• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The military seized power in Myanmar again

joluoto

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Officially that is. They really never stopped being a military dictatorship in reality.

Myanmar coup: Aung San Suu Kyi detained as military seizes power

When pro- democracy parties won 83% of the vote in the November election, the military backed parties Trumped it up and decried fraud. The military apparently now decided that this pretense of democracy wasn't working out very well because the people votes wrong and ended the charade. So now Myanmar is officially a dictatorship again.

Myanmar's ousted leader Aung San Suu Kyi has called on the people to oppose the coup

EtHzyqnXMAEiXyA

It seems that the Democrats are ready with a pretext for new intervention and war. So fast....

Officially that is. They really never stopped being a military dictatorship in reality.

When pro- democracy parties won 83% of the vote in the November election, the military backed parties Trumped it up and decried fraud. The military apparently now decided that this pretense of democracy wasn't working out very well because the people votes wrong and ended the charade. So now Myanmar is officially a dictatorship again.
That's a shame. I was in Myanmar for a few weeks about 15 years ago and it's an amazing country, almost mystical in its beauty and culture. And you're right - it never really stopped being a dictatorship. It shares the same faux democracy traits as Thailand and to some degree Cambodia.

Many Burmese no doubt wish that Britain were still ruling them.

In fact, many thoughtful people in Africa probably wish the same thing.

While we're worried about wearing a mask

Many Burmese no doubt wish that Britain were still ruling them.

In fact, many thoughtful people in Africa probably wish the same thing.
I don't think anyone who broke free from the British Empire wish they were still ruled by the British Empire. People don't tend to like being ruled by foreigners on the other side of the world.

I don't think anyone who broke free from the British Empire wish they were still ruled by the British Empire. People don't tend to like being ruled by foreigners on the other side of the world.
Right you are. People in SEA don't miss their French and British rulers any more than Americans miss King George.

IPeople don't tend to like being ruled by foreigners on the other side of the world.

Yes, you are right -- sadly.

Human beings do not necessarily know what is in their best interest.

Yes, you are right -- sadly.

Human beings do not necessarily know what is in their best interest.
I think choosing your own leaders always in your bes interest. Being ruled by some foreigner is as bad as being ruled by a dictator. The European Empires certainly did not care about the people of Asia when they established their Imperialist protectorates, colonies and dominions, but rather about all the resources they were going to plunder.

I think choosing your own leaders always in your bes interest.

Okey dokey!

And I think that a lot of people wish they were being governed by the United States or certain European nations instead of by their own brutal and corrupt
"leaders."

Okey dokey!

And I think that a lot of people wish they were being governed by the United States or certain European nations instead of by their own brutal and corrupt
"leaders."
You are acting like the colonial regimes weren't brutal and corrupt. Which means you don't know anything about how the European empires worked.

Good. Democracy is bad for society. It’s bad because this is a dictatorship supported by China, but China is the big fish in that pond.

Okey dokey!

"leaders."

It was the incompetence and brutality of “certain European nations” which created the messes in many of these countries in the first place

Myanmar's army is a state within the state controlling every soldier and their families as if they were slaves.

In Myanmar, the army controls its soldiers' lives, minds and finances

This is how the army keep control over their soldiers and get them to attack and kill civilians, by turning them into robots that has no choice but to follow orders, because they have no life outside the military.

Back
Top Bottom