• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tea Partier's Warning-Filled Guide to D.C.

Let me help you out here to satisfy the rules for posting on this forum...

•At the West End Bistro, "Nancy Pelosi, Alan Greenspan, Andrea Mitchell, Clint Eastwood, and other notables, good and evil, local and visiting, may be spotted."
•On scary African people: "DC's population includes refugees from every country, as the families of embassy staffs of third world countries tend to stay in DC whenever a revolution in their homeland means that anyone in their family would be in danger if they went back. Most taxi drivers and many waiters/waitresses (especially in local coffee shops like the Bread and Chocolate chain) are immigrants, frequently from east Africa or Arab countries. As a rule, African immigrants do not like for you to assume they are African Americans and especially do not like for you to guess they are from a neighboring country (e.g. Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia) with whom they may have political or military tensions."

Tea Partier's Warning-Filled Guide to D.C. | The Atlantic Wire

Commentary goes here.

Link to forum rules. http://www.debatepolitics.com/news-2-0/52909-news-2-0-guidelines-7-25-09-a.html

This theme should be playing all throughout DC, people need to be reminded how much of a cesspool DC is

and this theme should be playing whenever the president travels

Here's the entire thing, in context:

Herein a visitors' guide. I will be updating it daily. Please post any issues you want addressed or researched.

I am told (but did not check) that hotels are very full. If one stays at interstate hotels (try those along the Richmond Highway in Alexandria or Fairfax County) you can get a room for $40-80 a night. But you will be dependent on driving into DC, not using a subway or bus, as you will be beyond the public transit system's reach.

So this is mainly a list of free, cheap, good, bad, and safe or unsafe things.

Free

One can get free wifi access in many parts of DC: any Starbucks (and often any restaurant adjacent to Starbucks); most Barnes & Noble bookstores (which usually contain a Starbucks); Caribou Coffee (another chain, though it restricts your access to "adult" sites including some FaceBook functions); Illy's (at New Hampshire Avenue and M Streets NW), which also has the best coffee.

Cheap

Silver Diner

3200 Wilson Bouelvard

Arlington, VA

and other locations see: www.silverdiner.com

[Clarendon metro stop, Blue and Orange line)

Pete's Diner

212 2nd Street SE

Washington, DC

(Good reasonably priced food on Capitol Hill; eat with the Congresscritters' staffers; across a side street from the Library of Congress)

[Capitol South metro, Blue and Orange Line]

Tandoori Time

1140 19th Street NW

Washington DC

Lunch buffet all you can eat (Indian) $7.99 plus tax

(downtown business distict)

[Dupont Circle metro, Red Line]

Pasha Bistro

1523 17th Street NW

Washington DC

tasty hamburgers and middle eastern food; free wifi; indoor & outdoor seating

(Dupont Circle, gay area)

[Dupont Circle metro, Red line]

CVS is the DC area drugstore chain and most carry simply hardwares and basic groceries (milk, bread, canned soup, TV dinners)

Trader Joe's

1101 25th Street NW

(25th and L)

Washington DC

Competitively priced food and wine, underground parking garage free to customers, free sample counter in back cooking up a different treat every day

[Foggy Bottom metro, Blue and Orange line]

Good

Libertarianish Virginia economics professor Tyler Cowen extensively explores and reviews restaurants, especially Northern Virginia Asian fare, at Tyler Cowen's Ethnic Dining Guide - All food is ethnic food.

Adding my own "bests"

Westend Bistro

1190 22nd Street NW

Washington DC 20037

Westend Bistro | by Eric Ripert

DC outpost of Manhattan restauraunteur Eric Ripert. Slightly pricey but the complicated market salad or the spaghetti bolognese can be enjoyed for under $20. Nancy Pelosi, Alan Greenspan, Andrea Mitchell, Clint Eastwood, and other notables, good and evil, local and visiting, may be spotted.

[Dupont Circle metro, Red line, or Foggy Bottom metro, Blue and Orange lines]

Willow

4301 North Fairfax Drive

Arlington, VA

Willow Restaurant - Arlington Virginia

Happy hour prices much cheaper than many DC area restaurants. $5 glasses of very good wines and $5 appetizer plates. The quality of the food is similar to posh downtown DC see-and-be-seen places that cost 2-3 times as much. Outdoor and indoor seating.

[Ballston metro, Blue and Orange line]

Jaleo

480 7th Street NW

Washington DC

Jaleo — the renowned Spanish tapas restaurant of José Andrés

Really near the Mall and monuments and close to a variety of metro stops. Tapas/Spanish.

