• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The President displays leadership on Syria ...this is another victory for him

First has anyone heard of another Chemical weapon attack since Obama spoke against it?
The next thing we are learning is ...Assad and his minions are crapping their pants at the thought of a US strike.
Assad for all his talk may be left defense less as his cronies flee for their lives... should the US attack. As a result ...Assad is willing to give up his weapon.

All along what was Obama's intent ....to stop the use of WMD in the region, and to protect the US. And it seems his skillful leadership now have several avenues at which this would be achieved. Whether by a direct attack ...or by Assad giving up his WMD ...Obama will end up reducing Syria power...and their ability to attack anyone.....brilliant!! :bravo:

This is a direct tie to US security because with them holding WMD there was always the chance of it getting into the wrong hands.
How juvenile is the right wing in thinking the ...red-line talk was the issue. It wasn't ...Obama will allow you to have your .."fun"...but the man is heady and have a level of maturity that will not stop him from doing what's right for the country.

Sorry guys ...duped again by the master!!:2wave:

That is a very optimistic view of how this went down. Seems more to me like obama stepped way out of line with his threats, made some claims that were stupid, and got bailed out at the last minute while he was trying to put together some bush level BS about chemical weapons. Don't get me wrong, I am glad the wussy spineless Obama came back and we will hopefully avoid getting into this because Bush would have pressed on with the stupid. It is preferable for the president to back off his gigantic mistake though i would rather him not go full blown retard on issues like this. I don't see this as a talented manipulation of the people around. I agree assad will hide chemical weapons, and we have given him time to do so. The next time a chemical weapon drops and we do not know where it came from he can point to the fact he willingly let inspectors in and certainly they would have found the weapons.

It mitigates the damage of an actual war and waste of military resources over some stupidity, but this is in no way an Obama victory.

No, I'm looking at it through the eyes of the
Russians. You're looking at it through the eyes of the American media.

Putin has given up Assads one major deterrent due to a vague red line over something he claims his ally wasnt guilty of. That looks incredibly weak by any measure.

WHAT !!???

You actually think Asaad and the Russians are going to make good on their promise ?

You think Assad's going to give up all his Chemical weapons ?

WHAT !!???

You actually think Asaad and the Russians are going to make good on their promise ?

You think Assad's going to give up all his Chemical weapons ?

Sure he is, just like Russia is not looking at Snowdens information.

Assad will turn over a bunch of canisters filled with concentrated OJ to the Russians, the Russians will claim to have verified it is a very deadly weapons stock and say they will immediately destroy it, Russia will declare Assad has given up all his chemical weapons and is now not a WMD monster, Obama will say 'Look at what I accomplished' and Putin will have a healthy breakfast while trying not to laugh so hard the OJ shoots out of his nose.

Sure he is, just like

Russia is not looking at Snowdens information.

Assad will turn over a bunch of canisters filled with concentrated OJ to the Russians, the Russians will claim to have verified it is a very deadly weapons stock and say they will immediately destroy it, Russia will declare Assad has given up all his chemical weapons and is now not a WMD monster, Obama will say 'Look at what I accomplished' and Putin will have a healthy breakfast while trying not to laugh so hard the OJ shoots out of his nose.

The naivete of some people is astounding.

Yes cannisters with the old skull and cross bones on them that contain TANG©.

A few photo Ops later and with the " crisis is averted " people like "thinkforyourself " will come in here and embarrass themselves even more than they already have.

Lol...

the Canisters will have the words " Chemical Weapons " written on them in English only with the skull and crossbones painted right underneath and the liberal media will eat it up.

This thread makes me giggle!

:lamo

Funny..thoughout the event it was never about removing Syria's WMDs but rather about 'punishing' them. Obama so completely ****ed this thing up that he managed to make PUTIN look like a statesman. But...people claiming this as a 'victory' for Obama? Come on...thats just funny as hell!

Yeah ..I know ....it also took a lot of courage to have been against the Iraq war too.

LOL...here's a joke ....it takes courage to be against the lowest rated congress ever....:lamo

The house is filled with carpet baggers buddy .... your TEA P-U-U-U-R-R-T-Y candidates are not respected when they crawl out of the jerry rigged rat holes that spawned them.

Obama out-smart you buffoons again on this one ...and while at it ... he will make the region just a tad more safer for America.

You misfired on that one.

misfire.jpg

I have just as much disdain for any partisan hack regardless of party or ideology, including Tea Party and people that display the same as you did.

Funny..thoughout the event it was never about removing Syria's WMDs but rather about 'punishing' them. Obama so completely ****ed this thing up that he managed to make PUTIN look like a statesman. But..
.people claiming this as a 'victory' for Obama? Come on...thats just funny as hell!

I don't have much use for Mr. Putin, but if this leads to real peace in Syria I wouldn't fight too hard against giving someone in Russia a Nobel Peace Prize.

I Don't believe that this is a victory for anybody or any thing, except 'common' sense.

Anytime that the different sides in a dispute like the civil war in Syria decide to talk instead of fight about it, it's a victory for the entire world.

"Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to ones own beliefs.Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others" ~ John F. Kennedy

Last edited:
Well at least they are killing their own in a more acceptable manner. If they would just it the proper way we would avoid all this hand wringing.

"AMMAN/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Syria accepted a Russian proposal on Tuesday to give up chemical weapons and win a reprieve from U.S. military strikes, while its jets returned to the sky to bomb rebel positions in Damascus for the first time since the West threatened force."

Syria seeks reprieve from U.S. strikes with Russia plan

I don't have much use for Mr. Putin, but if this leads to real peace in Syria I wouldn't fight too hard against giving someone in Russia a Nobel Peace Prize.

I Don't believe that this is a victory for anybody or any thing, except 'common' sense.

Anytime that the different sides in a dispute like the civil war in Syria decide to talk instead of fight about it, it's a victory for the entire world.

"Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to ones own beliefs.Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others" ~ John F. Kennedy
I think Obama got a taste of "common sense" when the UK said no. Had they not, we would have already launched whatever attack he had in mind and we would be in the midst of round two. As it is...Syria is still livin large, Russia is a greater presence and backer of Assad, and the Obama looks like a fool. Thats not a luxury for us to have when he is our Commander in Chief.

Im sure they will claim some sort of victory in all this. However that completely flies in the face of the rhetoric spun by the president, Pelosi, and Kerry since 21 August. But hey...how does that saying go...there aint no wrong way to do the right thing....

Obama gets credit for painting himself into a corner, and setting up Putin to be his savior..... for now. That may change.

How? He denied that the Syrian gov used chemical weapons and is now trying to get his ally to hand over its arsenal of which he apparently was not guilty of using.

That's pretty poor leadership.

Who is getting things done? Putin, who is following along? Obama.

I think Obama got a taste of "common sense" when the UK said no. Had they not, we would have already launched whatever attack he had in mind and we would be in the midst of round two. As it is...Syria is still livin large, Russia is a greater presence and backer of Assad, and the Obama looks like a fool. Thats not a luxury for us to have when he is our Commander in Chief.

Im sure they will claim some sort of victory in all this. However that completely flies in the face of the rhetoric spun by the president, Pelosi, and Kerry since 21 August. But hey...how does that saying go...
there aint no wrong way to do the right thing...

Correct.

That pretty well covers it.

Obama gets credit for painting himself into a corner, and setting up Putin to be his savior..... for now.
That may change.

If President Obama made it rain cookies some far right losers would be complaining about a milk shortage.

Some people are always looking at the world through ****-colored glasses.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

I agree...I had no doubt in my mind(mentioned that few times here also) that we would not attack Syria as Obama was the man to stop Israel from attacking Iran...Despite Republicans and some blue dog Democrats Calling for Blood and drooling at another invasion and air strike and killing and blowing up people and things... the air strike would serve no purpose. Invasion would server no purpose. Now the questions is would this help to curtail the civil war in Syria, or perhaps end it?...then what. If not Assad then who? Look at Egypt, or Libya...Democracy is all good and dandy but it is also messy and not always goes in the way that people want.

the question is do you prefer a brutal dictator and a stable country or you prefer democracy and unstable country for a long while?

Many countries in the middle east need to go through what I call Social Evolution as Europe and US did. Those times were transient and violent, we can not achieve peace unless this thing happens, the question is can we afford to let it happen given that our and most of the world's economy is tied to their resources?

Diving Mullah

Nicely put, I agree.

If President Obama made it rain cookies some far right losers would be complaining about a milk shortage.

Some people are always looking at the world through ****-colored glasses.

When it rains ****, I don't see a good reason to call them cookies. If Obama did make it rain cookies, we wouldn't be worrying about Syria now would we... ;)

When it rains ****, I don't see a good reason to call them cookies. If Obama did make it rain cookies,
we wouldn't be worrying about Syria now would
we... ;)

If you are worrying about Syria you are doing that by yourself.

I don't give a **** what happens in Syria. I won't lose a nickel if the whole place goes up in smoke.

In other words: Not my problem.

If you are worrying about Syria you are doing that by yourself.

I don't give a **** what happens in Syria. I won't lose a nickel if the whole place goes up in smoke.

In other words: Not my problem.

I'd like it not to be my problem either, which is why I'm not interested in calling the **** storm my President is going to speak about tonight, cookies.

It's only a victory insofar as he's managed to avoid the Congress voting no on his proposal...for now. Here's how this will go. We say we're open to it, they say great let's get a proposal together, either their proposal will suck or we will assert demands that they are unwilling to accept, the whole thing falls apart in a couple weeks, the American public will largely forget about why they opposed force making it easier for Congress to authorize it, boom. My guess this is a ploy by the Russians and Assad to make the President look naive and buy more time to prepare. Unfortunately the president is stuck here because he pretty much has to consider it or look like a warmonger. In the passenger seat once again.

I'd like it not to be my problem either,
which is why I'm not interested in calling the **** storm my President is going to speak about tonight, cookies

That is your choice, which you have to make for yourself.

Syria has zero effect on my life, there are other things that I am a lot more concerned about.

Like whether or not it will rain tomorrow because I plan on pouring a lot of concrete.

Last edited:
  • Assad gassed his people ...and he did it several times.
  • The President spoke ...and Assad paused ....and momentarily stopped gassing his people.
  • Assad is plugged into our political system and sensing the right-wing on his side ...started to make threats should America attack.
  • Obama didn't let up...didn't blink and informed Assad he would attack no matter what congress say.
  • Now Assad wants to give up his WMD's.

I ask ...why .....why did Putin and Assad suddenly decide to give up the WMD's? Was it out of the .."goodness of their hearts".....Or was it because Obama had his finger on the trigger?

Obama is a master ...score another big foreign affair victory for him!! :2wave:

• score another big foreign affair victory for Obama?

• Yes, it's one Muslim Brotherhood victory after another. North Africa is in flames, Europe is more and more under Sharia law and Persia (Iran) is marching through the Biblical promised land with the King of the North's backing. Obama topples one leader after another, sowing hate and death and war in his wake. Christian's and Israelites persecuted to horrible deaths, while Obama plays golf. Yes, it's one "foreign affair victory" after another for Obama - The Destroyer.

Luckily, Obama is able to apply this same expertise to the domestic economy. Destroying hundreds of years of carefully developed incentives. Likewise sowing hate, jealousy and legalized theft by majority-rules. Hate the rich. No sense working when it's easier to "take from the rich" at the voter's box. "Gee, wonder why the economy just can't seem to get better? Maybe we should regulate another industry out of existence?" Good job Barry.

Last edited:

• I ask ...why .....why did Putin and Assad suddenly decide to give up the WMD's? Was it out of the .."goodness of their hearts".....Or was it because Obama had his finger on the trigger?

• Finger on the trigger? It take him more than 3 weeks to pull the trigger?

Back
Top Bottom