• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The "Ask The Atheist/Agnostic/Non-Believer" Thread

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
So supposedly we're afraid to answer questions are we?

Go ahead.
Ask your question.

Now keep in mind, an answer "you don't like", or refuse to accept is still an answer.

If you ask me/us what was before The Big Bang, or what created/started The Big Bang, and I/we say "I don't know", that's an actual and honest answer.

So go ahead.
Ask the questions the we atheists/agnostics/non-believers are supposed to be afraid to answer.

(I wonder if this thread will last as long as the one that "inspired" it? Somehow I doubt it.)

Go ahead.
Ask your question.

Now keep in mind, an answer "you don't like", or refuse to accept is still an answer.

If you ask me/us what was before The Big Bang, or what created/started The Big Bang, and I/we say "I don't know", that's an actual and honest answer.

So go ahead.
Ask the questions the we atheists/agnostics/non-believers are supposed to be afraid to answer.

(I wonder if this thread will last as long as the one that "inspired" it? Somehow I doubt it.)

This out to be an interested thread. Checking in just to see how it goes. No questions from me yet, as I am also an atheist.

Go ahead.
Ask your question.

So go ahead.

The thread about atheists supposedly being afraid to answer questions was a complete joke. I suspect their comments in this one will be no less disappointing.

Last edited:

Go ahead.
Ask your question.

So go ahead.

well that was always a false dishonest and retarded failed narrative

I know a bunch of atheists and none of them are afraid of questions

the problem is people who dont like atheists have to make up a false premiss to attack but it usually instantly fails.

It will be interesting to see who has questions for you, i do not. I couldn't care less about your beliefs or lack of beliefs in this case and I mean that in the most respectful way cause its none of my concern.

NORMAL atheists and religious people arent enemies or a threat to each other in america

Go ahead.
Ask your question.

So go ahead.

You should also add that "I don't know" isn't proof of a gods existence.

Go ahead.
Ask your question.

So go ahead.

I think the only question deserving an answer was asked by you...and I agree with your answer...which is why it is OK to accept ALL peoples faith and belief system...even their faith and belief system which doesnt involve the existence of a God.

For agnostics...Ive long said...I totally understand you.
For 'atheists'...I guess the only other question I would ask is "Can you point to the place on the doll where the bad people hurt you?"

Is it important for you to be "right" about the non-existence of the Christian God? If so, please explain why. If not, then please explain why you spend what seems to be alot of time arguing about it.

Go ahead.
Ask your question.

So go ahead.

Why should anyone care that you're an atheist?

Is it important for you to be "right" about the non-existence of the Christian God? If so, please explain why. If not, then please explain why you spend what seems to be alot of time arguing about it.
Oh...that IS a good one...especially in light of the people that have spent countless hours weekly creating threads deliberately attacking Christianity and faith (while studiously ignoring and/or as required usually defending Islamic variants).

ANOTHER good question....which could be partnered with "Who do you think is most likely to make sure other people know their lifestyle choices...atheists or vegans?"

Atheists do not necessarily believe in the "non-existence of the Christian God," so no, that is not important to being an atheist. Given the fact that the god depicted in Christian scripture is a miserably evil being, however, I do sincerely hope that it doesn't exist, and I'm happy to know there is no evidence that it does.

I spend a fair amount of time discussing the existence of gods (or the lack of evidence therefor) because it is interesting, and because I hope to help others escape the brainwashing they suffered as children, and maybe even make a difference in stopping the relentless assault that certain religious people are making on our civilized, secular society.

Atheists do not necessarily believe in the "non-existence of the Christian God," so no, that is not important to being an atheist. Given the fact that the god depicted in Christian scripture is a miserably evil being, however, I do sincerely hope that it doesn't exist, and I'm happy to know there is no evidence that it does.

I spend a fair amount of time discussing the existence of gods (or the lack of evidence therefor) because it is interesting, and because I hope to help others escape the brainwashing they suffered as children, and maybe even make a difference in stopping the relentless assault that certain religious people are making on our civilized, secular society.
Fair enuf response.

I’ve observed that for the vast majority of “Christians” you wouldn’t know that they were. They go about with their lives trying to live as well as they can. They do “good deeds” but then I’ve seen plenty of atheists doing the same. For me, at least, I wouldn’t know the difference between them unless I saw them coming out of a church (but even that is not conclusive).

Some atheists do seem to come off as militaristic in that they act and speak as if they are at war with religion and its adherents. Your point seems to suggest a mission. Does the saying: “Live and let live.” fade due to a perceived threat?

This transition from a primarily religious society to a non-religious one here in the United States has been almost as fast as the general acceptance of LGBTQs. It’s easy to get frustrated with people who stubbornly continue to cling to hopelessly obsolete mindsets and thinking, but when you step back and look at it from a historical perspective, the rapidity of these changes has been dizzying!

Oh...that IS a good one...especially in light of the people that have spent countless hours weekly creating threads deliberately attacking Christianity and faith (while studiously ignoring and/or as required usually defending Islamic variants).
Interesting choice of words. Specifically, “right” and “Christian god”?

Let’s start with the obvious first. Why did you single out “Christian god”?

What about the Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Shinto, Egyptian, Greek, or Pagan gods? Plus there’s all the native American gods…

How important is it to Christians to be “right” when it comes to any of the (optional) gods I listed above?

Have you heard the saying (paraphrasing here]: “The difference between an atheist and a theist is simply the disbelief in just one more god.”

