• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) And The United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA

Well yeah, I am saying across the board; or not at all.

If it's government mandating a benifit, whether minimum wage, healthcare, financial assistance, etc., I believe it should apply to all citizens.

So if the government mandates 16 an hour minimum for autoworkers, it should be 16 an hour minimum for all workers. Or, it should be not at all.

Same with heathcare. Around 35-40 percent of the country gets government paid for healthcare, in the form of disability, Medicaid, Medicare, VA, etc. I would not do that. I'd have Medicaid for all. As for welfare and social security payments, I'd nix that, too. I'd role-out a modest guaranteed income.

That (bolded above) may look good on paper, but consider reality for just a bit first. A $16/hour MW, on a full-time basis, is about $32K/year - meaning that a two MW worker household would then make about $64K/year - over the current US median household income of about $59K. That alone leaves our household (my girlfriend and I) living on a combined Social Security (SS) income of under $29K/year - less than a single (full-time) MW job would then pay, rather than more as it does now.

With a guaranteed annual income (GAI) system also in play (for everyone age 18 and up?) that lowers the value of the MW by whatever the annual GAI amount is. Let's say the GAI amount is $20K/year so the effective yield of that $16/hour MW (on a full-time basis) is no longer $32K/year it is then only $12K/year (over the GAI amount) or about $6/hour - so why work at the new lower effective MW hourly rate? If our (two person) household got an AGI of $40K/year (about $11K more than we get in SS now) then someone's taxes would have to go up considerably to pay us that added money not to work but to get more in federal entitlements.

Adding "free" UHC on top of the ($20K/year?) AGI (even with UHC at $5K/year per person cost - a very low SWAG) would mean giving our (and every?) two person household more than $50K/year of "free" entitlement benefits. Why would anyone elect to work (on the books)?

Last edited:
Quote shortened due to 5k character limit.

These are the biggest changes I see:

As far as unions go..making them stronger in Mexico will be a good thing. Part of the reason that the US has safety standards at work places, and good wages is because of unions. In the long run if unions are made stronger in Mexico their quality of life will rise. Which also means that fewer illegal immigrants will be bypassing Mexico and coming to the US. Which will also force Mexico to start enforcing their borders more effectively instead of letting illegal immigrants in to go to the US. So this is a net benefit for both the US and Mexico in more ways than one. This is a good thing.

Don't really have a comment on the rest of what you stated was in the agreement.

All that said....

Every trade agreement ever done by any and all Presidents, was done by teams of lawyers and professionals. You think Obama had a personal hand in crafting the Iran Deal? Or Reagan with NAFTA? Pfft. In the end the President gets the credit because the President is the one that made it happen and has the final say. I get why you do not want to give Trump the credit though.....

New NAFTA is basically editting typos and rebranding... another Trump con job.

Sendt fra min SM-N9005 med Tapatalk

$16/hour is not a MW - it is to be the amount paid to a minority (up to 45%?) of auto parts makers. Its intent is to force Mexico to pay at least a few of their workers more.

What it is as a hysterically laughable add to the a three country trade agreement. It does not belong in a trade agreement just as 302 restrictions as much as I don't like the way Trump uses them do not belong in a trade agreement. So I guess I would say they are 1 for 2 on that score. There are no 302 restrictions in the agreement but there is this laughable add regarding some percentage of auto workers getting some sort of base pay. Thing is a joke.

Okay just came across this video and had to share. :2razz:

:lol:

Such....

An....

Embarrassment!

I mean, sure, it's one little mistake. But goddamn is it emblematic or what?

Back
Top Bottom