• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Grading Scale

A Sophist said:
Mmmmm did you even read my post? And why do you think that I am undeserving? Do you think I dont study? And Im not saying that everyone that has a 4.0 is undeserving, only most people. I dont care if you work hard to know the information for the test. I care if you learn the information and use it in life. Listen here, the kids in my school with 4.0s learn the information soley for the test (the two that dont cheat anyways). Then the rest of the 18 people cheat on every single thing. Are they more deserving than me, an honest person who knows everything he is required to know and then some? Honestly, if Im the only person that remembers the events of the French/American Revolution (or anything else for that matter), after going over it multitudes of times throughout schooling, something is wrong. Please elaborate on why you think you are deserving. I cant tell you that you arent deserving as I dont know anything about you. I am simply stating from my experiences.

You said that all the people in your school who have 4.0s are morons. How was I supposed to draw the conclusions that some people aren't?

BodiSatva said:
Gonna stick with that tactic? That is very odd...for a logical debator and all...and there you go again being disrespectfull...I changed the size to reduce length because I was thnking it was a long post...(I actually thought about how long it was and how others would have to scroll, etc)...look at that, I displayed manners...I thought about what I said and made it relevant too...but that is what we can expect from you...elitism...disdain...disrespect...GOOD JOB KELZIE! You win the award!! Big winner Kelzie....HAhaa:lol:

And so to cut down on length you make the letters bigger? I'm not actually following your logic.

No point? Can't grasp it? Have to be right? Insult! My name is Kelzie and I like to "debate"! ;) You still couldn't even show the Socialization Standard...the one that makes it the teachers JOB to Socialize! Haha All you showed was something along the lines of a Mission Statement that reflected noticeable trends… Here is an example for you..
Grade Five
History-Social Science Content Standards.

That's wonderful. We were talking about high school. Try to stay on track. You know, post something like I did, that applied to high school. And yes, the mission statement perfectly showed that it is indeed school's goal to socialize.

Teachers teach this standard and socialization process is a by-product...what I already outlined that I said from the beginning...

yep...like I said...what you had to say was Irrelevant.

Any second grader could follow what I said...and I know that you did too...Even if you don't admit it, you know and I know that you proved nothing and therefore you lost. What sucks, is that you can't admit it...haha

Bye Bye. You lost ...see ya!

I've always followed a funny rule. The first person to claim victory is the actual loser.

Let's review shall we?

Kelzie: says that one of high school's jobs is to socialize students and prepare them for a real world....provided a declaration from an entire school district saying exactly that

Bodi: says that it is not schools job to socialize students...wait that it is...no that it's not...anybody else keeping track? Then posts in irrelevant 5th grade history lesson plan.

I'd be claiming victory if I were you too. It's about all you have left.

A funny AND Irrellevant rule...the winner is the winner for the simple reaason that the winner won. The Loser makes up funny rules to compensate for the fact that they lost...

The point was Content Standard...not high school Content Standard...You actually think that you get to control what points are relevant as well as all the other things that you feel the need to control? That is funny too. I laugh at just about every post you make lately...for some reason, your desperation to be right is funny...

Are you purposely trying to misrepresent what I said in this thread Kelzie? What do they call that again? :3oops: Intentionally misrepresenting facts…hmmm? It is either…

Fraudulent misrepresentation where the representation is made with intent to deceive and with the knowledge that it is false
fraud•u•lent (frô j -l nt) adj.
1. Engaging in fraud; deceitful.
2. Characterized by, constituting, or gained by fraud

OR

Negligent misrepresentation where the representation is made carelessly
neg•li•gent (n g l -j nt) adj.
1. Characterized by or inclined to neglect, especially habitually.
2. Characterized by careless ease or informality; casual.
3. Law. Guilty of negligence.

It seems clear that the intent is to deceive…to state that which is not true in order to mislead...is that grounds for being banned? Since you are a mod, I doubt it...you know what they say about Power...

Bodi -
No point? Can't grasp it? Still couldn't even show the Socialization Standard...the one that makes it the teachers JOB to Socialize! Haha All you showed was something along the lines of a Mission Statement that reflected noticeable trends… Here is an example for you..

Kelzie -
That's wonderful.

Glad to see that you concede. Do you want to hear something funny...I am winning by a larger margin now that before...this is getting out of hand...:shock:

Haha...:2wave:

BodiSatva said:
A funny AND Irrellevant rule...the winner is the winner for the simple reaason that the winner won. The Loser makes up funny rules to compensate for the fact that they lost...

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it any less true.