Now to the second word. “Right”. What does “right” mean in the context of faith? Is it important to be “right” about intelligent alien life? Big Foot? Loch Ness Monster?

How does one ever actually determine “right” when talking about something that requires faith?

Thousands of religious beliefs, and those that follow those thousands all believe they’re “right”.

To answer your question directly, I don’t give it much thought. My life does not revolve around religion, god, faith, or a church. If I’m wrong, so be it.

What if you’re wrong?

Last bit. I hardly spend any time at all “arguing” about it.

Vast majority of my family has no clue what I don’t believe. Nobody I work with knows what I don’t believe. My neighbors have no clue what I don’t believe. I don’t display my beliefs on my car (like many religious folks do). I don’t display my beliefs with my clothing (like many religious folks do). I don’t wear jewelry that advertises my beliefs (like so many religious folks do). I don’t have yard art displaying my beliefs (like many religious folks do).

ANOTHER good question....which could be partnered with "Who do you think is most likely to make sure other people know their lifestyle choices...atheists or vegans?"

Context is everything.

If I'm cutting my grass, sitting at a hockey game, at work, grocery shopping, walking my dogs, generally living life - nobody should care.
And they don't. Just like I don't care who's a Jew, Hindu, Muslim, Catholic, Buddhist, Taoist, ....

However, it becomes a bit more important when discussing things like laws and politics and such in that some religious folks want to right laws that cater to their beliefs at the expense of the rights of those who believe differently.

So think of the whole Same Sex Marriage, and/or gay rights kind of thing. Or (sorry for mentioning this here) abortion/reproductive rights.
In that situation when "god" is brought up almost immediately by many, the atheism becomes important does it not?

"Who do you think is most likely to make sure other people know their lifestyle choices...atheists or vegans?"

We've been over this in the past.
Outside of DP (and online discussion forums in general), how often do you ever hear anyone advertise their "atheism"?

🍿 (I cannot wait to see the questions.)

Interesting choice of words. Specifically, “right” and “Christian god”?

Let’s start with the obvious first. Why did you single out “Christian god”?

What about the Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Shinto, Egyptian, Greek, or Pagan gods? Plus there’s all the native American gods…

How important is it to Christians to be “right” when it comes to any of the (optional) gods I listed above?

Have you heard the saying (paraphrasing here]: “The difference between an atheist and a theist is simply the disbelief in just one more god.”

Now to the second word. “Right”. What does “right” mean in the context of faith? Is it important to be “right” about intelligent alien life? Big Foot? Loch Ness Monster?

How does one ever actually determine “right” when talking about something that requires faith?

Thousands of religious beliefs, and those that follow those thousands all believe they’re “right”.

To answer your question directly, I don’t give it much thought. My life does not revolve around religion, god, faith, or a church. If I’m wrong, so be it.

What if you’re wrong?

Last bit. I hardly spend any time at all “arguing” about it.

Vast majority of my family has no clue what I don’t believe. Nobody I work with knows what I don’t believe. My neighbors have no clue what I don’t believe. I don’t display my beliefs on my car (like many religious folks do). I don’t display my beliefs with my clothing (like many religious folks do). I don’t wear jewelry that advertises my beliefs (like so many religious folks do). I don’t have yard art displaying my beliefs (like many religious folks do).
I do not wish to get bogged down with semantics. Even though I was under the impression that the purpose of this thread was an opportunity to ask atheists, etc. questions they might be afraid to answer I’ll nevertheless answer a few of yours in the spirit of fair play.

I chose to focus on the Christian God because it happens to be the predominant one “worshipped” in the United States. Had we been in a country of a different flavor I would have chosen that deity.

“Right” is only used in the vein of knowledge. No one intentionally wishes to be wrong about anything. We delve into a variety of subjects which we wish to have the “right” viewpoint concerning. Debating/arguing over those viewpoints is why we’re here in the first place.

If I’m wrong, I think Pascal’s wager has me covered. I have nothing to lose if I’m wrong but plenty to gain if I’m right.

Back to the issue of why “Christians” and not some other group? It’s been my experience that bringing up the other groups are only a springboard to “attack” the Christian beliefs in particular. Rarely have I seen threads devoted to the beliefs of other groups.

:ROFLMAO:

And yet, you do put that all on display here non-stop and have for years. You are THE most constant and consistent thread creator on this site, reliably bringing up new attacks pretty much at LEAST weekly.

I think the only question deserving an answer was asked by you...and I agree with your answer...which is why it is OK to accept ALL peoples faith and belief system...even their faith and belief system which doesnt involve the existence of a God.

For agnostics...Ive long said...I totally understand you.
For 'atheists'...I guess the only other question I would ask is "Can you point to the place on the doll where the bad people hurt you?"

Typical misrepresentation of atheists in the last sentence.

We've been over this in the past.
Outside of DP (and online discussion forums in general), how often do you ever hear anyone advertise their "atheism"?
I hear it pretty much every discussion forum...and certainly non-stop in here.

So your answer is vegans...but only because they are ore likely to do it in person. Gotcha.

Go ahead.
Ask your question.

So go ahead.

Sounds like you're serious.
I'm hesitant to ask. I'll more likely get a........<squeaky voice>................laughable answer.
Like this one:

post #57

I'm not him but will offer my opinion. It is important because as a non-religious country, we spend far too much time kowtowing to religious beliefs. Tax breaks to churches hurt everyone, do you think they get the stuff for free? Nope we all pay for them. Roe v Wade and all the kerfuffle associated with it is not a religious question, it is a health issue. And so on.

Back
Top Bottom