[Chinatown metro, Red line]

Safety and Mores

DC's population includes refugees from every country, as the families of embassy staffs of third world countries tend to stay in DC whenever a revolution in their homeland means that anyone in their family would be in danger if they went back. Most taxi drivers and many waiters/waitresses (especially in local coffee shops like the Bread and Chocolate chain) are immigrants, frequently from east Africa or Arab countries. As a rule, African immigrants do not like for you to assume they are African Americans and especially do not like for you to guess they are from a neighboring country (e.g. Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia) with whom they may have political or military tensions. It's rare to meet anyone who gets really offended, but you can still be aware of the issue.

Many parts of DC are safe beyond the areas I will list here, but why chance it if you don't know where you are?

If you are on the subway stay on the Red line between Union Station and Shady Grove, Maryland. If you are on the Blue or Orange line do not go past Eastern Market (Capitol Hill) toward the Potomac Avenue stop and beyond; stay in NW DC and points in Virginia. Do not use the Green line or the Yellow line. These rules are even more important at night. There is of course nothing wrong with many other areas; but you don't know where you are, so you should not explore them.

If on foot or in a cab or bus, stay in Bethesda, Arlington (preferably north Arlington), Crystal City, Falls Church, Annandale, or Alexandria, or in DC only in northwest DC west (i.e. larger street numbers) of 14th or 16th streets, or if on Capitol Hill only in SE Capitol Hill (zip 20003) between 1st and 8th Streets, not farther out than 8th (e.g. 9th, 10th etc). (Or stay on the Mall and at the various monuments.) Again there are many other lovely places, from the Catholic University of America to Silver Spring, Maryland. But you don't know where you are so you cannot go, especially at night, unless you take me with you.

Bad

Nancy Pelosi's condo

Washington Harbour

3030 K Street NW

Washington DC 20007

(30th and K Streets NW)

Harry Reid's condo

Ritz-Carlton

1155 23rd Street NW

Washington DC 20037

(23rd and M Streets NW)

Bob Bauer/Anita Dunn

4413 Stanford Street

Chevy Chase, MD 20815

Tom Daschle's house

2830 Foxhall Road NW

Washington DC 20007

(Feel free to protest!)

Read it from beginning to end.

So . . . what's the what here?

Perhaps johnWOlin can explain.

Good luck with that..... he and filmfestguy are probably off making a new movie. :3oops:

Typical filthy conservative racist:

Bruce Majors: An Unlikely Tea Partier - The Daily Beast

The man who this week became a symbol of Tea Party intolerance with his D.C. Tea Party map was once a major Democratic donor, contributing tens of thousands of dollars to the party.

A number of bloggers pounced on the post as a symbol of Tea Party intolerance, noting that most of the neighborhoods to avoid were African American. Rachel Maddow devoted a segment of her show to the post in which guest Eugene Robinson, a columnist for The Washington Post, accused Majors of "scaring white people." DC Representative Eleanor Holmes Norton called the post "worrisome" and said she feared it would inflame racial tensions. Majors, who says he aspires to be "the gay, slightly more libertarian Ann Coulter," clearly relishes the attention. Upbeat and talkative, he sports a mischievous grin that refuses to fade.

Majors says he was most upset the guide was initially attributed to Maine Tea Partiers by some blogs, implying that the author was a stereotypical rural bigot. A lifelong libertarian, his own partisan politics are far more complicated than the average Tea Partier. According to OpenSecrets.org, he's donated about $15,000 to Democrats since 2000, including a $10,000 donation to the DNC in 2000, a $500 donation to Howard Dean in 2003, and a $1,000 donation to John Kerry in 2004. His only recent contribution to a Republican candidate was $250 in 2002 to retired Rep. Jim Kolbe, then lone openly gay Republican in Congress.

Majors says he also donated tens of thousands of dollars to the Human Rights Campaign, an LGBT advocacy group, and once won a role as an extra in the sitcom Will & Grace at one of their charity auctions. "I was going to a lot of lesbian cocktail parties raising money for Gore and then Kerry/Edwards," he said. "I'm sure they're all horrified this week."

I don't believe a damned thing that gets posted by him anymore because almost 100% of the time it turns out to be nothing like what he tried to portray it as.

I did silly. Don't you know a joke site when you see it?

That's the Maine Tea Party website.

I do understand humor - it's conservatives who think The Onion and Stephen Colbert are real who don't get it.

And yes, I overstated my case. But I always find people amusing when they go to the big city and enter with fear and trepidation. And I can laugh at it because I grew up in a small town and used to have that very same fear: until I outgrew it as adults should.

Back
Top Bottom