• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tesla to lay off more than 10% of its staff, Electrek reports (1 Viewer)

My Mazda gets great mileage.. We are both retired, so we don't drive much anymore.. I won't be buying an EV.. But I guess some here will think I'm 'damaging' Tesla.. Or whatever..
If I lived in the city I'd definitely be looking at electric cars. Electricity here is some of the cheapest in North America and gas some of the most expensive. And only going up. But here I need my gas-guzzling F150. So **** Tesla.
There. It's my fault.

If I lived in the city I'd definitely be looking at electric cars. Electricity here is some of the cheapest in North America and gas some of the most expensive. And only going up. But here I need my gas-guzzling F150. So **** Tesla.
There. It's my fault.
Darn you to heck! To heck, I say!

You have wrecked MAGA's secret plan to wreck EV adoption, by wrecking EV adoption!

There. It's my fault.
Years ago we owned a F150.. Great truck... But once we retired we didn't need it anymore.. Traded it in for the Mazda.. Got a great trade-in price...

There. It's my fault.
Btw gas guzzling is perfect discription... Ours had a huge v-8..got about 6 mpg in the city... Lol

I’m just wondering if this company will end up like Xerox (Anyone remember it?) thanks to increased competition and economic headwinds. It pioneered an industry, but then went from Wall Street hero to zero in two years.
The owner of Xerox is still a billionaire.

Btw gas guzzling is perfect discription... Ours had a huge v-8..got about 6 mpg in the city... Lol
5.4L V8. Thankfully we can go 3 days without sparking it up but we need the 4X4 and cargo capacity. This island has about 50 miles of pavement and maybe 350 miles of logging roads. An outing for us is trying to find access to a stretch of beach we never saw before.

Xerox made some very good innovations, computer GUI, operated with a mouse, etc.. But never moved forward with them.. Their execs made some bad decisions..

Idk if Tesla will do that...

Yeah, Xerox's Palo Alto Research Center (PARC), probably best known as the inventor and developer of the computer mouse, did a great job making money for everyone except Xerox shareholders:

1713199270847.png

1713199325866.png

Just like Xerox did a great job educating Japanese companies on how to make photocopiers (previously referred to as "Xerox machines' that produced "Xeroxes"), the Chinese have learned from Tesla how to make world-class EVs. Companies like BYD are set to eat Tesla's lunch. Just as Xerox now concentrates its copier business on higher-end commercial machines, Elon knows better than to try to compete with them at the entry-level end.

Yeah, Xerox's Palo Alto Research Center (PARC), probably best known as the inventor and developer of the computer mouse, did a great job making money for everyone except Xerox shareholders.

View attachment 67504539

View attachment 67504540

Just like Xerox did a great job educating Japanese companies on how to make photocopiers (previously referred to as "Xerox machines' that produced "Xeroxes"), the Chinese have learned from Tesla how to make world-class EVs. Companies like BYD are set to eat Tesla's lunch. Just as Xerox now concentrates its copier business on higher-end commercial machines, Elon knows better than to try to compete with them at the entry-level end.

Not sure if it is true.. But the story is Jobs/Apple got their GUI Idea from Xerox.. And the mouse..

Not sure if it is true.. But the story is Jobs/Apple got their GUI Idea from Xerox.. And the mouse..

Looks perfectly plausible:

The GUI had its roots in the 1950s but was not developed until the 1970s when a group at the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) developed the Alto, a GUI-based computer. The Alto was the size of a large desk, and Xerox believed it unmarketable. Jobs took a tour of PARC in 1979, and saw the future of personal computing in the Alto. Although much of the Interface of both the Lisa and the Mac was based (at least intellectually) heavily on the work done at PARC, and many of the engineers there later left to join Apple, much of the Mac OS was written before Job's visit to PARC. When Jobs accused Bill Gates of Microsoft of stealing the GUI from Apple and using it in Windows 1.0, Gates fired back:

No, Steve, I think its more like we both have a rich neighbor named Xerox, and you broke in to steal the TV set, and you found out I'd been there first, and you said. "Hey that's no fair! I wanted to steal the TV set!

