• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The reason I respect Republicans

George_Washington said:
When has that ever been our, "official policy" ?

An Aug. 1, 2002, memo from the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel, addressed to Gonzales, said that torturing suspected al Qaeda members abroad "may be justified" and that international laws against torture "may be unconstitutional if applied to interrogation" conducted against suspected terrorists.

In the view expressed by the Justice Department memo, which differs from the view of the Army, physical torture "must be equivalent in intensity to the pain accompanying serious physical injury, such as organ failure, impairment of bodily function, or even death." For a cruel or inhuman psychological technique to rise to the level of mental torture, the Justice Department argued, the psychological harm must last "months or even years."

SOURCE

Here are Gonzales actual memos (all PDF files):

Well, regardless, I still hate to see our soldiers be harmed in any way and I don't think people give them enough support when they are.

About Mcain...he probably won't get the Republican endorsement just because he is a lot more moderate than most Republicans would want him to be. I personally don't agree with him on campain finance reform. However, I do respect him as a person. The poor guy spent 5 years in a Vietnamese prison. I don't think any of us can imagine what that must have been like. It's amazing he got through it.

Back
Top Bottom