• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The ELF - Organic Transit Vehicle.....

A good alternative to these may be the Air Hybrid type. They have their own advantages/disadvantages and I've yet to see an electric/air hybrid explored, but for city commuter vehicles it seems they'd do the trick.

It isn't even innovation it is merely a recumbent tricycle with a plastic shell and a battery

And a really, really, really big price tag, for what it is.

Try and find something similar. It's very hard. It's called a Velomobile, and most cost $10,000 without a electric engine, let along a solar panel.

Can you build something for cheaper then the ELF? Yes. How many man hours will you spend in designing a building it? Far more then you may be able to just work at your own specialty and pay these guys for their work.

A Tandem Reverse Trike typically cost's [sic] $5,000...stock.

A smaller reverse trike(single) cost's [sic] about $3,000....a simple electric conversion to match the ELF's will cost around $1500 (Direct Drive Geared Hub Motor converted).

For some people, Less is more. There is a threshold you cross in all things to where it becomes to much, or just enough. For some people, this is great for their needs, and I think it's awesome this company from their corner.

Recumbent bicycles/tricycles are a very tiny niche market, and I don't think anyone pretends that it is otherwise. I imagine that if they became popular enough, the price would fall dramatically, as they become more of a mass-produced item.

I suppose the ELF is really in the same boat; perhaps really not much more than a subset of the recumbent bicycle/tricycle niche. If it were popular enough to be mass-produced, it could be sold for a price that is more in line with what it is.

But there is just not any way that it makes sense for any normal person to spend $5,000 for one, when one can get a decent used car for about that cost, or a very good conventional bicycle for a tenth of that cost.

It's a frigging motor scooter with an extra wheel and a roof.

It's a frigging motor scooter with an extra wheel and a roof.

I can't honestly claim much expertise or any experience with motor scooters, but I find myself feeling almost certain that the average motor scooter is, in every imaginable way, superior to this thing, while costing less.

Back
Top Bottom