• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Tax system...

Do you think our tax system is fair?

  • Yes

    Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No

    Votes: 18 90.0%

  • Total voters
    20

conserv.pat15

Banned
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
647
Reaction score
7
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Do you think our tax system is fair?
 

Comrade Brian

DP Veteran
Joined
Apr 18, 2005
Messages
1,239
Reaction score
0
Location
NE, Minnesota
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
No. I don't think it is. What's with these threads about taxes lately?
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I voted no because I think there should be a user tax system.....
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
M14 Shooter said:
No.
Everyone should have their income taxed at the same rate.
Are you kidding? You think that someone that makes $10,000 a year should be taxed the same amount as someone that makes $100,000 a year?
 

conserv.pat15

Banned
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
647
Reaction score
7
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Stace said:
Are you kidding? You think that someone that makes $10,000 a year should be taxed the same amount as someone that makes $100,000 a year?
Yes... the same RATE. What is unfair about that?
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
conserv.pat15 said:
Yes... the same RATE. What is unfair about that?
Umm...I wasn't asking you. I was asking M14 Shooter, so that he could better explain his answer.
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,319
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
I recommend everyone read Flat Tax Revolution by Steve Forbes. It is an eloquent description of the many, many reasons that we should scrap our current tax system entirely and start anew with a flat tax. Under Forbes' plan, all income would be taxed at the same amount (he suggests 17%) and would allow generous personal deductions (a family of four would pay no tax on their first $46,000 of income).

Instituting a flat tax is one of the single most beneficial policy changes that our federal government could make.
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
Kandahar said:
I recommend everyone read Flat Tax Revolution by Steve Forbes. It is an eloquent description of the many, many reasons that we should scrap our current tax system entirely and start anew with a flat tax. Under Forbes' plan, all income would be taxed at the same amount (he suggests 17%) and would allow generous personal deductions (a family of four would pay no tax on their first $46,000 of income).

Instituting a flat tax is one of the single most beneficial policy changes that our federal government could make.
That makes a lot of sense...thank you for explaining that rather than spitting out a one liner. That system seems reasonably fair, and does not penalize low income families, nor would it overly tax higher income families. I think I remember seeing that book recently; I'll have to check it out when I see it again.
 

Vandeervecken

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 24, 2005
Messages
744
Reaction score
1
Location
Midland MI USA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Stace said:
Are you kidding? You think that someone that makes $10,000 a year should be taxed the same amount as someone that makes $100,000 a year?
I do. Anything else is unfair. You should not be penalized for being successful.

However I favor what is called the modified flat tax. I believe a tax rate should be set that all pay the same, and that the first $25,000 to $35,000 that an person makes should be tax-free.

That way everyone in the nation pays exactly the same and everything is fair, and it takes away the concerns of the seemingly regressive nature of a straight flat tax. No deductions of any kind allowed other than that one. Our tax forms would be a simple post-card.
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
Vandeervecken said:
I do. Anything else is unfair. You should not be penalized for being successful.

However I favor what is called the modified flat tax. I believe a tax rate should be set that all pay the same, and that the first $25,000 to $35,000 that an person makes should be tax-free.

That way everyone in the nation pays exactly the same and everything is fair, and it takes away the concerns of the seemingly regressive nature of a straight flat tax. No deductions of any kind allowed other than that one. Our tax forms would be a simple post-card.
Yeah, Kandahar explained that to me a bit more in detail, and it makes a lot of sense. I just don't like it when people simply give their opinion without explaining it at all. :lol:
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Stace said:
Are you kidding? You think that someone that makes $10,000 a year should be taxed the same amount as someone that makes $100,000 a year?

people that make $10,000. pay zero taxes...........
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
conserv.pat15 said:
Do you think our tax system is fair?
No and it violates our privacy. Flat rate or NST and everyone rich or poor pays something.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Stace said:
Are you kidding? You think that someone that makes $10,000 a year should be taxed the same amount as someone that makes $100,000 a year?
He didn't say that. Even the personal deduction is factored out and a for the sake of discussion rate of 15% the person making $10,000 would pay $1,500 and the person making $100,000 would pay $15,000. NOT the same amout by a 10 fold difference.
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
Stinger said:
He didn't say that. Even the personal deduction is factored out and a for the sake of discussion rate of 15% the person making $10,000 would pay $1,500 and the person making $100,000 would pay $15,000. NOT the same amout by a 10 fold difference.
1. Obviously, the flat tax thing has already been explained to me.

