• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The question that has yet to be answered to my satisfaction (re: Snowden)

I'd like it to be unconstitutional, but it's not. And no, not even in principle. We have only to look back to the founder's own time and the example of Benedict Arnold who was caught because we intercepted his mail and read it, all without his knowledge or permission (sans warrant too).

I mean, government does bad things all the time, made an entire history of it. Doesn't excuse future transgressions, nor mean that it is unreasonable and beyond our abilities to constrain it.

As long as we maintain a basic semblance of Capitalism there will always be corporations to deal with.

As far as credit ratings go, you have to deal with the data they have but you can contest stuff on your report. Your control is limited and unpleasant to deal with but it isn't non-existent.

There will always be corps, and we will always have to deal with their actions, but corps are under no obligation to do business with you

And while we do have the right to contest items on our report, those items are only a part of what determines your credit score. There's a lot that we never get to see. They are free to use any criteria they choose to calculate your credit rating, and that rating has a profound impact on people's lives, including their employment, housing, etc.

If you're emailing people in Pakistan, Yemen and God knows where else Jihad freaks call home, or if you use a series of routers specifically designed to hide where you send your emails and receive your cell calls, I think the NSA better go through your files with a fine tooth comb. And, no. Its not anti-democratic nor unconstitutional.

Is that what the founders said or some Cold War-era professor of Constitutional law sitting in his armchair?

Is that what the founders said or some Cold War-era professor of Constitutional law sitting in his armchair?

The founders?

What are you, 5?

There will always be corps, and we will always have to deal with their actions, but corps are under no obligation to do business with you

At issue, you can choose not to do business with a corporation, you cannot choose to do business with the government.

And while we do have the right to contest items on our report, those items are only a part of what determines your credit score. There's a lot that we never get to see. They are free to use any criteria they choose to calculate your credit rating, and that rating has a profound impact on people's lives, including their employment, housing, etc.
There's a galactic difference between "corporations are under no obligation to do business with you" and "you are under obligation to do business with the government".

There's a galactic difference between "corporations are under no obligation to do business with you" and "you are under obligation to do business with the government".

Of course, but that has nothing to do with what Lutherf and I were discussing.

Back
Top Bottom