• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court wipes out lower court rulings in Texas abortion battle

...and since both the right to travel and the right to abortion are both unenumerated rights, protected by the 9th amendment, I fail to see how it is a "false dichotomy." Are you sure you know what that means?
I think he might actually mean false analogy. The problem is an inadequate vocabulary.

1. Fetuses aren't babies.

2. So what?

3. The constitution is a list of restraints upon government, not an inclusive & exhaustive list of every right you have.
1. So you say. And fermenting grape juice isn't wine, a caterpillar isn't a butterfly, and a few flaming trees isn't a forest fire. Yet the only thing that differs in each case is a short period of time. Fetuses differ far less from babies than fermenting grape differs from wine, a caterpillar from a butterfly, and a few flaming trees from a forest fire. In point of fact, the only reason anyone distinguishes between a fetus and a baby is so they don't feel guilty when they kill it.

The distinction may be legally relevant, but I could never torture my thinking enough to believe it was moral--or even logical.

2. You're fortunate your mother decided not to kill you when you were.

3. Indeed. But don't call a right "constitutional" if your Constitution has nothing at all to say about it.

3. Indeed. But don't call a right "constitutional" if your Constitution has nothing at all to say about it.

Have you ever read the 9th amendment? The constitution doesn't have to mention it for it to be a right protected by the constitution.

Is an acorn an oak tree?

Once it falls to the ground and puts forth a tiny root, it is developing oak tree. Allowed to grow it doesn't become a palm tree.

Have you ever read the 9th amendment? The constitution doesn't have to mention it for it to be a right protected by the constitution.
By this definition, there's no such thing as a legal right that isn't constitutional. You divest the word of all meaning.

Once it falls to the ground and puts forth a tiny root, it is developing oak tree. Allowed to grow it doesn't become a palm tree.
So your argument is that an acorn won't be a palm tree. That makes no sense.

By this definition, there's no such thing as a legal right that isn't constitutional. You divest the word of all meaning.

No. Unenumerated rights are based on constitutional interpretation. Not many "legal rights" have passed that threshold despite your claim.

No. Unenumerated rights are based on constitutional interpretation. Not many "legal rights" have passed that threshold despite your claim.
Give us an example of a legal right held by an American that isn't a constitutional right, and explain why it isn't a constitutional right.

If you can't, I renew my criticism that Luce is turning the qualifier "constitutional" into a meaningless catch-all.

Not a valid analogy, since not all fetuses develop into babies. Some develop into tree frogs, and others into pitchers of lemonade. Some lucky mothers find that their fetus transforms into a solid gold bar when its born.

I should also point out that not all babies are developed from fetuses. For example, those babies brought by storks or fashioned from clay and then animated by magic incantation.

Hence it's clear that a fetus isn't just a baby in an early stage of development.

Give us an example of a legal right held by an American that isn't a constitutional right, and explain why it isn't a constitutional right.

If you can't, I renew my criticism that Luce is turning the qualifier "constitutional" into a meaningless catch-all.

Purchase of alchahol and obtaining a drivers license.

As to why they are not constitutional rights...well i have no idea. My only guess is nobody has sued to the supreme court yet or they did and failed.

Purchase of alchahol and obtaining a drivers license.

As to why they are not constitutional rights...well i have no idea. My only guess is nobody has sued to the supreme court yet or they did and failed.
Ah. So you're defining a "constitutional right" as any right challenged all the way to the SCOTUS and upheld at that level. I suppose that's fair.

Or, at least, I can't think of any single adjective that's more accurate.

Not a valid analogy, since not all fetuses develop into babies. Some develop into tree frogs, and others into pitchers of lemonade. Some lucky mothers find that their fetus transforms into a solid gold bar when its born.

I should also point out that not all babies are developed from fetuses. For example, those babies brought by storks or fashioned from clay and then animated by magic incantation.

Hence it's clear that a fetus isn't just a baby in an early stage of development.

I know of one fetus that became turd, but a semi high functioning kind of turd.:confused:

Oh, they know what they believe. Just view their every accusation as an accidental confession and it'll all make sense.

I think that has been true ever since "pizzagate". I think that it was projection for all the money made on human trafficking of immigrants the right does. Including putting children in private prisons that cross the border with their families and are then separated from them, and put in private facilities where those facilities make $775 a day housing them there. If that isn't a legalized version of human trafficking, I don't know what is.

Ah. So you're defining a "constitutional right" as any right challenged all the way to the SCOTUS and upheld at that level. I suppose that's fair.

Or, at least, I can't think of any single adjective that's more accurate.

Well for unenumerated rights I am not sure how a person would know for sure unless it went all the way up to SCOTUS.

I lived in Georgia a couple of years. On Sunday the beer coolers were locked...even during football season! I wonder what would have happened had I sued?

Back
Top Bottom