• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The President displays leadership on Syria ...this is another victory for him

• Assad gassed his people ...and he did it several times.
  • The President spoke ...and Assad paused ....and momentarily stopped gassing his people.
  • Assad is plugged into our political system and sensing the right-wing on his side ...started to make threats should America attack.
  • Obama didn't let up...didn't blink and informed Assad he would attack no matter what congress say.
  • Now Assad wants to give up his WMD's.

I ask ...why .....why did Putin and Assad suddenly decide to give up the WMD's? Was it out of the .."goodness of their hearts".....Or was it because Obama had his finger on the trigger?

Obama is a master ...score another big foreign affair victory for him!! :2wave:

If he was a master he would have prevented it in the first place. Hes stumbling through it, making empty threats, then backing away, then getting lucky with jokes.

Finger on the trigger? It take him more than 3 weeks to pull the trigger?

As of last nights speech, the WH is abandoning any trigger until the Putin / France UN resolution falls apart.... then it's back to "shoot first and ask for forgiveness". What was he thinking with that the whole take it to Congress thing?

As of last nights speech, the WH is abandoning any trigger until the Putin / France UN resolution falls apart.... then it's back to "shoot first and ask for forgiveness". What was he thinking with that the whole take it to Congress thing?

You need someone to share the blame with if it all falls apart.

I suspect he was thinking..."holy ****...did I REALLY say all those things? And did I REALLY send John Kerry out to say all those stupid things? How can I get myself off the hook and blame all of this on other people? Oh...wait...I have an idea...congress...yeah..."

Reading the thread title I was rminded of the black knight scene in Monty Python.

He has his legs and arms chopped off .

" It's just a flesh wound".

LOL

Obama just clusterf$$ed this Syria thing ten times over.

For people like me who figured out he was an empty suit a long time ago, I have to say it's fun to gloat a little. :)

You need someone to share the blame with if it all falls apart.

Well to be honest, I've yet to see Obama share blame. Sharing blame would be a refreshing change for our President.

I
don't have much use for Mr. Putin, but if this leads to real peace in Syria I wouldn't fight too hard against giving someone in Russia a Nobel Peace Prize.

I Don't believe that this is a victory for anybody or any thing, except 'common' sense.

Anytime that the different sides in a dispute like the civil war in Syria decide to talk instead of fight about it, it's a victory for the entire world.

"Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to ones own beliefs.Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others" ~ John F. Kennedy

But it DIDN'T stop Assad from "bombing his own people", in fact thanks to Obama's Red Line, the issue of Assad killing his own people has been completely sidestepped.

I meam why would you give Putin anything ? Assad just used the opportunity to switch over to Conventional munitions.

So since Russia will block any binding, enforceable UN resolution to destroy Syrian WMDs, how will it be enforced? And since Syria is in a state of civil war with military bases and assets changing hands, how would you account for all WMDs in country?

In other words, Obama is set to agree to a sucker's bargain where he gets zero enforceable gain and Assad and Russia get immediate and tangible security.

This is only the best solution because the alternative is dumping the US into a proxy war with Russia where the closest thing to an ally we would have is a group of heart eating barbarians who actually want to kill us.

So since Russia will block any binding, enforceable UN resolution to destroy Syrian WMDs, how will it be enforced? And since Syria is in a state of civil war with military bases and assets changing hands, how would you account for all WMDs in country?
I don't even see it getting that far.

RT.com said:
"Of course, all of this will only mean anything if the United States and other nations supporting it tell us that they're giving up their plan to use force against Syria. You can’t really ask Syria, or any other country, to disarm unilaterally while military action against it is being contemplated," President Putin said on Tuesday. Putin: Syria chem arms handover will work only if US calls off strike ? RT News

France and the US want a Chapter 7 resolution which will allow force if necessary, Russia and Syria are pushing for Chapter 6 which is reserved for a diplomatic solution only, no military or force allowed. That's a huge hurdle which the WH will not give up - not after all this talk of military strikes. The optics and domestic/international political fallout would be devastating if the U.S. agreed to Chapter 6.

In other words, Obama is set to agree to a sucker's bargain where he gets zero enforceable gain and Assad and Russia get immediate and tangible security.
Unless Putin who has veto power on the UN Security Council capitulates to a Chapter 7 resolution, I don't see Obama agreeing.

This is only the best solution because the alternative is dumping the US into a proxy war with Russia where the closest thing to an ally we would have is a group of heart eating barbarians who actually want to kill us.
Whatever the solution, we'll be talking about this until December at least, possibly into next year.

And now more of that great 'leadership'. Since he 'meant' for Russia to step up all along he must have meant for Russia to commit to more arms to Iran as well. That Barrack guy...man...he is some kind of leader! Whooooooo!

Well to be honest, I've yet to see Obama share blame. Sharing blame would be a refreshing change for our President.

By sharing the blame I mean giving it all to someone else. Just like he shares the credit, by taking it all for himself.

Back
Top Bottom