• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tennessee preacher-cop calls for execution of LGBTQ people

It was a legitimate question. I don't know you, but it alarms me to think that I interact here almost daily with someone who may consider killing homosexuals to be okay on any level.

And BTW, you seriously don't know me at all.
See, now who said that...not me, but you'll make it up anyway....

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

That doesn't mean he has the right to keep his job. Bigotry and hate speech is not protected under any law.

Free speech doesn't mean "job security for nazis". I know nazis will tell you that, but don't believe them. They're just cowardly scum trying to leach off society.
Nazi's eh....Seriously? I know to you and a few others anyone that doesn't lock step with you is a Nazi, but it really is just classic clinical projection on your part sir....

Well, he's certainly within the law in so doing, but whether he should remain employed as a peace officer is definitely a point for discussion...

Discussion?

What is there to discuss? You think there is any circumstance in which someone who calls for the murder of gays should be allowed to stay a cop?

You'll have to show me some instances of black police officers giving sermons encouraging the congregation to "kill white babies!" and it not causing an uproar. On the left, right, or middle.

I'll be interested to see your links. Or are you just making up nonsense as per usual?
He didn't say "black cops", he said black panther nutjobs....

Nazi's eh....Seriously? I know to you and a few others anyone that doesn't lock step with you is a Nazi, but it really is just classic clinical projection on your part sir....

I know the word Nazi gets thrown around a lot to the point where it almost has lost all meaning. But the guy did say he wanted all gay people exterminated. Well defend his right to say gay people should be exterminated I think what he's saying is horrendous.

Tennessee preacher-cop calls for execution of LGBTQ people - CNN

Authorities in Tennessee are reviewing all pending cases involving a Knox County Sheriff's Office detective after he gave a sermon at his church that called for the government to execute members of the LGBTQ community.

"They are worthy of death," Grayson Fritts said in a June 2 sermon at All Scripture Baptist Church, a small church in Knoxville that he leads.
The church posted the sermon online and then removed it, according to The Washington Post. The video was picked up by the Tennessee Holler, an independent liberal news outlet, and edited into a six-minute clip.

Comments:

This is my first thread, so I hope I have followed all the requirements .

Here is another link with the actual short video that was captured by the Tennessee Holier where you can see this person talking

The Tennessee Holler (@TheTNHoller) | Twitter

I do not now if such words with such passion in this setting (church) seems to be within the protection of the first amendment free speech. I know that there is no free speech protection for inciting violence but I guess there is the issue of if in this case such words are perceived to lead people to imminent violence or not. On the other hand, I did a quick google search and found that in 1951 the Court concluded in Dennis v. United States that a danger need not be so "clear and present" if the ultimate harm was very grave (Dennis v. United States | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute)

One thing is sure... Fundamentalist Christians with his beliefs are closer to the fundamentalists Muslims in Brunei in how they want to treat people of different sexualities than close to modern westerners. Heck, even Brunei was forced to back down from the gay sex death sentence after the international criticism they received (Brunei Won't Enforce Death-By-Stoning Law For Gay Sex, Sultan Says : NPR)

He is simply preaching what is in the Bible. Anyone who has read it knows that. Fundamental Christians believe the Bible is the unerring Word of God:

“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,”
**2 Timothy‬ *3:16‬ *NIV‬‬

This preacher is simply practicing his beliefs. But, if he incites or engages in violence against anyone, he is committing a crime and is not protected by the First Amendment.

I know the word Nazi gets thrown around a lot to the point where it almost has lost all meaning. But the guy did say he wanted all gay people exterminated. Well defend his right to say gay people should be exterminated I think what he's saying is horrendous.
I agree...and if I were a member of his church, I'd have told him so on the spot.

I agree...and if I were a member of his church, I'd have told him so on the spot.

I don't care if he has a church and a congregation I thought the discussion is on whether or not he should be a police officer. Should you be a servant of the public if you believe they should be exterminated? Isn't that a conflict of interest?

See, now who said that...not me, but you'll make it up anyway....

And yet, you still won't answer my question.

The poor man.

He does not realize that by going ballistic over gay love, many people will suspect (rightly or wrongly) that he has a BIG secret about his life.

"Pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon!"

Hi, Barnacle. I'm interested in your opinion.

With this statement are you saying that BLM folks were wrong, in which case so was the preacher?

Or are you saying the BLM folks were right, in which case so was the preacher?

Back
Top Bottom