• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Last Time CO2 Was This High, Humans Didn’t Exist

watsup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I wonder what the deniers have to say about this. I suppose we'll now find out:

"The last time there was this much carbon dioxide (CO2) in the Earth's atmosphere, modern humans didn't exist. Megatoothed sharks prowled the oceans, the world's seas were up to 100 feet higher than they are today, and the global average surface temperature was up to 11°F warmer than it is now.
As we near the record for the highest CO2 concentration in human history — 400 parts per million — climate scientists worry about where we were then, and where we're rapidly headed now.

According to data gathered at the Mauna Loa Observatory in Hawaii, the 400 ppm mark may briefly be exceeded this month, when CO2 typically hits a seasonal peak in the Northern Hemisphere, although it is more likely to take a couple more years until it stays above that threshold, according to Ralph Keeling, a researcher at the Scripps Institute of Oceanography.

CO2 levels are far higher now than they have been for anytime during the past 800,000 years.

Keeling is the son of Charles David Keeling, who began the CO2 observations at Mauna Loa in 1958 and for whom the iconic “Keeling Curve” is named.

Carbon dioxide is the most important long-lived global warming gas, and once it is emitted by burning fossil fuels such as coal and oil, a single CO2 molecule can remain in the atmosphere for hundreds of years. Global CO2 emissions reached a record high of 35.6 billion tonnes in 2012, up 2.6 percent from 2011. Carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases warm the planet by absorbing the sun’s energy and preventing heat from escaping back into space."

"The last time there was this much carbon dioxide (CO2) in the Earth's atmosphere, modern humans didn't exist.

solving global warming may require government so large that it would basically be facism

a huge oppressive one world government

in order to force some kind of solution on everyone

given the human need for freedom people might rather die then live like that

and given the popularity of dystopian movies even the future might rather have a free dystopia caused by global warming then a facist utopia caused by its solution

solving global warming may require government so large that it would basically be facism

in order to force some kind of solution on everyone

given the human need for freedom people might rather die then live like that

and given the popularity of dystopian movies even the future might rather have a free dystopia caused by global warming then a facist utopia caused by its solution

Conspiracy theory.

Conspiracy theory.

so can be solve global warning within the nationalism we currently have?

when many nations wont bother. will put their own short term profit ahead of the long term solution

so can be solve global warning within the nationalism we currently have?

when many nations wont bother. will put their own short term profit ahead of the long term solution
Nations including China are already racing to be first in alternate energy tech. You fail to see the huge wealth that can provide for the winners. Perhaps that is because you see Canada as an also ran?

Nations including China are already racing to be first in alternate energy tech. You fail to see the huge wealth that can provide for the winners. Perhaps that is because you see Canada as an also ran?
China is the largest producer and consumer of coal in the world and is the largest user of coal-derived electricity. Coal fired generators still produce 60% of China's power

So: The last time there was this much CO2 atmosphere, modern humans didn't exist, seas were 100 feet higher and the global average surface temperature 11°F warmer than it is now.

Yet the global crisis is because of modern man? Seems to me things were a lot worse off without modern man than with.

alt energy wont stop current energy, it will just be added ontop, in order to create even more wealth and greed for everyone lol

"The last time there was this much carbon dioxide (CO2) in the Earth's atmosphere, modern humans didn't exist. Megatoothed sharks prowled the oceans, the world's seas were up to 100 feet higher than they are today, and the global average surface temperature was up to 11°F warmer than it is now.
As we near the record for the highest CO2 concentration in human history — 400 parts per million — climate scientists worry about where we were then, and where we're rapidly headed now.

According to data gathered at the Mauna Loa Observatory in Hawaii, the 400 ppm mark may briefly be exceeded this month, when CO2 typically hits a seasonal peak in the Northern Hemisphere, although it is more likely to take a couple more years until it stays above that threshold, according to Ralph Keeling, a researcher at the Scripps Institute of Oceanography.

CO2 levels are far higher now than they have been for anytime during the past 800,000 years.

Keeling is the son of Charles David Keeling, who began the CO2 observations at Mauna Loa in 1958 and for whom the iconic “Keeling Curve” is named.

Carbon dioxide is the most important long-lived global warming gas, and once it is emitted by burning fossil fuels such as coal and oil, a single CO2 molecule can remain in the atmosphere for hundreds of years. Global CO2 emissions reached a record high of 35.6 billion tonnes in 2012, up 2.6 percent from 2011. Carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases warm the planet by absorbing the sun’s energy and preventing heat from escaping back into space."

They likely will not exist for much longer this time around either. I suspect most people have no idea how perilous this situation is.

"The last time there was this much carbon dioxide (CO2) in the Earth's atmosphere, modern humans didn't exist.

Assuming that is correct then what caused such high CO2 levels? Because obviously it was not through human activity.

They likely will not exist for much longer this time around either. I suspect most people have no idea how perilous this situation is.
There was no "modern" man then to cease existence, but out ancestors seemed to have made it OK. They did not cease to exist then or we would not now exist.

Am I the only one to notice that the quotes have to be at least 5 years old! 400 ppm was in about 2016,
Are we running out of alarmist articles, or is this about recycling?

alt energy wont stop current energy, it will just be added ontop, in order to create even more wealth and greed for everyone lol
As new energy sources come on line there will be less and less fossil fuel used. Electric cars do not need gasoline so gas stations will be few and far between by 2035 for example.

I don't think that's a legitimate definition of facism.

Well, it's going to be difficult but not necessarily that bizarre. Remember we dealt with CFC's using global agreements. The key here is international cooperation. I know that word "cooperation" terrifies a lot of Americans, so we need to be mindful of triggers.

Wow, you went from 0 to Crazed Conspiracy Theory in 5 lines.

Am I the only one to notice that the quotes have to be at least 5 years old! 400 ppm was in about 2016,
Are we running out of alarmist articles, or is this about recycling?

Considering we are now ABOVE 400ppm with no signs of stopping I'd say it makes it MORE concerning.

Considering we are now ABOVE 400ppm with no signs of stopping I'd say it makes it MORE concerning.
My comment was related to old news, I am thinking 5 years old.
As far as concern, The observed data still shows that CO2 have very limited positive feedback.

My comment was related to old news, I am thinking 5 years old.
As far as concern, The observed data still shows that CO2 have very limited positive feedback.

No, no it doesn't.

So your are rightly telling us man has almost nothing to do with the earths CO2. Good call.

So: The last time there was this much CO2 atmosphere, modern humans didn't exist, seas were 100 feet higher and the global average surface temperature 11°F warmer than it is now.

Yet the global crisis is because of modern man? Seems to me things were a lot worse off without modern man than with.

...what?

Back
Top Bottom