• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Difference in Atheists and Believers...

Wrong..."Faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen." Hebrews 11:1

The Bible defines faith as having two aspects. First, “faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for.” (Heb. 11:1a) If you have faith, you firmly believe that everything Jehovah says is true and will be fulfilled. For example, Jehovah told the Israelites: “If you could break my covenant regarding the day and my covenant regarding the night, to prevent day and night from coming at their proper time, only then could my covenant with my servant David be broken.” (Jer. 33:20, 21) Are you ever afraid that the sun might stop rising and setting in the sky, thus causing day and night to cease? If you do not doubt the physical laws that keep the earth rotating on its axis and orbiting the sun, should you doubt that the Creator of these laws can fulfill his word? Of course not!—Isa. 55:10, 11; Matt. 5:18.

Second, faith is “the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen.” Faith is said to be “the evident demonstration,” or “convincing evidence,” of things that are invisible to the eye and yet real. (Heb. 11:1b; ftn.) In what way? Suppose a child asks you, ‘How do you know that air exists?’ Although you have never seen air, you would likely help the child to reason on the evidence that exists—breathing, the effects of wind, and so on. Once the child is convinced of the evidence, he accepts the existence of what is invisible to him. Similarly, faith is based on solid evidence.—Rom. 1:20.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/b/r1/lp-e/nwtsty/45/1#study=discover&v=45:1:20
There you go again.

Circular reasoning.

You seriously don’t see the problem with defining faith using a source that itself requires faith to believe?
The smart people go to the source...

Smart people understand circular arguments are logical fallacies and don’t use them. They also don’t engage in apologetics for child murder.

I am an atheist, by definition, because I don’t believe in any god.

Same here.
The rest is pretty unimportant if you can't get past that first giant hurdle.

No, it explains what faith really is...not what you think it is...

Faith: firm belief in something for which there is no proof

Faulty logic.

"The Bible is true, here are some quotes from the Bible that prove it"

"Dumbledore is the greatest wizard in generations, here are some quotes from the Harry Potter books that prove it"

Etc.

Rational people follow objective evidence.
No, it explains what faith really is...not what you think it is...
Delusion is what it is. And yes, using faith to prove faith, the bible to prove the bible, ect is circular logic and a logical fallacy.

The difference between atheists and believers is simple:

Believes accept something, no matter how extraordinary and unsupported, as fact or truth, no questions asked. Atheists are simply not convinced until there is evidence.

I don't think agnostics have theistic beliefs, which makes them atheists.
Wrong. Agnostics take the position that one cannot know for certain either way.
But you are saying people don't know if there is a God but believe God to be true.
That would make them theists.

Wrong. Agnostics take the position that one cannot know for certain either way.

That would make them theists.
Right. I am saying if you don't know if there is a God you are not likely to believe in a god.

In other words if you are Agnostic it would be nearly contradictory to be theist.

Thus if you are Agnostic you are likely atheist as well.

Fails at the second line. I’m an atheist and I do not believe or claim “God does not exist”.

I have no way of knowing if a god exists or not, but I do know that no theists has provided sufficient verifiable evidence for one, and until I do, I will not believe in any god.
so your agnostic

Right. I am saying if you don't know if there is a God you are not likely to believe in a god.

In other words if you are Agnostic it would be nearly contradictory to be theist.

Thus if you are Agnostic you are likely atheist as well.
They're likely agnostic (weak) atheists.

Depends on how you read it...

5560ceb366e76e2e85f0a9b284392afa.jpg

Wake me up when someone comes up with a religion that believes in an "all-powerful God [that] brings redemption and healing to the world."

Then I'll start asking serious questions.

Wake me up when someone comes up with a religion that believes in an "all-powerful God [that] brings redemption and healing to the world."

Then I'll start asking serious questions.
You'd better wake up or you're gonna miss it...

Back
Top Bottom