• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Great Majority Opposes The Word "Marriage" for SS-Couples[W:214]

Re: The Great Majority Opposes The Word "Marriage" for SS-Couples

under my suggestion only civil unions we be recognized by the law and government for the granting of rights. marriage means nothing in legal standings it is nothing but a title given by religious institutions

Im giving all the rights under the title civil union and taking the rights away from the title of marriage

There are major churches which recognize same sex marriages.

so then if the terms means nothing if civil union and marriage are the same in your philosophy then you shouldn't have a problem with terminology unless a title is more important then the rights given under that title if marriage and civil unions gain the same rights

under my suggestion you gain no rights under the law or government for being married only under a civil union do you gain those rights

I'm perfectly okay with calling marriages civil unions that's what they are. It doesn't matter what you call it. that was my point to begin with. you just want to call marriage something else, your point doesn't really interfere with mine. personal union is exactly like marriage what's the difference?

what do you suggest then nothing would change, just pretend that the word means something different, it'll mean exactly the same thing. I don't see a point.

under my suggestion only civil unions we be recognized by the law and government for the granting of rights. marriage means nothing in legal standings it is nothing but a title given by religious institutions

Im giving all the rights under the title civil union and taking the rights away from the title of marriage

again you're just changing the word. its pointless because everyone still going to call a marriage a marriage.

Per the link and reference here:http://www.debatepolitics.com/general-political-discussion/164824-naming-inevitability-same-sex-cudps-3.html#post1061986183

Clearly the great majority of society opposes same-sex "marriage", preferring a different name than "marriage" for those same-sex committed romantic domestic partnership civil unions.

This is understandable for a number of good reasons.

These links exhibit those good reasons:

Definitive propriety, respect for the time-honored true meaning of a word, clearly indicates that marriage is between a man and a woman as husband and wife, that heterosexuals really do "own" the word, so to speak: Gay marriage: Give it another name, it will pass

Even President Obama prefers a different name than "marriage" (though he more recently was pressured into denying that reality): Gay 'Marriage' vs. 'Civil Unions': What's in a Name? - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Religious heterosexuals will simply not give up the fight to keep the word "marriage" from being erroneously corrupted, and they have the power: Substitute another word for same-sex 'marriage' | PennLive.com

Recent errors by a small minority of states allowing the oxymoronic "gay marriage" "same-sex marriage" is a temporary aberration, all things considered.

LGBT activists would do well to reconsider their brainwashing media tactic, as such is really futile, and instead take advantage of the current public's support for government and private enterprise recognition under an appropriately different term than "marriage", such as "homosexual marriage" or "homarriage" or the like.

ROFL! Civil unions were never constitutionally banned in states by gay rights supporters. Your animosity towards the LGBT community is very evident when you blame them for states denying any alternative to marriage.

100% right

legal marriage has nothing to do with religious marriage so any discussions of religion is pointless and meaningless when discussing legal marriage

religion has nothing to do with marriage, either way you slice it. marriage simply means combining. nothing about man n woman nothing about one of the same one of those.

the definition is to merge two or more things. people really need to look at it idiomology

I think it ought to be left up to individual churches. I know that the United Church of Christ recognizes it

I think in civil ceremonies, such as going before a JP, that rule of law should prevail.

It is, quite frankly, a States rights issue as far as the verbiage. But at the Federal level, there needs to be provisions to allow SS couples to share benefits. They are no different than any other taxpaying citizen and should be afforded the same rights under the law.

religion has nothing to do with marriage, either way you slice it. marriage simply means combining. nothing about man n woman nothing about one of the same one of those.

the definition is to merge two or more things. people really need to look at it idiomology

i said religious marriage

1.)I think it ought to be left up to individual churches. I know that the United Church of Christ recognizes it

2.) I think in civil ceremonies, such as going before a JP, that rule of law should prevail.

3.) It is, quite frankly, a States rights issue as far as the verbiage. But at the Federal level, there needs to be provisions to allow SS couples to share benefits. They are no different than any other taxpaying citizen and should be afforded the same rights under the law.

1.) this is already true
2.) yes i agree, legal marriage will soon be the law everywhere, 5 years max
3.) since marriage is a right its never a states rights issue or at least is SHOULD never be. they can tweek it but eventually it will be pushed and it will be legal every where just like interracial marriage
4.) i agree and this is in the works. the IRS just recently did this and its AWESOME that equality is winning over bigotry and discrimination

That is kind of like religious car buying.

if a religion decided that was a religious ceremony or act etc for their religion that would be true and factual.
in many religions theres a religious ceremony called marriage. its a religious marriage.

Why not just be happy with the term civil union, then everyone's happy.

why not just be happy allowing everyone to us the term married, then everyone's happy.

if a religion decided that was a religious ceremony or act etc for their religion that would be true and factual.
in many religions theres a religious ceremony called marriage. its a religious marriage.

Yeah but that isn't really marriage.

Yeah but that isn't really marriage.

yes it is, its religious marriage :shrug:

If the point of the OP is that majority rule should somehow always be the deciderer I think the premise of this whole thread is mistaken. Somebody help me here but wasn't it established already ( Bill of Rights ) that in a democracy we must protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority?