The point was Content Standard...not high school Content Standard...You actually think that you get to control what points are relevant as well as all the other things that you feel the need to control? That is funny too. I laugh at just about every post you make lately...for some reason, your desperation to be right is funny...

Oh really? Here's where it all started.

Kelzie said:
High school is "preparing for the real world 101".

See where it says "high school"? That would mean we are talking about HIGH SCHOOL. For the record I don't think socialization and real world experience is anywhere near as important in elementary school. Regardless of which grade we're talking about, the lesson plan doesn't cut it. You'll need to find some sort of mission statement from the school or state on the goals of their education.

Are you purposely trying to misrepresent what I said in this thread Kelzie? What do they call that again? :3oops: Intentionally misrepresenting facts…hmmm? It is either…

Fraudulent misrepresentation where the representation is made with intent to deceive and with the knowledge that it is false
fraud•u•lent (frô j -l nt) adj.
1. Engaging in fraud; deceitful.
2. Characterized by, constituting, or gained by fraud

OR

Negligent misrepresentation where the representation is made carelessly
neg•li•gent (n g l -j nt) adj.
1. Characterized by or inclined to neglect, especially habitually.
2. Characterized by careless ease or informality; casual.
3. Law. Guilty of negligence.

It seems clear that the intent is to deceive…to state that which is not true in order to mislead...is that grounds for being banned? Since you are a mod, I doubt it...you know what they say about Power...

Not quite sure what your little tangent was for. Hope looking up all those definitions made you feel better.

Glad to see that you concede. Do you want to hear something funny...I am winning by a larger margin now that before...this is getting out of hand...:shock:

Haha...:2wave:

Listen. It's been quite a while since you posted any relevant facts or arguments. I'm going to take that to mean you can't.

"Just because you don't like it doesn't make it any less true."

Just because you have a funny rule doesn't make it true in the first place.
This is a great game kelzie.
Also, your "rule" is logical flawed...of course, you don't see the fact that it is absolutely irrelevant.
You are KELZIE THE GREAT! Haha, yeah...Right!

Your arguements are plagued with degrading comments that you think are enshrouded with your ability to be clever... But you are actually so obvious that it makes what you say and offer irrelevant...

"For the record I don't think socialization and real world experience is anywhere near as important in elementary school. Regardless of which grade we're talking about, the lesson plan doesn't cut it. You'll need to find some sort of mission statement from the school or state on the goals of their education."

The first years are the most important in socializing...haha OMG! Good one Kelzie......Your comment is so ludicrous that I have already wasted too much time in answering.

"Not quite sure what your little tangent was for. "

LISTEN! (so dramatic)

Again, it is something obvious that you are choosing to not address...something that you think you can blow off and people will move on... you called me on my comments regarding how your comments do not follow what I am saying...you use a silly threat like banning me for doing nothing more than commenting on your comments, nowhere did I make any comment about you... but steen and others insult and degrade and call people names and that is ok?

You just misrepresented what I said in an effort to deceive...of course it was meant to belittle me as a person and not misrepresent the facts in order to deceive, huh? Haha...and now you aren't sure? Either way, your actions are not befitting a person who is a mod. Rules that are blatantly broken are not rules at all. If you choose to enforce rules when and where you like, when they work for you, you are ot a person worthy of any power whatsoever. What is it when a person can dish it out but can't take it? hmmmm....what do we call those people? Hypocrites? Possibly...

Why enter in facts when you can't even follow the origins of this debate in the first place? Speaking of facts, you have entered essentially NO Relevant facts, just "facts" that support YOUR view of what this is about...that is another example of a control issue.

Have I warranted banning procedures here? Steen and alphamale and talloulou and others repeatedly cussing and demeaning and insulting people...yet they are here.

I have wasted enough time on you as it is. You are intelligent enough to get it, just not nice enough to be respected. You most definitely are not deserving of any authority on this forum.

Last edited:
So nothing new to add then? Thanks for proving my point.

There was new stuff there. You are again acting disrespectfully and playing it off. What is this need of yours to be disrespectful kelzie?

Last edited:
BodiSatva said:
You have no point kelzie...you are pointless...

I've actually had several that you have failed to rebut. Do you know what that means in a debate? And I'm not going to ask you nicely again. Stop insulting me.

Do I not know? What a joke. I tried to communicate with you repeatedly so that there would be less confusion and we could understand one another. YOU chose the route of degrading and belittling.

I did not insult you...I was nicely warning you that you were an the verge of getting warned for insulting me...

But, You get carte blanche to insult? That is funny... :lol:

Just because you do not recognize an insult as one does not mean that it is not, you can try to hide your intent...it is too bad that you did not do it very well.

Oh yeah, you say you did not so you did not. :roll:

BodiSatva said:
Do I not know? What a joke. I tried to communicate with you repeatedly so that there would be less confusion and we could understand one another. YOU chose the route of degrading and belittling.

I did not insult you...I was nicely warning you that you were an the verge of getting warned for insulting me...

But, You get carte blanche to insult? That is funny... :lol:

Just because you do not recognize an insult as one does not mean that it is not, you can try to hide your intent...it is too bad that you did not do it very well.

Oh yeah, you say you did not so you did not. :roll:

Well then why don't you find the post where I insulted you.

I did...you just chose to ignore them. Why bother doing it again? I am fine with the communication, you are the one that is bothered and crying foul. Yet, it is you who is being disrespectful, that is the irony...

BodiSatva said:
I did...you just chose to ignore them. Why bother doing it again? I am fine with the communication, you are the one that is bothered and crying foul. Yet, it is you who is being disrespectful, that is the irony...

You did? Where?

galenrox...who are you? Haha...c'mon now, get real bud. Do you think that you understand the context of anything being said here?

One thing at least is certainly obvious.

Go away until you can come in and conduct yourself appropriately please...thanks....bye.

Kelzie...I tire of this...seriously. Let's just move on together. Hand in hand and happy... I like your style and generally how you debate, we just differed on this one and we don’t agree. I feel that I communicated effectively and that this whole thing was a waste and you tried to get me on a certain point and that you proved your point. Both are fine. Either way, we are both winners, it is all good. C’mon…High Five!

BodiSatva said:
galenrox...who are you? Haha...c'mon now, get real bud. Do you think that you understand the context of anything being said here?

One thing at least is certainly obvious.

Go away until you can come in and conduct yourself appropriately please...thanks....bye.

Are you all right?:screwy .....I mean you can't be serious...you didn't defend yourself from anything he said.....you mearly reinforced his points by these comments....:lol:

My intention was not to defend anything, for there is nothing to defend.

Reinforce his points? You are as big as a joke as he then, just another pathetic one jumping on the bandwagon. His "points" are out of context, for it is evident that he did not follow the conversation...therefore, his "points" are irrelevant. He is just trying to incite a baseless argument.

Bandwagon jumpers who miss the bandwagon altogether don’t warrant further attention. Run along now…go play with galenrox on the swings…

ANSWER MY QUESTION.

1. ARE THOSE REALLY YOUR GRADES?

2. WHAT GRADE ARE YOU IN?

Grades are a judge of your effort and intelligence in school, yes there are cheating, but grades combine both genetics and effort. Not everyone can jump so high or run so fast, some will not have proficient memory in terms of academia to achieve desired results.

BodiSatva said:
My intention was not to defend anything, for there is nothing to defend.

Reinforce his points? You are as big as a joke as he then, just another pathetic one jumping on the bandwagon. His "points" are out of context, for it is evident that he did not follow the conversation...therefore, his "points" are irrelevant. He is just trying to incite a baseless argument.

he attacked everything you've said, therefore there is something to defend....
and statements like:

Bandwagon jumpers who miss the bandwagon altogether don’t warrant further attention. Run along now…go play with galenrox on the swings…

and

Haha...c'mon now, get real bud. Do you think that you understand the context of anything being said here?

can be useful when talking to an fourth grade kid but really don't accomplish anything when talking to those who would debate you....rather than try to convince yourself that your opposition has absolutly no idea what they are talking about try to figure out what your ideas are first.....or represent them better....please

Apparently you do not understand how context fits into this equation.

Don't your teachers teach you to understand the totality of context...to critically think about comments both opinion/fact etc before charging into a discussion with rash opinions of your own that are irrelevant?

Explain this concept and how it might relate to a long discussion and then maybe we can discuss thet matter further...

Synch said:
ANSWER MY QUESTION.

Grades are a judge of your effort and intelligence in school, yes there are cheating, but grades combine both genetics and effort. Not everyone can jump so high or run so fast, some will not have proficient memory in terms of academia to achieve desired results.

You don't take into account favoritism either. I am hated by my teachers (I don't have a clue why). Therefore, its near impossible for me to get good grades. I don't have terrible grades per se, but I SHOULD be a 4.0 student. I do put in the effort, I do know the material, I DO NOT CHEAT, but yet, I am not a 4.0 student like the people (in my school, as I can only judge by them) who ARE liked by the teacher and who DO cheat. It is not a fair way of grading intellect as it is based upon what a teacher wants to see and how much that teacher likes you. If I give a presentation, and my entire class votes it as the best presentation and I follow all of the guidelines, why did my grade end up to be the worst? (Hint, this is a teacher that does not like me) Outside of that, I genuinely want to learn. I can safely say I am one of the few people like that at my school. Most people just learn the items for the test, because that is all that is required. How does this help anyone? What is the point in going to school?

A Sophist said:
You don't take into account favoritism either. I am hated by my teachers (I don't have a clue why). Therefore, its near impossible for me to get good grades. I don't have terrible grades per se, but I SHOULD be a 4.0 student. I do put in the effort, I do know the material, I DO NOT CHEAT, but yet, I am not a 4.0 student like the people (in my school, as I can only judge by them) who ARE liked by the teacher and who DO cheat. It is not a fair way of grading intellect as it is based upon what a teacher wants to see and how much that teacher likes you. If I give a presentation, and my entire class votes it as the best presentation and I follow all of the guidelines, why did my grade end up to be the worst? (Hint, this is a teacher that does not like me) Outside of that, I genuinely want to learn. I can safely say I am one of the few people like that at my school. Most people just learn the items for the test, because that is all that is required. How does this help anyone? What is the point in going to school?

Favorism works in one area and only one, in writing pieces, in science, math, P.E, etc it's objective, not subjective, the grades you've listed were terrible.

And it tests your EQ skills, you are failing to please your superiors(in terms of power at the current time), which means you have poor people skills.

Synch said:
Favorism works in one area and only one, in writing pieces, in science, math, P.E, etc it's objective, not subjective, the grades you've listed were terrible.

And it tests your EQ skills, you are failing to please your superiors(in terms of power at the current time), which means you have poor people skills.

Favoritism has a large effect on your grade when the only things you have for grades are essays and whatnot. Also, they can be harsher on you on stuff like fill in the blank questions. Then again, you are right it is my fault that my teacherd dont like me. But then again, I most definately do not have poor people skills, as its only teachers that dont like me. And they have absolutely no reason to (as far as I can tell). I would think theyd like the person that answers their questions more than little timmy in the back that cant spell his name. But hell, I guess I dont know anything. (Except that I dont have poor people skills, as I am very well liked by my peers and adults.)

A Sophist said:
Favoritism has a large effect on your grade when the only things you have for grades are essays and whatnot. Also, they can be harsher on you on stuff like fill in the blank questions. Then again, you are right it is my fault that my teacherd dont like me. But then again, I most definately do not have poor people skills, as its only teachers that dont like me. And they have absolutely no reason to (as far as I can tell). I would think theyd like the person that answers their questions more than little timmy in the back that cant spell his name. But hell, I guess I dont know anything. (Except that I dont have poor people skills, as I am very well liked by my peers and adults.)

Respect for authority is something that everyone learns at some point.

A Sophist said:

Unless you're teacher is obviously racist against you and is of different ethnicity, then if your teacher doesn't like you, it's your fault.

If you think the teacher is not doing his job correctly, you can file a formal complaint to the superintendent.

If you're liked well by your peers and adults, then why does those in power of you just the opposite?

I have poor peer skills but I am great with adults because I am more on their maturity level.

Kelzie am I losing my eyesite or did your avatar get bigger?

Synch said:
ANSWER MY QUESTION.

Oh, my apologies! I didn't mean to wait for so long. How quickly things happen. Anyway, yes, those were my grades at the time, and I am in tenth (sophomore) grade. Truth be told, it wasn't the end of the world and I evened it out eventually. But I was still angry at the fact that I was failing for over four weeks, and the end of the semester was near. Fortunately, there were a bunch of others who were failing (due to low test grades), so the teacher had no choice but to give a "redemption test." Of course, this wasn't until ONE WEEK before semester grades. I can understand Kelzie's point (responsibility is a virtue in school), but I found it amusing that one tiny slip-up could land me an F and almost destroy my good report card.

Of course, people learn from their mistakes. From that whole experience, I realized how inaccurate grades really are. In time, I then realized that our "Top 20" students were not really geniuses, but just a bunch of average kids who do all the busywork.

I believe someone was arguing that the grading system is necessary, and I'd agree to an extent. I think that without the grades, students would get apathetic. But the way things are now, students aren't even learning. Balance is what we need. When something becomes mechanical and routine, it eventually loses its meaning. So, in schools, grades and standards have undermined the actual purpose of it all -- to gain knowledge for the sake of knowledge and share a productive and educational experience with others.

I may be overexaggerating a bit, but when kids are regularly comparing school to prison, I'd say there's a problem.

Back
Top Bottom