• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Difference in Atheists and Believers...

No. That’s not true either. There are Agnostic Theists.

If you believe in a god, but doesn’t claim to know if a god actually exists or not, then you’re an Agnostic Theist.
I don't think agnostics have theistic beliefs, which makes them atheists.

Fail. As an atheist I live my life as if this is my only chance to make a difference, to do something that matters, to make my mark on the universe for future generations to see. I certainly don't start every day thinking "there is no god".

Today is the first day of the rest of your existence.

Live it like you mean it.
Your description sounds more altruistic than atheist.

If there is a God of some sort I have yet too see any evidence of it's existence is how I say it.

It's a subject that's not worth debating with someone of faith.

Atheists believe or have faith that there is no god. Christians like myself believe in God. Agnostics admit they don't know one way or the other.
No. Atheists are telling you that your interpretation of their lack of a belief in gods is wrong. Why are you so invested in your false worldview? Who knows better what someone believes or does not? Them of you? Much like the fake screed at the top, it's not for you to decide.

No. Atheists are telling you that your interpretation of their lack of a belief in gods is wrong. Why are you so invested in your false worldview? Who knows better what someone believes or does not? Them of you? Much like the fake screed at the top, it's not for you to decide.
Personally, I go by the dictionary definitions. Very easy to interpret.

I don't think agnostics have theistic beliefs, which makes them atheists.

Gnosticism/agnosticism has nothing to do with beliefs. It has to do with claims of knowledge, IE “gnosis”.

t
Fails at the second line. I’m an atheist and I do not believe or claim “God does not exist”.

I have no way of knowing if a god exists or not, but I do know that no theists has provided sufficient verifiable evidence for one, and until I do, I will not believe in any god.
Isn't that more an agnostic way of thinking? Because as an atheist I know gods do not exist. But to each their own.

For instance, the dictionary definition of “Conservative” yes?

“tending or disposed to maintain existing views, conditions, or institutions”

This means you support Biden since he’s the current existent president and are opposed to changing who sits in the Oval Office, yes?

Atheists are just like everybody else, we can be conservative, we can be liberals, we can be pro-choice, we can be pro-life, we can be fiscal conservatives or full blown social democrats. Being atheistic says nothing about our way of life or our views bar one, gods do not exist. That is the only thing that unites us on that single item.

Gnosticism/agnosticism has nothing to do with beliefs. It has to do with claims of knowledge, IE “gnosis”.
Right, but people who don't know if there is a God don't tend believe in one....i.e they don't tend to have theistic beliefs.

Depends on how you read it...
Your title refers to believers but the image you copied only mentions Christians. What about all the theists who believe entirely different things to you?

Also, there are loads of atheists who don't live their lives on the basis of their atheism, it's just one minor aspect of their character. You just don't notice that they're atheists.

Right, but people who don't know if there is a God don't tend believe in one....i.e they don't tend to have theistic beliefs.

That’s not true. There are millions and millions of theists who don’t know if a god exists but believe purely on faith.

That’s not true. There are millions and millions of theists who don’t know if a god exists but believe purely on faith.
I have yet to meet anyone who calls themself agnostic and holds theistic beliefs.

Or not, in your case.

The prefix "a" indicates the lack of the following word.

A theist believes in gods, an a-theist doesn't. It's not hard to work out.
Systole is a heartbeat. A-systole is the absence of a heartbeat.
Mentia is a medical term meaning the mind. Amentia is a severe congenital mental disability.

I have yet to meet anyone who calls themself agnostic and holds theistic beliefs.

Because most people use the incorrect pop-culture definition of “agnostic” that means literally nothing.

Because most people use the incorrect pop-culture definition of “agnostic” that means literally nothing.
I get what you're saying but I can't imagine a person who doesn't know if God's exist believing in them.

It is nearly, though not quite, contradictory.

I get what you're saying but I can't imagine a person who doesn't know if God's exist believing in them.

It is nearly, though not quite, contradictory.

Millions and millions of people do it everyday. They just don’t call themselves agnostics. They take their belief in god “on faith” instead of claiming to know its true.

Millions and millions of people do it everyday. They just don’t call themselves agnostics. They take their belief in god “on faith” instead of claiming to know its true.
Faith is believing something to be true without evidence.

Atheists believe or have faith that there is no god. Christians like myself believe in God. Agnostics admit they don't know one way or the other.
I am an agnostic because I don't know if God exists, and I don't think we can know if any Gods exist. Its unknowable either way. I am an atheist because I do not believe in any God or gods because there is insufficient evidence to convince me. I don't know for sure but I don't believe. I am an agnostic atheist.

Faith is believing something to be true without evidence.
Wrong..."Faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen." Hebrews 11:1

The Bible defines faith as having two aspects. First, “faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for.” (Heb. 11:1a) If you have faith, you firmly believe that everything Jehovah says is true and will be fulfilled. For example, Jehovah told the Israelites: “If you could break my covenant regarding the day and my covenant regarding the night, to prevent day and night from coming at their proper time, only then could my covenant with my servant David be broken.” (Jer. 33:20, 21) Are you ever afraid that the sun might stop rising and setting in the sky, thus causing day and night to cease? If you do not doubt the physical laws that keep the earth rotating on its axis and orbiting the sun, should you doubt that the Creator of these laws can fulfill his word? Of course not!—Isa. 55:10, 11; Matt. 5:18.

Second, faith is “the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen.” Faith is said to be “the evident demonstration,” or “convincing evidence,” of things that are invisible to the eye and yet real. (Heb. 11:1b; ftn.) In what way? Suppose a child asks you, ‘How do you know that air exists?’ Although you have never seen air, you would likely help the child to reason on the evidence that exists—breathing, the effects of wind, and so on. Once the child is convinced of the evidence, he accepts the existence of what is invisible to him. Similarly, faith is based on solid evidence.—Rom. 1:20.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/b/r1/lp-e/nwtsty/45/1#study=discover&v=45:1:20

Again, beliefs and claims of knowledge aren’t the same thing.
But you are saying people don't know if there is a God but believe God to be true.

I get the distinction you are making but that is damn close to being contradictory.

I haven't ever met such a person.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom