• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Hobbit

I read the LotR Trilogy before The Hobbit...both were enthralling. the I started to read the Simarillion...and it put me off reading for a while!

You know, I've tried to listen to LOTR on audiobook and I have a tough time doing so.

But I think the reason why is because I know so many fantasy tropes that it all seems old to me.

Which isn't giving enough credit to JRR since he essentially invented high fantasy as a modern genre from which all other such authors inspired.

One more thing to blame D&D for, I suppose.

I watched the movie online and that induced me to read The Hunger Games trilogy. Then I went back and watched the movie again. The books did so much better at telling the story...especially in explaining the living conditions in Sector 12. I really wish I'd read the books first.

It's an amazing book. I so rarely discover a best-seller that I like. I read a lot of obscure authors. But this book (and the 2 others) really involved me emotionally. The movie - meh.

I dont think the audio book format would work for me. Reading it alows my own mind to paint the picture. I think having it read to me would put me to sleep. Tolkiens story craft caused most people I suspect to paint the picture in a very similar way.

No movie's ever gonna catch the epic scope of an epic novel.

Like you, I just hope they can keep the butchery to an absolute minimum.

It did the same to me. I was a total LOTR nerd for quite a bit... I'm unsure how I feel about the movie. I think it'll be good, but not as good as the book. Needless to say I'll be seeing it as soon as it comes out!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…