The fact that both Apple and Microsoft had gotten the idea of the GUI from Xerox put a major dent in Apple's lawsuit against Microsoft over the GUI several years later. Although much of The Mac OS is original, it was similar enough to the old Alto GUI to make a "look and feel" suit against Microsoft dubious.

For a more detailed discussion of the origins of the Mac OS GUI, click here

This is the result, IMO, of sub-par leadership at a critical time. Tesla's product stack has stagnated; I believe that they over-focused on Cybertruck when they should have been refreshing the 3/Y/X/S. (The Y is the second best selling vehicle on the planet, after the F150...)

Instead, their bread and butter has been left to age while everybody else is bringing out interesting and differentiating EVs.

Combine this with Musk's personal antics turning off many customers, and a leadership team that cannot call shots themselves while Musk is playing with Twitter or Neurolink, and one ends up with Tesla feeling over-valued by investors.

The model 3 has been updated, in China and Europe, coming now to the US. Both have been updated under the skin regularly as well

Thanks for posting. Very enlightening. I think Elon is still a dynamic product-focused person, so Tesla may not share the same fate as Xerox. But he needs to get his act together and make sure he picks the right products and devotes sufficient time and energy improving them and not going off on Mars tangents or whatever. Let’s see what happens with his taxi idea.

The model 3 has been updated, in China and Europe, coming now to the US. Both have been updated under the skin regularly as well
It's a very minor update. The 2024 vehicle provides the same driving experience as the 2021 model which provides the same driving experience as the 2018 model. I do love how the SW evolves - our 2021 3 is a "better" vehicle today than when we bought it purely on the strength of many software updates. Tesla is in a different league on this point versus any other automaker on the planet. That said, the driving experience has not changed in 6+ years now. That's an eternity in this industry.

It's a very minor update. The 2024 vehicle provides the same driving experience as the 2021 model which provides the same driving experience as the 2018 model. I do love how the SW evolves - our 2021 3 is a "better" vehicle today than when we bought it purely on the strength of many software updates. Tesla is in a different league on this point versus any other automaker on the planet. That said, the driving experience has not changed in 6+ years now. That's an eternity in this industry.
That the styling has not really changed will be an issue, why buy new when it looks the same as your current or used one.

Something Musk has not really thought about

That the styling has not really changed will be an issue, why buy new when it looks the same as your current or used one.

Something Musk has not really thought about
Again, I wrote about the driving experience -- not styling -- for a reason. The driving experience by and large has not improved, other than minor NVH improvements.

Incredible, innit? The rightist echo chamber spends years loudly declaring the absolute impracticality of EV's, spends years championing hundred-year-old technology on behalf of the big money invested in the obsolete low-tech, and then when a high-tech alternative hits a snag they call it the lefts fault.
It's beyond ridiculous.
Are you now on board that EV's are years/decades away from practical, and we shouldn't be attempting to rush it with government push?

If not, when will you be buying a Tesla?

Are you now on board that EV's are years/decades away from practical, and we shouldn't be attempting to rush it with government push?

How are they years/decades away from practical? They are already being used by everyday people in their day to day lives, they are already practical for many. I can’t leave my apartment without seeing a Tesla.

I mean their CEO clearly has other priorities running a social media platform.

Its not just Tesla...its all EV manufacturers. But because retarded leftists across the globe hate Elon Musk (because Elon Musk believes in free speech and he ruined one of their rat party propaganda machines) They will see this as a TESLA failure.

EVs are not selling like people hoped. Green energy isnt panning out.

How are they years/decades away from practical? They are already being used by everyday people in their day to day lives, they are already practical for many. I can’t leave my apartment without seeing a Tesla.
The reasons are legion. Some things that come to the top of my mind are:

1) A base model Tesla costs between $40,000-$95,000 depending on the model. They are luxury vehicles with prices to match. No one has made an affordable EV for the American market.

2) The infrastructure to support them does not exist.

EVs are practical for probably 60% of the population 95% of the time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom