• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The GOP is no longer a party. It’s a movement to impose White Christian nationalism.

You have just earned a rare honor. One of only three posters I have ever put on my 'list'. Goodbye
Very happy to be there. My list is over 50. You probably saved me the trouble of making it 51

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”
― Barry Goldwater

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”
― Barry Goldwater

Barry Goldwater isn't a politician one would ever associate with the word "winner".

Barry Goldwater isn't a politician one would ever associate with the word "winner".

In the general election he got destroyed.

However, he was the first Republican to garner five Deep South states making headway for his party.

Reason and religion cannot be used in the same sentence.

How is the GOP imposing White Christian nationalism by opposing life changing, medically unnecessary surgery on minors?
Because religion is often used by the right in this argument: it exists in various places of this forum.

Further, you can literally search online and find videos of sermons from churches that proudly support the GOP to this effect.

Not sure how you missed it.

Opinion​

The GOP is no longer a party. It’s a movement to impose White Christian nationalism.​

People might be confused about how a Republican Party that once worried about government overreach now seeks to control medical care for transgender children and retaliate against a corporation for objecting to a bill targeting LGBTQ students. And why is it that the most ambitious Republicans are spending more time battling nonexistent critical race theory in schools than on health care or inflation?

To explain this, one must acknowledge that the GOP is not a political party anymore. It is a movement dedicated to imposing White Christian nationalism.
The media blandly describes the GOP’s obsessions as “culture wars,” but that suggests there is another side seeking to impose its views on others. In reality, only one side is repudiating pluralistic democracy — White, Christian and mainly rural Americans who are becoming a minority group and want to maintain their political power.

The result is an alarming pattern: Any moment of social progress is soon followed by reactionary panic and claims of victimhood. It’s no mere coincidence that Donald Trump, the leader of the birther movement, succeeded the first African American president. Nor should the anti-critical-race-theory movement surprise anyone given the mass protests in the wake of George Floyd’s murder in 2020. Understanding his phenomenon is crucial to preserving pluralistic democracy.

snip
Jen Rubin. Pffft.

If you want to answer the main question in this thread, think back and ask yourself when was the last time you heard the GOP announce a real economic policy vs focussing on all the 'side issues' that rally their more evangelical supporters? Last I can remember was Trump in Feb (Jan?) 2020, and what he said even then was mindless drivel.

Even getting to the point where we can argue this stuff needs serious focus on maintaining a strong economy, and my view is that the GOP have sadly completely dropped the ball on that, where we would traditionally expect them to be the champions of a strong economy.

Fundamentally, the Op's opening assertion seems not terribly far from reality if you look at actions rather than the traditional political rhetoric. That's pretty sad to realise for the average centrist conservative thinker..

Opposing teaching five year olds the finer points of anal sex isn't white nationalism. It's common sense.
Nobody's is doing that.

It's an oughtright lie.

Nobody's is doing that.

It's an oughtright lie.
Unfortunately, and very disappointingly, some of the GOP have doubled, and tripled, and....., down on their scare tactic electioneering. If you don't have enough true policies to get the needed votes you just tell everyone how scary bad the other guys are. Lying and massive hyperbole are just part of that game. It's a cheap way to get votes when you are too clueless to attract them through creating sensible policy to support your candidacy. .

"imposing white Christian nationalism" seems extreme. I'd argue they exploit aspects/narratives of the ideology to gain/retain political power whenever they deem it useful.

It's more of a cult of personality at present.

Hell, who doesn't know that? It's not new.

The opinion is unhinged? Why so?
Not unhinged, an overreach. I have to believe that MTGreene and other extreme types are like pilot fish and remora, who attach themselves to a shark to nibble on scraps. If/when the GOP distances itself from Trump, these will fade in influence if not in headlines, and the party will likely get back to policy (other than tax cuts) that challenges democrats. Just wait, they may actually propose a platform at their 2024 convention. Unless of course Trump is the nominee. Then it may be as before, "Whatever Donald Wants."

On the other hand, democrats will pay a price if they do not start addressing to economic and cultural needs of white Christians. Their perceived scorn for that sector of the population fueled Trump.

Last edited:
Not unhinged, an overreach. I have to believe that MTGreene and other extreme types are like pilot fish and remora, who attach themselves to a shark to nibble on scraps. If/when the GOP distances itself from Trump, these will fade in influence if not in headlines, and the party will likely get back to policy (other than tax cuts) that challenges democrats. Just wait, they may actually propose a platform at their 2024 convention. Unless of course Trump is the nominee. Then it may be as before, "Whatever Donald Wants."

On the other hand, democrats will pay a price if they do not start addressing to economic and cultural needs of white Christians. Their perceived scorn for that sector of the population fueled Trump.

What are the "economic and cultural needs of white Christians"?

US Senator, nominee for president in an obvious lost cause, a person with the stones to tell Nixon it was time to go, early supporter of gay rights. I disagreed with him on just about everything, but he wasn't a loser.

What are the "economic and cultural needs of white Christians"?
"Cultural" may not have been the best word, but by that I meant the put downs of working class whites in our culture as dimwitted Archie Bunker types, deplorables, residents of "flyover country," etc. Economic needs involve the problems created by the inevitable advance of globalism, with the flight of blue collar jobs overseas or to right-to-work states.

Back
Top Bottom