2. M14 said nothing about any specific rates or anything else. For all I know, he could have meant 50% for some crazy reason.
 

M14 Shooter

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
2,622
Reaction score
68
Location
Toledo-ish OH
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Stace said:
Are you kidding? You think that someone that makes $10,000 a year should be taxed the same amount as someone that makes $100,000 a year?
Taxed at the same rate, not taxed the same amount in raw dollars.
But I guess you figured that out by now.
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
M14 Shooter said:
Taxed at the same rate, not taxed the same amount in raw dollars.
But I guess you figured that out by now.
Yeah, I did...I admit, I misread what you wrote, and wrote my response before I actually thought about the difference.
 

JustMyPOV

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
143
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Kandahar said:
I recommend everyone read Flat Tax Revolution by Steve Forbes. It is an eloquent description of the many, many reasons that we should scrap our current tax system entirely and start anew with a flat tax. Under Forbes' plan, all income would be taxed at the same amount (he suggests 17%) and would allow generous personal deductions (a family of four would pay no tax on their first $46,000 of income).

Instituting a flat tax is one of the single most beneficial policy changes that our federal government could make.
I could definitely agree with this system as well. The problem you're going to find with getting it implemented is that there are thousands upon thousands of tax attorneys and accountants that are going to fight tooth and nail to keep the system complicated enough that their services are still needed. Also, the odds of getting the very wealthy to pay 17% of their income is slim to say the very least. A friend of mine who cleared $2million last year paid in less than 5% by the time his lawyer got done raking through the loopholes, so I wouldn't count on any kind of drastic simplification anytime soon. ;)
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Originally Posted by Stace
Are you kidding? You think that someone that makes $10,000 a year should be taxed the same amount as someone that makes $100,000 a year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
He didn't say that. Even the personal deduction is factored out and a for the sake of discussion rate of 15% the person making $10,000 would pay $1,500 and the person making $100,000 would pay $15,000. NOT the same amout by a 10 fold difference.




Stace said:
1. Obviously, the flat tax thing has already been explained to me.
Not obvious from your statement.

2. M14 said nothing about any specific rates or anything else. For all I know, he could have meant 50% for some crazy reason.
The specific rate is not the question, you questioned whether the person making $10,000 should pay the same AMOUNT as the person making $100,000. Under a flat tax they don't, they pay much less.
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
Stinger said:
Not obvious from your statement.
The statement you quoted was made before the system was explained to me. Perhaps you should have kept reading.


The specific rate is not the question, you questioned whether the person making $10,000 should pay the same AMOUNT as the person making $100,000. Under a flat tax they don't, they pay much less.
Yes, I understand that now. And as I already told M14, I misunderstood what I read and posted before I fully thought about it. Again, if you had read all posts, you would see that, as well.
 

Engimo

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
1,042
Reaction score
0
Location
New York
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Because of the fact that the cost of living does not increase proportionately with salary, a flat tax is essentially regressive. 17% of the income of someone making $30,000 is a lot more important to him/her than 17% of the income of someone making $500,000.
 

M14 Shooter

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
2,622
Reaction score
68
Location
Toledo-ish OH
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Engimo said:
Because of the fact that the cost of living does not increase proportionately with salary, a flat tax is essentially regressive. 17% of the income of someone making $30,000 is a lot more important to him/her than 17% of the income of someone making $500,000.
Most, if not all, flat tax proposals ignore the first several tens of thousands of dollars of income, based on the size of the family. Someone making $30,000 might very well pay no tax.

That way, the poor continue to pay no income tax, just like now.
 

Engimo

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
1,042
Reaction score
0
Location
New York
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
M14 Shooter said:
Most, if not all, flat tax proposals ignore the first several tens of thousands of dollars of income, based on the size of the family. Someone making $30,000 might very well pay no tax.

That way, the poor continue to pay no income tax, just like now.
While that does make the proposition much more attractive, the fact remains that the middle class is getting the short end of the stick when compared to the upper class - even if the absolute poorest are doing decently (of course, they're still poor, but they pay no taxes).
 

M14 Shooter

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
2,622
Reaction score
68
Location
Toledo-ish OH
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Engimo said:
While that does make the proposition much more attractive, the fact remains that the middle class is getting the short end of the stick when compared to the upper class - even if the absolute poorest are doing decently (of course, they're still poor, but they pay no taxes).
If they wind up paying less than they pay now, I'm sure the "middle class" won't care.

If everyone is to be treated equally before the law, how can the law tax people unequally?
 
Top Bottom