• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Surprising New Evidence Shows Bias in Police Use of Force but Not in Shootings

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
They sound so shocked...

A new study confirms that black men and women are treated differently in the hands of law enforcement. They are more likely to be touched, handcuffed, pushed to the ground or pepper-sprayed by a police officer, even after accounting for how, where and when they encounter the police.But when it comes to the most lethal form of force — police shootings — the study finds no racial bias.
“It is the most surprising result of my career,” said Roland G. Fryer Jr., the author of the study and a professor of economics at Harvard. The study examined more than a thousand shootings in 10 major police departments, in Texas, Florida and California.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/u...police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

Don't worry. It won't be believed.

That the NY Times is shocked? Oh I believe it those weas... OH the study won't be believed. I need coffee. And I agree.

If you don't act like an ass, chances are you won't be treated like one.

I have always thought the movement should focus more on police brutality and harassment than police shootings. Given the number of blacks in the country there really are very few shootings whereas nearly every black person has been or knows someone who has been harassed by the cops.

I have always thought the movement should focus more on police brutality and harassment than police shootings. Given the number of blacks in the country there really are very few shootings whereas nearly every black person has been or knows someone who has been harassed by the cops.

I always thought it should focus on education, as in how to deal with interactions with police.

If you think about it, nearly every single person knows someone who has been harassed by the police.
I have always said, people should be respected for honest work, because no matter how simple a job looks from the outside,
there are aspects of the job, we do not see.
With Police, there are many parts of policing that are not obvious.
One of these, is the ability to key in to when a person involved in a routine encounter with the
police, chooses to escalate the encounter.
If I think back of the people I know who had a bad time with the Police, they also were
people who were likely to give quite a bit of backtalk, and complain to the police.

I wonder if anyone has tried to find out how many people, black and white, who have been harassed by police have been under the influence of drugs (including alcohol, of course, our favorite drug).

Instead of dividing by skin color, let's divide by under the influence/not under the influence and see if there's some correlation there.

I'd be willing to bet that drugs play far more of a role in harassment and even shooting by cops than race does.

Ever watch "cops"? Invariably, the "bad boys" that are being arrested act as if their brains were pickled by some chemical or other.

This nation has long seen through this fabricated issue by the black community.

The black community benefits more from the police department than any race in this country.

People have just rolled their eyes and looked the other way on these complaints for decades. Not anymore.

If you obey the law, you'll be fine. Period.

I always thought it should focus on education, as in how to deal with interactions with police.

Education and respect for authority...but that seems so 50's. Blacks today are way to smart for that.

I'm white, and I know quite a few people who have been harassed by cops, and that includes my white husband, my white son, my white son's friends, my white nephew, and some white friends. Cop "harassment" isn't solely a black issue.

Indeed, this is a significant factor. We can do the best job we can in hiring and training good officers who won't discriminate, but if the community doesn't change it's tune no other initiative will be successful.

I'm white, and I know quite a few people who have been harassed by cops, and that includes my white husband, my white son, my white son's friends, my white nephew, and some white friends. Cop "harassment" isn't solely a black issue.

Hug ?

That is actually a very nice finding, should it bear out. And yes, it is a little surprising that there should be a significant difference in treatment other than shooting. But it is not shocking.

Suprise to some, not to others.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/u...e-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html?_r=0
As an economist, Mr. Fryer wonders if the difference between lethal force — where he did not find racial disparities — and nonlethal force — where he did — might be related to costs. Officers face great costs, legal and psychological, when they unnecessarily fire their weapons. But excessive use of lesser force is rarely tracked or punished. “No officer has ever told me that putting their hands on inner-city youth is a life-changing event,” he said, contrasting the consequences of shootings and lesser uses of force.

This nation has long seen through this fabricated issue by the black community.

The black community benefits more from the police department than any race in this country.

People have just rolled their eyes and looked the other way on these complaints for decades. Not anymore.

If you obey the law, you'll be fine. Period.

Not fabricated. Just does not fit for those with a narrow minded narrative.

True, it is not. But when it is substantially higher within the Black community, it then causes do not trust Police.

True, it is not. But when it is substantially higher within the Black community, it then causes do not trust Police.

If you're a white person who was harassed by police, it doesn't matter if everyone in your class or everyone in your town or everyone in the country is also harassed, or if it only happened to you. You only care about the impact on you.

There's another factor too - parental response. If my child or one of my grandchildren spoke or behaved around police the way I've seen on these videos they definitely wouldn't receive any support at all from the rest of the family. You allow your children to roam the streets saying, "**** the police", should be no surprise they turn out to be thuglettes.

If you're a white person who was harassed by police, it doesn't matter if everyone in your class or everyone in your town or everyone in the country is also harassed, or if it only happened to you. You only care about the impact on you.

When it occurs to all(many) family and friends over an extended period and is repeated, then as we have seen, Black Americans do not trust Police.
Now place this in low income areas, mainly Black from what I understand. Very easy to see what the repercussions of low levels of violence are.
Then add in socio-economic issues. Justice system, all have a part to play.
Then add in HUD and the deliberate segregation of Blacks using Fed Funds for housing development in cities.
That was noted from the 68 riots and recommended changes to funding. Romney, under Nixon tried, it was turned off by Nixon, and this continues to this day.

Then we have Redlining- outlawed in 68. Was still rampant up to the end of the century and is still ongoing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...lack-borrowers-just-as-they-did-50-years-ago/
Case in point: This week the Department of Housing and Urban Development settled with the largest bank headquartered in Wisconsin over claims that it discriminated from 2008-2010 against black and Hispanic borrowers in Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota. The bank, Associated Bank, denies wrongdoing in the settlement, but HUD itself is declaring victory in "one of the largest redlining complaints" ever brought by the federal government against a mortgage lender.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/18/upshot/police-killings-of-blacks-what-the-data-says.html

Yes. I saw that and understand the model's implications. But I had not thought of the non lethal issue before.
That is an honest response, hopefully more see this, and seek to address the other issues raised in this study.

When it occurs to all(many) family and friends over an extended period and is repeated, then as we have seen, Black Americans do not trust Police.
Now place this in low income areas, mainly Black from what I understand. Very easy to see what the repercussions of low levels of violence are.
Then add in socio-economic issues. Justice system, all have a part to play.
Then add in HUD and the deliberate segregation of Blacks using Fed Funds for housing development in cities.
That was noted from the 68 riots and recommended changes to funding. Romney, under Nixon tried, it was turned off by Nixon, and this continues to this day.

Then we have Redlining- outlawed in 68. Was still rampant up to the end of the century and is still ongoing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...lack-borrowers-just-as-they-did-50-years-ago/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/18/upshot/police-killings-of-blacks-what-the-data-says.html

Yes, I know all about redlining. It's against the law.

None of any of that has to do with the fact that cops harass white people too. Depending on your definition of "harassment". My son and 2 friends were pulled over recently and the car was searched because they suspected they had alcohol (they didn't). And in the opinions of my son and his friends, the cop harassed them for no reason. Should I assume they are lying because it never happens to white people? Should they assume all white people under the age of 19 will have the same problem.

Perhaps there is a substantial difference in risk in the black community for cops?

The black community doesn't seem to want to accept any responsibility for this "issue". There's a reason cops are a lot edgier in their neighborhoods, and for good reason.

Back
Top Bottom