• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Student Loan Bubble Bursting?

It's already moving towards a free movement; I was commenting on current trends, not what I wanted.

University of the People (An online university that is currently applying for Accreditation, and is already licensed in California to give out legally recognized degrees.)

Eight Tuition-Free Colleges - WSJ.com (8 physical campuses that are considered tuition-free for most applicants)

There are dozens more that are following suite, it's not really a question of if, but when this will be a wide spread and accepted trend.

The only thing an employer needs to be an expert at is running there business; I really don't know what your point is, nobody expects them to be an expert on education, whether it's free or not.

Those are minor league and really have next to no shot of growing.

This will also allow employers to pay less. And I'm sure we need lower waged employees, but overall, this will not grow to anything significant.

Well, no, employers who stay in business are. They have to be. That's why a lot of them don't take online degrees. The group that is almost never experts on education is politicians, and they're the real dangerous group pushing this idea. That, and that now most of our orders are being handed down from Washington doesn't do anyone any favors.

Well, those who don't are certainly more informed than those who do. I'll give you that. And yes, politicians are certainly not experts. I'll agree to that as well.

Perhaps the model need to shift.
So that the University get paid based on how well their graduates get paid.
Provide some feedback, to encourage the Universities to produce a high value product.

I'll pay for it if you pick a ****ing useful degree AND you perform well AND the university is largely competitive and independent.

The idea that we'd pay for liberal arts B.S....lol, we already pay for those in the outrageous lack of productivity we get from those graduates for their remainder of their time in our nation. So much so that we have to import the useful workers...

(not entirely serious, but you get the idea).

My bet would be : yup.

And about time. Although the administrations' response will probably be something along the lines of "this just proves that a market can't make decisions about allocating education resources" :roll:

[/COLOR]

[/FONT][/COLOR]

In the long run this will be a good thing. College tuition prices should drop, and prospective students will have to think a lot harder about whether that psychology degree is really worth it. The road there is going to be rough though.

83% is quite a liberal number. Reading the article, that simply means that 17% say hell no and the rest say "it depends".

Online education is inferior--there's really no argument about that, it's fact. It's a good thing it exists, even MOOCs, but it should not replace traditional education for an economy of scale.

Well, no, employers who stay in business are. They have to be. That's why a lot of them don't take online degrees. The group that is almost never experts on education is politicians, and they're the real dangerous group pushing this idea. That, and that now most of our orders are being handed down from Washington doesn't do anyone any favors.

I don't really think that online education is inferior, I just think that most online students don't have the motivation to do what is required to get an online education. Other than for possibly some lab classes, there isn't any instruction that you can't get online as well as in person. Most online classes include a discussion portion where students posts to a class forum, and give and receive comments, and can ask for help.

I do agree that many employers may not give an online education as much weight as a classroom education though. Personally, I wouldn't have an issue hiring someone who's education was online, of course I don't require my employees to have a college degree either.

I think it's reached a breaking point and, combined with the potential for online degrees, a great many colleges could be shutting down most or all of their programs, in the next 5-10 years. Aside from the elite, wealthy schools, the others just can't operate without student loans and who in their right mind will take out $40k+ these days?

So much so that we have to import the useful workers...

Everything is made in China, why do you need more workers? ;)

I think it's reached a breaking point and, combined with the potential for online degrees, a great many colleges could be shutting down most or all of their programs, in the next 5-10 years. Aside from the elite, wealthy schools, the others just can't operate without student loans and who in their right mind will take out $40k+ these days?

Only if we ended the federal student loan program.

By the way, there are maximum loan amounts for federal student loans. And our colleges are packed full right now.

Everything is made in China, why do you need more workers? ;)

We could use quite a few workers in Iowa. If you're a welder, come here and go to work.

We could use quite a few workers in Iowa. If you're a welder, come here and go to work.

Nah. welding is icky manual labor that low-brow types do for a mere $60,000 a year. I would much more prefer to be a white-collar, successful psychology graduate and make a cool $24K a year as a barista at Starbucks.

Nah. welding is icky manual labor that low-brow types do for a mere $60,000 a year. I would much more prefer to be a white-collar, successful psychology graduate and make a cool $24K a year as a barista at Starbucks.

Perhaps. But both require some education and training.

However, the point is we do have jobs. We have a people issue, as in we don't have enough for the jobs.

Back
Top Bottom