• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas man kills self after fatally shooting four, including his 8-year-old niece

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

RICHMOND, Texas (AP) — A man fatally shot his estranged wife and three other relatives, including his 8-year-old niece, at a home in suburban Houston over the weekend before killing himself, authorities said Wednesday.

Alrick “Shawn” Barrett, 46, opened fire at the home just before 7 a.m. Saturday after returning his young child from a visit, Fort Bend County Sheriff Eric Fagan said at a news conference. Fagan said that after arriving at the home, Barrett told his estranged wife that he wanted to reunite, but she refused.

Deputies responded to the home after getting a call from a 13-year-old boy in the home, Fagan said. The sheriff’s office said the teen is Barrett’s nephew.

The sheriff’s office said that the 13-year-old and Barrett’s 7-year-old child hid during the shooting and were not harmed. The mother of Barrett’s estranged wife was also in the home and was unharmed.

In addition to killing his niece and estranged wife, who was 44, Barrett also killed her 43-year-old brother and 46-year-old sister, according to the sheriff’s office. Fagan said he was not immediately releasing the names of those killed.

Fagan said that some of the family members lived in the home and others were visiting.

He said that last January, authorities had responded to a disturbance call because of a verbal argument between Barrett and his estranged wife. Fagan said that they were still looking into Barrett’s background but so far hadn’t found any further interaction between their office and Barrett.

The sheriff’s office said that since it remains an ongoing investigation, details about the weapon Barrett used are not available at this time.
=====================================================
The stars at night are big & bright...

I wish these sick bastards would just kill themselves and leave family members and hapless bystanders alone.

Many wish that criminals would obey the laws and not harm others, yet that’s not how the world works.

Many wish that criminals would obey the laws and not harm others, yet that’s not how the world works.
At least he got it out of his system.

Hmm. I guess that means the control of methods of engaging in crimes are rational and reasonable, huh?

And now, for introduction of pretzels into the thread....

violent people doing violent things

we live in a very violent country - I mean .... when more information comes out, what was his background? My ex was a whore and abandoned our family ... I never once even considered violence. Most men when their wives leave don't get violent

why was this man different? drugs? culture? mental illness ?

those questions need answered

So.... before Gun Nuts can start defending... was this a good guy with a gun or a bad guy that was never a good gun owner?

violent people doing violent things

we live in a very violent country - I mean .... when more information comes out, what was his background? My ex was a whore and abandoned our family ... I never once even considered violence. Most men when their wives leave don't get violent

why was this man different? drugs? culture? mental illness ?
Guns...

ok but literally millions of men owning guns have their wife's leave them every year

we don't commit violence against anyone

why? if its the guns, why aren't all guys who own guns killing their ex-wives ?

just checked. this didn't happen in Japan this year.

Something which applies to a single (now dead) person is rather useless, but you be you.
Certainly too late for those victims, but there are future victims of similarly-situated circumstances that could be saved. But you keep the wool over your eyes, like usual.

Certainly too late for those victims, but there are future victims of similarly-situated circumstances that could be saved. But you keep the wool over your eyes, like usual.

You have yet to state your proposed ‘solution’, which is keeping the wool over our eyes.

You have yet to state your proposed ‘solution’, which is keeping the wool over our eyes.
Oh, you have possession of too much wool as it is. "Many wish that criminals would obey the laws and not harm others, yet that’s not how the world works." Is that more pretzel or wool? Hard to tell.

Oh, you have possession of too much wool as it is. "Many wish that criminals would obey the laws and not harm others, yet that’s not how the world works." Is that more pretzel or wool? Hard to tell.

I was simply stating reality which is that criminals, by definition, don’t obey the law.

Homicide is already illegal, yet criminals continue to commit homicide(s).

Yet again, you refuse to state your proposed ‘solution’ and try to blame me for your reluctance (inability?) to do so.

Back
Top Bottom