• We will be taking the forum down for maintenance at [3:30 PM CDT] - in 25 minutes. We should be down less than 1 hour.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas Doctor Says He Performed an Abortion in Defiance of New State Law

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

Statement:

“I acted because I had a duty of care to this patient, as I do for all patients, and because she has a fundamental right to receive this care,” Dr. Braid wrote. “I fully understood that there could be legal consequences — but I wanted to make sure that Texas didn’t get away with its bid to prevent this blatantly unconstitutional law from being tested.”

This is now a game for the courts.

Someone had to be first. I applaud the willingness to be seen. I worry about the nutjobs.

Not sure running to the media and screaming ‘Look what I did?!?!’ is covered by a duty of care for the patient.

Not sure running to the media and screaming ‘Look what I did?!?!’ is covered by a duty of care for the patient.

No, that's a duty greater in scope.

I am announcing my intent to sue Governor Abbott for $10,000 for creating an environment in which the doctor felt a duty to perform a requested abortion. Since the Governor created that environment, he is complicit in supporting this doctor’s actions. And, I want some of his money.

I don’t need to be a Texas resident to sue, do I?

No, that's a duty greater in scope.

The standard of care for an OBGYN is going to be very limited on an abortion. Without looking it up I would imagine it specifies medical necessity, ie: maternal health complications and risk.

Some children won't be saved because some people are determined they die no matter the risk. But many children will be saved who otherwise would be fed to the abattoir. Even if the law is overturned, we are grateful for this brief reprieve from the bloodletting, and the meek assertion of democracy over oligarchy.

Some children won't be saved because some people are determined they die no matter the risk. But many children will be saved who otherwise would be fed to the abattoir. Even if the law is overturned, we are grateful for this brief reprieve from the bloodletting, and the meek assertion of democracy over oligarchy.

Except it's not democracy over oligarchy, it's the opposite. See, you don't understand that a majority of Americans oppose this law. In fact, a majority of Americans vote Democratic. It's anti-democratic structures at various levels of our government that keep conservatives in any kind of power.

It's you. You're on the side of oligarchy.

Did you know that the nation with the lowest abortion rate in the world is a nation where abortions are completely unrestricted and 100% paid for by taxpayers?

Not exactly cool to be bragging about taking a life.

Not exactly cool to be bragging about taking a life.
We know you see it this way.

Are you going to pretend you don't know he doesn't see it this way?

Good that there's now a test case.

The faster it gets through the courts, the better.

We know you see it this way.

Are you going to pretend you don't know he doesn't see it this way?
If he doesn't believe he ended a life he doesn't understand basic biology which isn't likely considering he has a medical license. The announcement was good to kickstart this through the courts so there could be movement on this law.

If he doesn't believe he ended a life he doesn't understand basic biology which isn't likely considering he has a medical license. The announcement was good to kickstart this through the courts so there could be movement on this law.
He ended a pregnancy. After 4 years of college and 3 years of medical school, I think he's good with biology.

The only way for terminate a pregnancy is to terminal a life. This isn't even an abortion debate, it's just basic biology.
A fetus is not a life. It's a potential life. I played college football, but I was never good enough to play in the NFL. I was never an NFL player, but a potential player. Get it?

Except it's not democracy over oligarchy, it's the opposite. See, you don't understand that a majority of Americans oppose this law.

A majority if Texans apparently don't. They elected Reoublicans who have loudly proclaimed their hostility to abortion for the past several decades. If this law came as a shock to them, they are free to vote differently.

In fact, a majority of Americans vote Democratic. It's anti-democratic structures at various levels of our government that keep conservatives in any kind of power.

Fine. Then why don't we allow democratic processes to determine the legality of abortion since you're so convinced of broad support for it?

What do you have to fear from democracy if your position is so popular?

It's you. You're on the side of oligarchy.

Did you know that the nation with the lowest abortion rate in the world is a nation where abortions are completely unrestricted and 100% paid for by taxpayers?

Cite that. Because Russia, where abortion is generally legal, has the highest abortion rate in the world. And Mexico, which until a few months ago severely restricted abortion, had one of the lowest abortion rates in the world.

Absolutely!

Not really an issue, the guy is like 70+ years old, he is likely beyond the end of his functional career. He is making a political statement for his beliefs, but his career isn't the issue. He is reaching to say he had a duty to perform an abortion. Unless there was an abruption or some other incredibly rare complication then there isn't really a medical situation where an emergent abortion is done.

Not really an issue, the guy is like 70+ years old, he is likely beyond the end of his functional career. He is making a political statement for his beliefs, but his career isn't the issue.

I wasn't aware of the doc's specific circumstances, but I very much suspected what you described. But he's still putting himself on the line for what (we assume) he believes, and he will go through public hell to do it.

He is reaching to say he had a duty to perform an abortion. Unless there was an abruption or some other incredibly rare complication then there isn't really a medical situation where an emergent abortion is done.

I really don't get into the abortion debate much, despite watching landmark cases, so unfortunately I don't understand the process you're describing here. In my personal life I'm against abortion for me & mine, but I don't intermix that with my public & political life's aspects - where I respect the Constitution & my fellow Americans' privacy & freedoms.

I wasn't aware of the doc's specific circumstances, but I very much suspected what you described. But he's still putting himself on the line for what (we assume) he believes, and he will go through public hell to do it.

I really don't get into the abortion debate much, despite watching landmark cases, so unfortunately I don't understand the process you're describing here. In my personal life I'm against abortion for me & mine, but I don't intermix that with my public & political life's aspects - where I respect the Constitution & my fellow Americans' privacy & freedoms.

Fair enough on all counts. The only reason I bring up standard of care is because a large part of my business world revolves around medical standards. I am just trying to point out that he made a political decision and not a medical decision, which is fine, just with he didn't try to hide behind medical duty.

Fair enough on all counts. The only reason I bring up standard of care is because a large part of my business world revolves around medical standards. I am just trying to point out that he made a political decision and not a medical decision, which is fine, just with he didn't try to hide behind medical duty.

Alright, that's a fair point.

Given his circumstances, I agree.

Thanks!

I'm not sure that's a general trend, though, because I don't think that's necessarily the reason for the low abortion rate. I think it has to do with countries attitudes and provision of contraceptives rather than abortion laws. Which I agree with...I'd much rather my taxpayer money be used to prevent unwanted pregnancies than kill unwanted unborn babies.

Did you know that the United States has some of the most unrestricted abortion laws in the world? Much less restrictive than most European countries.

I'm not sure that's a general trend, though, because I don't think that's necessarily the reason for the low abortion rate. I think it has to do with countries attitudes and provision of contraceptives rather than abortion laws. Which I agree with...I'd much rather my taxpayer money be used to prevent unwanted pregnancies than kill unwanted unborn babies.

Did you know that the United States has some of the most unrestricted abortion laws in the world? Much less restrictive than most European countries.

I wasn't saying that was the cause of low abortion rates.

Yes, it's about contraceptives, sex education, and a strong social safety net. The GOP spends its time fighting against policies that would lower abortion rates. And I don't just mean their abstinence-only sex education lunacy. It's practically their entire platform! Pregnant teen wants to go to college, but will never be able to afford college and a baby. But if the cost of college wasn't a factor, the decision might be affected.

If your primary objection is that this isn't fair they'd have to raise your taxes to pay for this, well, how many dollars is that human baby worth?

Back
Top Bottom