• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas Electricity

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I can't believe that the Texas electricity providers cannot afford to upgrade their systems to handle more capacity. It seems like they keep just enough ability to provide barely a little above normal heat ranges.

The US is beginning to fall into 3rd world status with our dilapidated infrastructure.

The US is beginning to fall into 3rd world status with our dilapidated infrastructure.
Infrastructure spending should be like, the one thing everyone can agree on. It is criminal we don't have a high speed rail connecting major cities or allowing travel across the country.

I can't believe that the Texas electricity providers cannot afford to upgrade their systems to handle more capacity. It seems like they keep just enough ability to provide barely a little above normal heat ranges.

Its why I have a solar and wind array with a large battery bank and back up capstone generators. I provide my own power and I am not dependent on the grid. You think Texas is bad you should look into California and the West Coast. Oi.

Never fear, Greg "Hot Wheels" Abbott has banned drag shows!!!

Just wait until everyone has EV cars that charge all night long.

ERCOT has upgraded the grid, and identified and fixed the failures from the winter storm.
ERCOT Dashboard
Here is what they are asking people to do to conserve.
As Texas swelters, ERCOT calls on residents to conserve energy amid record-demand
Texas' grid operator is asking people to conserve energy from 4 to 8 p.m. if they can due to excessive heat warnings across the state leading to high demand for energy.

"(The Electric Reliability Council of Texas) is not experiencing emergency conditions," according to a statement from the state agency that operates the grid. "Voluntary conservation is a widely used industry tool that can help lower demand for a specific period of peak demand time, which is typically late afternoon into the evening hours."

Infrastructure spending should be like, the one thing everyone can agree on. It is criminal we don't have a high speed rail connecting major cities or allowing travel across the country.
High Speed Rail only is economical in places like Europe and Asia where the routes are fairly short compared to the USA. The reason being they can make multiple trips per day. Not so in the US at least on the West Coast to just past the Mississippi river. The North East cites and Los Angeles to las Vegas would probably work ok. We are a huge country and have lots of distance to cover and the expense of building HSR is daunting to say the least, trying to recover it and maintenance thats a really tricky widget. Especially when compared to air travel its closest competitor. Our roadways are multi purpose and direct verses HSR needing secondary transport at the destination.

Texas has chosen to be on their own as far as electricity.
They refuse to connect with grids outside the state.
Stupid is as stupid does.
And there are some real beauties in Texas.

Yes.... "Mocking" is reserved for and only to be used by the conservatives.
Oh, I see. Let's take a particular and morph it into a ridiculous and embarrassing overgeneralization that cannot be defended. Well done.

I have a suggestion, lower taxes, like it?

High Speed Rail only is economical in places like Europe and Asia where the routes are fairly short compared to the USA. The reason being they can make multiple trips per day. Not so in the US at least on the West Coast to just past the Mississippi river. The North East cites and Los Angeles to las Vegas would probably work ok. We are a huge country and have lots of distance to cover and the expense of building HSR is daunting to say the least, trying to recover it and maintenance thats a really tricky widget. Especially when compared to air travel its closest competitor. Our roadways are multi purpose and direct verses HSR needing secondary transport at the destination.
Costs, blah, blah, blah, let's throw in another hundred million to the military budget next year, I'm thinking a trillion isn't enough. We can 'find' money for other things but not to move our own society forward, we're busy building weapons to kill folks.

ERCOT has upgraded the grid, and identified and fixed the failures from the winter storm.
ERCOT Dashboard
Here is what they are asking people to do to conserve.
As Texas swelters, ERCOT calls on residents to conserve energy amid record-demand
Here's hoping that Texans will do their bit. Sigh, I say this as someone who would be the first to not turn on a heater in the cold but who will not adjust the thermo in the heat. In town there are buildings and other homes to block the sun, but out in the country, this isn't so. Thermo is set to 68, and there it will stay. Yesterday it was 82 inside the house, and this with tower fans blowing on high in every room as well as ceiling fans.

Maybe this is why you need regulations to force companies to do things like have adequate contingency for problems.

Nah, it's Texes where they just assume companies will do the right thing even though they never do.

Oh, I see. Let's take a particular and morph it into a ridiculous and embarrassing overgeneralization that cannot be defended. Well done.
Awww.... You can't find the funny here?
Too much "conservative Joe" this morning?

The fact that the US rail system is a complete joke compared to the rest of the world doesn't help.
It's been underfunded for the last 50 years and hey presto the system goes to shit.
High speed rail can and is viable over long distances it just requires funds for the initial building and then you get it back via fares and extra jobs.

Here's hoping that Texans will do their bit. Sigh, I say this as someone who would be the first to not turn on a heater in the cold but who will not adjust the thermo in the heat. In town there are buildings and other homes to block the sun, but out in the country, this isn't so. Thermo is set to 68, and there it will stay. Yesterday it was 82 inside the house, and this with tower fans blowing on high in every room as well as ceiling fans.
I had my system redone a few years ago, so it is zoned (Upstairs/Downstairs) with a seer 20 system.
So far, for days I set it for 76F and it stays there. Electric bills in the Summer have been MUCH lower (down about $190 a month)
I also added a lot of insulation, and got better windows.

No. High speed rail would be economical here too.

The thing is high speed rail needs its own tracks.
This is the problem we found in the UK and why we're building the worlds most expensive railway in HS2 which is a dedicated like just for high speed trains.

Any US system will need to be built from scratch but you at least have the benefit of having much more free land between cities as just buying the land for HS2 was a nightmare.

The US could create a hugh speed network quite easily if you decided to fund it and used similar construction methods to HS2 which has had many, many money saving methods like all the bridges being build on site.

The whole thing has been really well documented online if you fancy having a look.
One of the side effects is the creation of a vast green corridor alongside the railway with the countrys largest ever tree planting scheme.

The US can do trains, they choose not to.

Back
Top Bottom