Last edited:

It doesn't matter,
It does to 63% of the population -- they oppose "marriage" being applied to SS-couples, and rightly so.

marriage is civil union, same thing.
Marriage is considered to be a civil union domestic partnership.

Homarriage would also be a civil union domestic partnership.

There are a number of types of civil union domestic partnerships, each with its own specifically descriptive name.

I Don't think the population of the USA in any numbers believe in magic words.
Meaningless.

What's meaningful is that 63% of the population opposes the word "marriage" for SS-couples ..

.. And 70% support government and private enterprise recognition of SS-couples' relevant relationships.

Clearly, what this means, is that if gay activists simply stop trying to ram the oxymoronic "gay marriage" down society's throat, they might long ago have succeeded in getting what they really want: recognition by government and private enterprise.

There's a lesson to be learned here.

It does to 63% of the population -- they oppose "marriage" being applied to SS-couples, and rightly so.
Meaningless, the poll I posted suggests otherwise.

Marriage is considered to be a civil union domestic partnership.
yeah I know that is why i said the same thing.
Homarriage would also be a civil union domestic partnership.
made up nonsensical clap trap is meaningless sorry.
There are a number of types of civil union domestic partnerships, each with its own specifically descriptive name.
each one fundamentally different and separate from marriage. Separate but equal us a farce that is why it's unacceptable.

Meaningless.

What's meaningful is that 63% of the population opposes the word "marriage" for SS-couples ..

.. And 70% support government and private enterprise recognition of SS-couples' relevant relationships.
no, what really maters is not this nonsense about magic words and that an increased number of people are accepting same sex MARRIAGE.
Clearly, what this means, is that if gay activists simply stop trying to ram the oxymoronic "gay marriage" down society's throat, they might long ago have succeeded in getting what they really want: recognition by government and private enterprise.

There's a lesson to be learned here.
No what this means is that you still insist on this separate but equal crap.

It is unacceptable. marriage must include same sex couples, period. I will not settle for second best. I think that is the reason why it must be marriage.

Well religious marriage is rather meaningless because it doesn't afford you any legal status.

thats an individual thing just like all marriage.

in the discussion of legal marriage yes its absolutely meaningless but many people find deep meaning in the religious marriage

thats an individual thing just like all marriage.

in the discussion of legal marriage yes its absolutely meaningless but many people find deep meaning in the religious marriage

Don't need a religion to feel that. I am religiously married to my husband, that didn't change anything about how I felt about him. It was meaningless. Any meaning applied to it on a personal level isn't really there for anybody but the participant.

Meaningless, the poll I posted suggests otherwise. yeah I know that is why i said the same thing.
made up nonsensical clap trap is meaningless sorry. each one fundamentally different and separate from marriage. Separate but equal us a farce that is why it's unacceptable. no, what really maters is not this nonsense about magic words and that an increased number of people are accepting same sex MARRIAGE. No what this means is that you still insist on this separate but equal crap. It is unacceptable. marriage must include same sex couples, period. I will not settle for second best. I think that is the reason why it must be marriage.
Simply repeating all your false statements does not make them true.

You'll need better argument technique to win this one, as the OP presented facts speak for themselves.

A majority use to oppose gay marriage
wtweozbbwe6-gtvk3vb_uw.jpg

I guess splitting hairs is about all the antis have left in them

If the point of the OP is that majority rule should somehow always be the deciderer I think the premise of this whole thread is mistaken. Somebody help me here but wasn't it established already ( Bill of Rights ) that in a democracy we must protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority?
There is no "tyranny of the majority" here. :roll:

"Marriage" is and always has been "between a man and a woman as husband and wife", and the smart 63% of the population still recognizes that fact.

The minority is simply in definitive propriety, respect for words and their true meaning, error.

Simply repeating all your false statements does not make them true.

You'll need better argument technique to win this one, as the OP presented facts speak for themselves.

This fact proves your fact wrong
http://sas-origin.OnstreamMedia.com...roduction/Cms/POLL/jwowsa1ks020ehlt19i1la.png

I don't need an argument. You are mistaken

If you look at three link than you would see 54% of the United states supports same sex MARRIAGE

your nonsense about magic words and your invention of words is just clap trap. I don't need to argue against clap trap. It simply isn't true.

Your attempt to singularly associate religion with marriage is obviously erroneous.

Marriage has existed since the onset of the agricultural revolution 12,000 years ago, long before religion known today ever existed, as being "between a man and a woman as husband and wife", remaining so to this day.

People get married via religious ceremony.

People get married outside of religious ceremony.

Neither ceremony changes the reality that marriage is "between a man and a woman as husband and wife".

A majority use to oppose gay marriage
View attachment 67153459

I guess splitting hairs is about all the antis have left in them

Yeah that is pretty clear, the first line on that image reads, "do you think marriages between same sex couples should our should not be recognized..."

Yep the dark green line represents people that say yes and that number at the end representing yes is the majority. Like i said this thread is meaningless, at least the OP is.

Back
Top Bottom