• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Study: Cons are more racist than Libs

It doesn't surprise me, but it has NO significance. I'm a conservative, but my wife and I are from different races.

Be careful not to confuse correlation with causation. Liberals tend to be more urban (and therefore exposed to more people of various racial backgrounds), while conservatives tend to be more suburban and rural (and therefore mostly surrounded by people of the same racial background).

Doesn't mean that racism causes people to be conservative, or that conservatism causes people to be racist.

1) A hysteric like Che calling something "scientific" is highly suspect.

2) From where I sit, this conclusion is backwards as hell. It is conservatives who are always arguing for basing hiring, school admissions, etc. on merit rather than race. It is always liberals who feed blacks their baseless paranoid bigotry and tell them they are too inferior to achieve anything without race based handots.

The elitist snobs at the core of the left (the Arianna Huffingtons, John Kerrys, Ted Kennedys, etc.) are far more racist than the normal, mainstream, middle America at the core of the right. See "Democrats are for the rich" thread for facts to back up that description. ;)

The left's racism can best be seen when they find a black person it is ok to unleash their bigotry on like Condi Rice and Colin Powell. The openly racist slurs, smears and cartoons about blacks who dare to be too responsible and self-respecting for the left are very revealing.

I agree; it’s unlikely that conservatism causes racism or vice versa. Perhaps the same traumatic event in their past that caused them to become conservative in the first place also makes them susceptible to racism. :mrgreen:

Originally posted by Che:
Studies from University of Virginia have come to the following sciencetific conclusion. Cons are more likely to be racist than libs. Not that we need any proof but heres some anyway.
I found this to be very interesting in that link you provided. I always wonder why people discount things they hear simply because it's not in their comfort zone. Are they scared, or just stupid?

When presented with negative information about the candidates they liked, partisans of all stripes found ways to discount it , Westen said. When the unpalatable information was rejected, furthermore, the brain scans showed that volunteers gave themselves feel-good pats -- the scans showed that "reward centers" in volunteers' brains were activated. The psychologist observed that the way these subjects dealt with unwelcome information had curious parallels with drug addiction as addicts also reward themselves for wrong-headed behavior.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/29/AR2006012900642_pf.html

Causation is hardly the point; it wouldn't say anything worse about conservatives for their political leanings to cause racism (or vice versa) than to find that there is a correlation. And this is highly significant.

That said, it's pretty easy to find a causal chain between conservativism and racism--in a nutshell, conservativism is the ideology of resistance to change (including recent changes). In short, resistance to anything different. The rest of the argument is pretty obvious...

aquapub said:
1) A hysteric like Che calling something "scientific" is highly suspect.

2) From where I sit, this conclusion is backwards as hell. It is conservatives who are always arguing for basing hiring, school admissions, etc. on merit rather than race. It is always liberals who feed blacks their baseless paranoid bigotry and tell them they are too inferior to achieve anything without race based handots.
See...this is a RACIST post, again by Aquapub. She's consistently writing posts that are hate race based. She's talked about the need to "purify" America and now, again, she writes:

It is always liberals who feed blacks their baseless paranoid bigotry and tell them they are too inferior to achieve anything without race based handots.

98% of Black Americans support Democrats and do not support the Bush Crime Family. This is the largest margin of separation that I've ever known in my 50 years.

Now to underline how baseless her post is she discounts the scientific study done by the University of Virginia from the Wash. Post article and what proof does she submit in rebuttal? NOTHING! Just further hate speak consistent with her previous pro-white posts.

Aquapub...for once how about backing up your hate rhetoric with facts from a reputable source? For once...what do you say? Actually debate instead of hate?

I find liberals to be far more racist than Conservatives. Shall we take two of the more prominent Negro leaders in Jessie (keep hope alive) Jackson, and with Al (I support Tawanna Brawley's lies) Sharpton. Find me one sentence where either of these two have praised or shown support of a white man and I'll vote for Hillary in 2008. Wasn't it Jessie (k.h.a.) Jackson that referred to N.Y.C. as 'Hymietown?'

Liberal leaders like these two try hard to keep the minorities down and dependent on welfare. We all know the liberal platform has been to lobby for the poor, for the down and out, for the homeless by assuming the downtrodden negro of today is no better off than their ancesters on the plantations of servitude. If it isn't Al and Jessie demanding reparations from the white man--then it's Al and Jessie demanding cradle to grave benefits for their people without lifting a finger to help themselves.

Lets not forget that it was a Republican in Abe Lincoln that first cut the shackles from the negros' ankles.

