• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Texas Court of Criminal Appeals to hear DeLay request

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
DeLay appealed the denial by the trial court to try him immediately for the money laundering charges. The 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals denied his request to send the case back to the trial court to try him immediately. DeLay has now petitioned the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, who has agreed to hear DeLay's request. Apparently, all the justices on the Court of Criminal Appeals are republicans. Hmmmmmm......

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1153AP_DeLay.html

Why should Delay get special treatment?

scottyz said:
Why should Delay get special treatment?

Because he says he should. ;)

Justices for the Texas Court Criminal Appeals agreed merely to consider hearing DeLay's money laundering case. They never said they would accept the case, said Edward Marty, the court's general counsel.

The erroneous media reports, which the San Antonio Express-News published in a wire story and displayed online, come from DeLay's spokesman, Kevin Madden, in an e-mail sent to reporters Tuesday evening, after courts had closed for the night.

“FYI-Breaking news out of Austin, TX,” the e-mail stated. “The state Court of Criminal Appeals has agreed to hear Mr. DeLay's habeas motion that was filed at the end of last week. The court has set a one-week deadline for briefs to be filed by the parties involved. The court could essentially decide to end Ronnie Earle's prosecution after hearing this motion and the facts presented.”

Madden said this afternoon that he made an error and never intended to “spin” the story.

Source

BWG said:
Justices for the Texas Court Criminal Appeals agreed merely to consider hearing DeLay's money laundering case. They never said they would accept the case, said Edward Marty, the court's general counsel.

Hrmm.. I was under the impression that the Texas Court Criminal Appeals court is *not* original jurisdiction. No new evidence or hearing can even occur. Only the court reading the transcripts to see if something was out of ordinary or unconstitutional. Am I wrong?

aps said:
Apparently, all the justices on the Court of Criminal Appeals are republicans. Hmmmmmm......
Yep, Texas has very partisan elections when it comes to justices on the court. As do many states.

vauge said:
Hrmm.. I was under the impression that the Texas Court Criminal Appeals court is *not* original jurisdiction. No new evidence or hearing can even occur. Only the court reading the transcripts to see if something was out of ordinary or unconstitutional. Am I wrong?

What DeLay is trying to do is get the original court to begin his trial on a money-laundering charge while prosecutors appeal the dismissal of a related charge of violating the election code in 2002. He also filed a motion to expedite the appeal (by the prosecution) by shortening the time for filing briefs from the customary 20 days per side to five days.

The three-judge panel of the 3rd Court of Appeals said Senior Judge Pat Priest was correct to postpone any action on DeLay's money-laundering charge while the state is appealing the dismissed charge. The Court of Appeals also rejected the motion on the time for filing briefs.

He is appealing the 3rd Court of Appeals decisions to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals.

Does that help clear it up a little? :smile:

aps said:
DeLay appealed the denial by the trial court to try him immediately for the money laundering charges. The 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals denied his request to send the case back to the trial court to try him immediately. DeLay has now petitioned the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, who has agreed to hear DeLay's request. Apparently, all the justices on the Court of Criminal Appeals are republicans. Hmmmmmm......

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1153AP_DeLay.html

Update: The Republican dominated court of appeals turned down Delay's request. Delay then took the matter up before the Republican dominated Texas Supreme Court, which also ruled that Delay must stand trial, and the legal process must proceed in the usual way. Who did Delay think he was? Someone special? He is just another defendant, and Delay must take his place in like with all the other defendants. Think what you want of Texas, but there is no favoritism in the court system here. The Republican dominated courts are doing a good job.

danarhea said:
Update: The Republican dominated court of appeals turned down Delay's request. Delay then took the matter up before the Republican dominated Texas Supreme Court, which also ruled that Delay must stand trial, and the legal process must proceed in the usual way. Who did Delay think he was? Someone special? He is just another defendant, and Delay must take his place in like with all the other defendants. Think what you want of Texas, but there is no favoritism in the court system here. The Republican dominated courts are doing a good job.

Hi danarhea.

How did your gig go on Friday night?

I think DeLay did that to provide a facade that he is totally innocent of the charges brought against him. If he throws a tantrum and says he is innocent of the charges and wants a speedier trial than other defendant's get, it will make his supporters say, "Look, he's innocent. If he had anything to hide, he wouldn't be rushing to have his trial."

It's a ploy. I suspect he will be found guilty of at least one of the charges. He has finally reached the point where what goes around...comes around.

DeLay has cried all along that this is nothing more than a Democratic Conspiracy out to 'get him'. Now, I don't have any idea as to the disposition of his trial, but the Texas Supreme Court of Appeals, consisting of all Republicans, have said that this trial does indeed have merit. So that theory is all shot to hell. And on we go.

BWG said:
DeLay has cried all along that this is nothing more than a Democratic Conspiracy out to 'get him'. Now, I don't have any idea as to the disposition of his trial, but the Texas Supreme Court of Appeals, consisting of all Republicans, have said that this trial does indeed have merit. So that theory is all shot to hell. And on we go.
They must be fake Republicans that are secretly being controlled by Clinton. It's Clintons fault!

Yeah, it's either Clinton's fault or they resort to the old gradeschool excuse:

'But Mom, Johnny did it too'!!

They must be fake Republicans
I think there are going to be more and more of these in the coming months, as elections draw near.

How about this statement from one of the rightwing blogs that RightatNYU posted?

* Tom Delay Honorably Backs Down from Leadership Position :rofl

BWG said:
Yeah, it's either Clinton's fault or they resort to the old gradeschool excuse:

'But Mom, Johnny did it too'!!

They must be fake Republicans
I think there are going to be more and more of these in the coming months, as elections draw near.

How about this statement from one of the rightwing blogs that RightatNYU posted?

* Tom Delay Honorably Backs Down from Leadership Position :rofl

Honorably my ass. LOL. There were others who were drooling for Delay's job, and when Delay started sliding, they pushed him off the cliff.

Morale of the story - It doesnt pay to be a shark when you live in shark-infested waters. :)

Back
Top Bottom