer and fewer people are lining up for seconds.

Truth is Jan 6th is fading in the general population’s mind. You guys keep trying to stir the shit soup but fewer and fewer people are lining up for seconds.
I totally disagree with that. CNN had an excellent 2 hour documentary last night about everything Jan. 6th. I highly recommend if you haven't seen it, go find it and watch it. If you are one of the ones that refuses to, then you are part of the problem.

I will never forget the attempted insurrection on our federal government, nor do I ever want to.

So only the lies your support should be allowed?

I did NAZI that coming.

I totally disagree with that. CNN had an excellent 2 hour documentary last night about everything Jan. 6th. I highly recommend if you haven't seen it, go find it and watch it. If you are one of the ones that refuses to, then you are part of the problem.

I will never forget the attempted insurrection on our federal government, nor do I ever want to.
Imagine if Dems wanted to forget about 9-11 6 months after it happened.
Every piece of legislation all Dems voted against, didn't want a commission.
Imagine......

Imagine......
I don't have to imagine. There are no similarities between white supremacists attacking our capitol and radical Islamic terrorists attacking our country.

One attack from the outside and one attack from within. The one from within was all based on lies. Trump lies. Disgusting conspiracy theories.

Sometimes I wonder just how different this would be if the rioters had actually gotten their hands on Pence, how different would the response be?

Journalism is not the best place for 1/6 to be resolved. However, my take on this is that if the GOP continues to resist a 1/6 Independent Commission, they deserve whatever they get for how information on 1/6 is revealed and what information is revealed. They have already made their own bed of Donnie shit and have been given ample opportunity to climb out and wash off. They won't do it.

I don't have to imagine. There are no similarities between white supremacists attacking our capitol and radical Islamic terrorists attacking our country.

One attack from the outside and one attack from within. The one from within was all based on lies. Trump lies. Disgusting conspiracy theories.

Sometimes I wonder just how different this would be if the rioters had actually gotten their hands on Pence, how different would the response be?
GQP would simply do what they are doing now - distancing themselves.
If the terrorists got their hands on Pelosi, the GQP would blame Pelosi for inflaming rhetoric and not working with GQP.

LOL, “CNN” and “excellent” don’t belong in the same sentence unless there’s also a negative. The people still watching Crappy Non-News are the problem, not people like me. Fortunately, fewer and fewer people are watching CNN

All good Americans are going to approve of the continual running of January 6th footage from July 16 on every station (sans Fox) to election day next year.

All good Americans are going to approve of the continual running of January 6th footage from July 16 on every station (sans Fox) to election day next year
I can only imagine that those calling this a " moderate" riot or minimizing it in any way have had very selective and limited exposure to the video and police comments. There may or may not be additional video from a different perspective but even if there is some that show that some police seem to be supporting the rioters that can't negate the other videos showing extreme violence and mob mentality including very clear threats against the lives of Pelosi and Pence. Both can coexist.

Imagine......

What sort of deranged convolution of thought sees parallels between citizens demanding that the Congress reflect their wishes in a Constitutionally mandated process and an attack by foreign enemies?

What sort of deranged convolution of thought sees parallels between citizens demanding that the Congress reflect their wishes in a Constitutionally mandated process and an attack by foreign enemies?
Are you talking about by storming the capitol?

You mean the similarities where terrorists attacked our land? One happened to be domestic terrorists, trying to stop Democracy. Hang the 2nd most powerful person in America. The other was foreign terrorists, trying to cause chaos and massive death. Both attacked symbols of freedom. Domestic terrorists focused on the Capitol while foreign terrorists focused on World Trade Building.

I get it, Trumplicans view these domestic terrorists as "citizens demanding that Congress reflect their wishes". Of course, in every other Presidential election, before 2020, no group of "citizens" invaded the Capitol because they were unhappy their guy lost. In no other Presidential election did "citizens" want to hang the VP BEFORE he, the VP, did HIS constitutional duty.

Insurgency is not a Constitutionally mandated process, it is a crime against We the People.

Insurgency is not a Constitutionally mandated process, it is a crime against We the People.
I feel that some forget that voting is the way we, as citizens, get to voice our opinion.
I would be curious to see how many of the insurrectionists actually voted in 2020. Or did they just invade the capitol because they wanted a dictatorship?

Back
Top Bottom