Isn't it ironic that the Bush administration has more negroes in higher positions than any other. And everyone of these leaders got to that position in life without the aid of affirmative action or quota discriminations.

ptsdkid said:
I find liberals to be far more racist than Conservatives. Shall we take two of the more prominent Negro leaders in Jessie (keep hope alive) Jackson, and with Al (I support Tawanna Brawley's lies) Sharpton. Find me one sentence where either of these two have praised or shown support of a white man and I'll vote for Hillary in 2008.
NEGRO? Are you for real? Sorry the insulting use of the term NEGRO by you disqualifies you, again, from having an insight into the real world. Does your PTSD include a disposition to racial bias? Apparently it does.
ptsdkid said:
Lets not forget that it was a Republican in Abe Lincoln that first cut the shackles from the negros' ankles.
Have you ever studied anything about US History? Obviously you know nothing about the Republican party of the 1860s vs. the GOP of today! What a ridiculously ignorant statement.
ptsdkid said:
Isn't it ironic that the Bush administration has more negroes in higher positions than any other. And everyone of these leaders got to that position in life without the aid of affirmative action or quota discriminations.
Yeah right, Bush the great liberator of Black Americans. He's so successful that all of 2% of Blacks support him. Only someone who is prejudiced measures Bush's record by his appointments versus his record.

NEGRO! You're post is sickening.

26 X World Champs said:
NEGRO? Are you for real? Sorry the insulting use of the term NEGRO by you disqualifies you, again, from having an insight into the real world. Does your PTSD include a disposition to racial bias? Apparently it does.

***It didn't take long to bait you into responding to my use of of an appropriate and harmless term..like Negro. The usual trick of liberals is to throw red-herrings into the fore--so as to take attention away from the subject matter, and from your immaturity and ignorance thereof.
Its liberals like yourself, Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton that continue to find the most ridiculous items in which to base your cry of racism over. If it isn't the silly racial profiling, its the hoax that Republican operatives were forcing potential Democratic voters away from the polls at gunpoint, to the silliness that its racist if companies/schools etc refuse to accept quotas or afirmative action, to this notion that its an insult to call a Negro a Negro.
Frankly, I cannot keep track of what the Negro leaders of our country want everyone else to call them. First it was Negro, then it was Black, then it was 'people of color'. Evidently, many of these Negroes find the word 'ni**er' to be of poor taste--even though many of the hoodlum Negroes call one another that term on a daily basis.
So my calling a person a Negro is on par with someone calling me a Caucasion. You could even call me a 'Honky' if you wish, my sensitivities aren't nearly as scrambled as yours.

Have you ever studied anything about US History? Obviously you know nothing about the Republican party of the 1860s vs. the GOP of today! What a ridiculously ignorant statement.

***American history is my baby. Perhaps you could tell me of what I do not know about the Republican Party--which I am a proud sustaining member.

Yeah right, Bush the great liberator of Black Americans. He's so successful that all of 2% of Blacks support him. Only someone who is prejudiced measures Bush's record by his appointments versus his record.

***First, you couldn't deny that Bush has hired more Negroes to powerful positions than even Bill Clinton (our 1st Negro president) did in 8 years as our CIC. Second, the way the Negro leaders look upon thier minority people today--is by assuming they are entitled to government handouts as being 21st century slaves to the Caucasion man. Until this 98% of the Negro population wakes up to the fact that each one needs to pull themslf up by their bootstraps--then even you will have to start calling them slaves--instead of Negroes. The reverse discrimination here is being leveled out on the Negro by the Negro.

***NEGRO....your reply is immature and ignorant.

26 X World Champs said:
NEGRO? Are you for real? Sorry the insulting use of the term NEGRO by you disqualifies you, again, from having an insight into the real world.
Isn't the 'United Negro College Fund' a part of the real world? :doh

Tashah said:
Isn't the 'United Negro College Fund' a part of the real world? :doh

***Good point Tashah--you're as smart as you are pretty.

26 X World Champs said:
98% of Black Americans support Democrats and do not support the Bush Crime Family. This is the largest margin of separation that I've ever known in my 50 years.

Another one of your statements that you cannot back up?
Of course it is.

26 X World Champs said:

Absolute out and out lie. Source?

Aquapub...for once how about backing up your hate rhetoric with facts from a reputable source? For once...what do you say? Actually debate instead of hate?

...spoke the kettle

I think everyone's glossing over one key point...

Brian Jones, a spokesman for the Republican National Committee, said he disagreed with the study's conclusions but that it was difficult to offer a detailed critique, as the research had not yet been published and he could not review the methodology. He also questioned whether the researchers themselves had implicit biases -- against Republicans -- noting that Nosek and Harvard psychologist Mahzarin Banaji had given campaign contributions to Democrats.

Aside from the obvious problem that the researchers biases causes, THE RESEARCH HASN'T BEEN PEER REVIEWED!

Aka, it doesn't mean ****.

RightatNYU said:
Absolute out and out lie. Source?
Really? Ever read the Washington Post? Wall Street Journal? Watch MSNBC? In Octover of 2005 we found out:
A Polling Free-Fall Among Blacks

By Dan Froomkin
Special to washingtonpost.com
Thursday, October 13, 2005; 3:09 PM

In what may turn out to be one of the biggest free-falls in the history of presidential polling, President Bush's job-approval rating among African Americans has dropped to 2 percent, according to a new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll.

The drop among blacks drove Bush's overall job approval ratings to an all-time low of 39 percent in this poll. By comparison, 45 percent of whites and 36 percent of Hispanics approve of the job Bush is doing.

A few months after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the NBC/Wall Street Journal poll found Bush's approval rating among blacks at 51 percent. As recently as six months ago, it was at 19 percent.
Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2005/10/13/BL2005101300885.html

And you know what? Even if its 10% how pathetic is that? Name one other ethnic group that has a similar majority for or against Bush? Since there are about 30 million Black Americans that means that only 600,000 of Black Americans approve of the job Bush is doing! That is a staggeringly low number by any measure.

Prove me wrong, please? The election results of 2004 are not relevant in 2006 nor would it matter anyway as it would still represent a disgustedly low number even if you took that number as Bush loyalists, which I know is not the right number, as the 10/2005 poll clearly points out.

26 X World Champs said:
Really? Ever read the Washington Post? Wall Street Journal? Watch MSNBC? In Octover of 2005 we found out:

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2005/10/13/BL2005101300885.html

And you know what? Even if its 10% how pathetic is that? Name one other ethnic group that has a similar majority for or against Bush? Since there are about 30 million Black Americans that means that only 600,000 of Black Americans approve of the job Bush is doing! That is a staggeringly low number by any measure.

Prove me wrong, please? The election results of 2004 are not relevant in 2006 nor would it matter anyway as it would still represent a disgustedly low number even if you took that number as Bush loyalists, which I know is not the right number, as the 10/2005 poll clearly points out.

1. Did you actually READ THE ARTICLE??

"This latest poll included 807 people nationwide, and only 89 blacks."

You're going to extrapolate a poll with a sample size of EIGHTY NINE across the nation?? The margin of error on that survey? 11%. So, Bush's approval is 95% likely to be between -9% and 13%.

2. How about we actually compile some data to try to see a bigger significance?

http://www.mysterypollster.com/main/2005/10/update_2_among_.html

"So rather than focus on their polls from last week, MP asked if they would be willing to roll together their recent samples to increase the sample sizes and tabulate the Bush job rating for two periods: Polls conduced since Katrina (from September to October) and those conducted earlier in 2005 (from January to August). Here are the results."

Guess what that showed? Combining polls from Pew, CBS, and Fox (which, lest you claim bias, showed the biggest drop for Bush), Bush's approval rating among blacks before Katrina was around 17%, while shortly after, it had fallen to 13%.

I wonder how many of those blacks who got angry at Bush would still be angry if they saw through the media's lies and realized that the victims of hurricane katrina were disproportionately WHITE, not black.

3. "And you know what? Even if its 10% how pathetic is that?" So, in two sentences you basically admit "Hey! And even if (as you showed) I'm a complete liar, I'm still right because my basic implication was correct, even though I boldfaced lied to prove it.

RightatNYU said:
I think everyone's glossing over one key point...

Aside from the obvious problem that the researchers biases causes, THE RESEARCH HASN'T BEEN PEER REVIEWED!

Aka, it doesn't mean ****.
Let's look at this logically, shall we?

I wrote on this very subject in another thread just last week, I wrote:

Go back in time and take a look at photos of people who lynched Blacks, or who segregated this country, or who practiced racism, anti-semitism or hate based politics races of Americans and please point out the Liberals in those pictures..and then point out the Conservatives.

That's the difference...Liberals never discriminated against people of color or by religion, that's always the domain of Conservatives...Want another example?

The definition of LIBERAL is:

Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.

Now let's look at the definition of CONSERVATIVE:

Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.

Source for both is Dictionary.com.

OK...So liberals favor reform and are open to new ideas and conservatives tend to oppose change...like desgregation...which is precisely why only 2% of Blacks in America are Pro-Bush.

Interesting, don't you think? Plesae do not use the strawman argument that there are a select few Democrats (not LIBERALS) who have a negative racial history. I am not talking just about politicians, I am talking about Americans. It's true that Southern Democrats in the 50s and 60s were racists...which is why they've left the Democratic party and became Republicans! They were not welcome in the Democratic tent but are welcomed with open arms in the GOP tent...afterall it's a vote, right?

Show me one study or even one story from a non-biased source that proves that Conservatives are less racially biased than Liberals? It is illogical to argue otherwise because part of being a liberal is believing in equality for all, and that is just not part of the Conservative platform.

Show me that picture of the lynch mob that has all those Liberals in it, OK? I can show you plenty that have conservatives in it...

Bill%20O'Reilly's.gif

26 X World Champs said:
Let's look at this logically, shall we?

You say that, then immediately depart from logic, choosing instead to use the argument "Based on my opinion and preconception of history, I am going to claim that despite knowing nothing of the facts, those who lynched blacks in the south (which has no relation whatsoever to biases today), were probably conservative. Because I think so."

Interesting, don't you think? Plesae do not use the strawman argument that there are a select few Democrats (not LIBERALS) who have a negative racial history. I am not talking just about politicians, I am talking about Americans. It's true that Southern Democrats in the 50s and 60s were racists...which is why they've left the Democratic party and became Republicans! They were not welcome in the Democratic tent but are welcomed with open arms in the GOP tent...afterall it's a vote, right?

Just as I don't think it's fair to paint the entire democratic party with the anti-american brush that many in the extreme left wing lend to it, I don't think its fair to paint the gop with the racist brush that many in the extreme right wing lend to it.

Show me one study or even one story from a non-biased source that proves that Conservatives are less racially biased than Liberals? It is illogical to argue otherwise because part of being a liberal is believing in equality for all, and that is just not part of the Conservative platform.

Show me one study from a non-biased source that proves cons are MORE biased....we've already concurred that this one certainly isnt it.

Show me that picture of the lynch mob that has all those Liberals in it, OK? I can show you plenty that have conservatives in it...

I'm confused as to why you keep harping on this point.

1) You have no evidence that the people in said pictures are conservatives
2) A picture taken in the early 1900's of a few unnamed people is extrapolable to a party of a hundred million in the year 2006. Right.

It's like we're not even arguing on the same logical plane.

26 X World Champs said:

President Bush's job-approval rating among African Americans has dropped to 2 percent, according to a new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll

A 2% job-approval rating of Bush by Black Americans does not equate to 98% of Black Americans support Democrats. What you infer here is that every Black American who does not approve of presidential policy automatically belongs to the Democratic fold. Can there not be Republican and Independant Black Americans who also disapprove? What you suggest here borders on plantation politics.

RightatNYU said:
You say that, then immediately depart from logic, choosing instead to use the argument "Based on my opinion and preconception of history, I am going to claim that despite knowing nothing of the facts, those who lynched blacks in the south (which has no relation whatsoever to biases today), were probably conservative. Because I think so."
Do you think it was Liberals who were pro-segregation, Jim Crow, Poll Tax etc? The people who thought that way then are in the Conservative Party today, not in the Liberal Party.

This does not mean that Conservatives as a whole are racially biased, obviously. It does mean that far more Conservatives are biased than Liberals...the whole point of this thread...and indisputable. What logic do you employ that would prove that Liberals are more biased than Conservatives?

Repeat...not all Conservatives are biased, racist or any less open minded than Liberals are re race....but there are far more Conservatives who are than Liberals. My god! How can you be Liberal and a racist? It makes no sense? It would be like saying that Pro-LIfers are more Pro-Choice than Pro-Choice people...it would be untrue and silly.

26 X World Champs said:

Aww was he not cow towing to the politically correct thought police enough for you? There's a difference between not being P.C. friendly and being a racist.

26 X World Champs said:
Do you think it was Liberals who were pro-segregation, Jim Crow, Poll Tax etc? The people who thought that way then are in the Conservative Party today, not in the Liberal Party.

This does not mean that Conservatives as a whole are racially biased, obviously. It does mean that far more Conservatives are biased than Liberals...the whole point of this thread...and indisputable. What logic do you employ that would prove that Liberals are more biased than Conservatives?

Repeat...not all Conservatives are biased, racist or any less open minded than Liberals are re race....but there are far more Conservatives who are than Liberals. My god! How can you be Liberal and a racist? It makes no sense? It would be like saying that Pro-LIfers are more Pro-Choice than Pro-Choice people...it would be untrue and silly.

Ah ya it was the Democrats who stood in the way of desgregation legislation and it was a Democrat who stood infront of that school door. Liberals are racist because they think that the black man can not achieve on his own without governmental assistance that's why libs hollar racism when ever someone wants to get rid of welfare or affirmative action. Affirmative action has to be the single most racist piece of legislation in America today.

Back
Top Bottom