• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

stranger danger:

Not sure the "older" generation was more polite. There was a time you could "call it as you see it", without being labeled a racist, bigot, etc. People had heated discussion, then went on their way. IMO, trying to be too "politically correct" causes some of the divide between generations. Its ok to agree to disagree on politics or any topic. Just don't label someone because they disagree with a certain view.

Not sure the "older" generation was more polite. There was a time you could "call it as you see it", without being labeled a racist, bigot, etc. People had heated discussion, then went on their way. IMO, trying to be too "politically correct" causes some of the divide between generations. Its ok to agree to disagree on politics or any topic. Just don't label someone because they disagree with a certain view.

it's not okay to badger a neighbor becasue of an obama sticker on a car.......and calling it like it is doesn't include, by any stretch of the imagination, calling obama a muslim. people who believe that sort of nonsense are NOT calling it like it is.....they are flat out lying.

it is okay to disagree.....but it's NOT okay to corner someone and rant about your personal idiotic beliefs. only at christmas, with your relatives, can you do this.

it's not okay to badger a neighbor becasue of an obama sticker on a car.......and calling it like it is doesn't include, by any stretch of the imagination, calling obama a muslim. people who believe that sort of nonsense are NOT calling it like it is.....they are flat out lying.
again, i disagree
my mother-in-law's 80+ year old friend, the former head of the republican party for the county, absolutely believes Obama is a muslim. this old fellow has very strong Christian ways. he is simply ignorant ... probably watches too much faux news. but he truly believes the propaganda about Obama being islamic and a non-citizen
other than his politics, he is a likeable old fart
it is okay to disagree.....but it's NOT okay to corner someone and rant about your personal idiotic beliefs. only at christmas, with your relatives, can you do this.
have you peeled that Obama bumper sticker off of your car, yet? that sticker says you wear your politics on your sleeve, for all to see
you don't get to have it both ways

again, i disagree
my mother-in-law's 80+ year old friend, the former head of the republican party for the county, absolutely believes Obama is a muslim. this old fellow has very strong Christian ways. he is simply ignorant ... probably watches too much faux news. but he truly believes the propaganda about Obama being islamic and a non-citizen
other than his politics, he is a likeable old fart

have you peeled that Obama bumper sticker off of your car, yet? that sticker says you wear your politics on your sleeve, for all to see
you don't get to have it both ways

it's on my husband's car, as i said, i work for bank. and a bumper sticker is hardly the same thing......it doesn't say i think bush was an alcoholic douche, now does it? not is a bumper sticker specifically addressing one person. this argument isn't valid.

and obama is not a muslim, so claiming he is, is a lie. just because a person believes something in their heart does not make it true.

and that is when you lost the political debate he initiated with you
you hoisted the white flag of surrender
no doubt he will be a bit more confident when he approaches the next timid victim

he believed you felt strongly enough about your politics to affix an Obama bumper sticker to your car to show it; the implication may have been that you were willing to take a public stand by publicly advertising your political support
if you look at his car, chances are there will be remnants of the dubya stickers from 2000 and 2004
he didn't need to know your name ... he presumed to know your politics
and i think he made a good guess

why, because his politics are those of the republicans?
that does not - of itself - make him other than a nice old guy (with piss poor political inclinations)
hell, there are some misguided republicans on these boards who i would prefer to have a beer or 12 with more than some of those in the center-left who share my brand of politics

but, based on your forum name and posts, while that was your spouse's car, it would appear your brand of politics is the same. and if that were not the case, you had the opportunity to express it ... but you instead backed away from any form of verbal combat

i don't WANT verbal combat with a neighbor.....and i don't want to make an old cry, because trust me, i could have.

it's on my husband's car, as i said, i work for bank.
and that holds what significance for this discussion
and a bumper sticker is hardly the same thing......it doesn't say i think bush was an alcoholic douche, now does it? not is a bumper sticker specifically addressing one person.
the bumper sticker on the car YOU were driving during this encounter says you were advocating for the democratic presidential nominee. more subtle than handing out business cards to the person on the street proclaiming your support for Obama - yes. but still a public proclaimation of your political support for that political candidate
this argument isn't valid.
what is not valid is your expectation that you can place a political statement on your car and advertise it while driving around and then expect the public to ignore it
and obama is not a muslim,
i don't think so, either
so claiming he is, is a lie.
if the lie has been circulated as fact by the foremost new station catering to America's conservatives, especially conservative Christians, then why is it so improbable that the incurious would accept that false premise as fact. that someone believes a lie being fed to them does not mean that they are intentionally lying as they spread what they have "learned" from what they view is a credible source of information
just because a person believes something in their heart does not make it true.
but since they believe it in their heart, that does not make it their lie
they are the victims of the faux network which would prey on their innocence (and inclination towards ignorance)

You know when they say, "Obviously you don't read," or some crap like that, that they have no real argument to put forward.

Your only mistake was engaging in conversation with a lower form of intelligence than yourself, but I can't blame you for trying to be nice.

(playing devil's advocate)

Do you have a link to back that up Mister? Huh? Do-ya do-ya do-ya?

just carry one of these in your pocket and blow it in his face when he says something stupid

PCU2217.jpg

just carry one of these in your pocket and blow it in his face when he says something stupid

PCU2217.jpg

Why would he care about a sign for unauthorized hot linking from worldofstock.com?

i don't WANT verbal combat with a neighbor...
and you avoided that confrontation once he gained the upper hand
but that act bothered you so much you went inside and began a thread about the incident
calling your neighbor ... someone you have offered to pet sit for ... a stranger. something is strange ... and it isn't him
and implying that he is a danger ... only because he noticed your publicly displayed political affiliation and chose to use that information to engage in small talk about it with you
such a danger [/sarcasm]
... and i don't want to make an old cry, because trust me, i could have.
you turned and ran
you were afraid of the power this political conservative potentially holds over you
you have shared no insight about what you could have expressed to counter his argument
you have told us that he countered your defense by insisting Obama had violated the Constitution. instead of presenting him facts to disabuse him of his false notions, you waved your flag of surrender, asking him to quit the debate
my suspicion is that inability to actually challenge this old fart's wrong notions is what has caused your thread to originate ... i refuse to provide the salve to apply on your self inflicted wounds

last night after work, i ran into a neighbor who was walking his dogs. as usual, i stoppped and chatted, and petted the dogs. i don't even know this man's name. he asked me where i worked, and i told him, a bank. we talked just a little about that, and then he asked me what i thought about the government. he said, "i know you have an obama sticker on your car, are you ready to say you made a mistake?"........i said, no, i wasn't. he then told me that obama was a muslim who was trying to turn our country into a mulsim state, and obama didn't care about the constitution. i asked him what was obama doing that was unconstitutional......he said i obviously didn't read. i said......can we just talk about the dogs?

why do people feel it's acceptable to badger a person about their politics, when they don't even know your name? i'm disgusted, and it's ruined the nice feelings i had about the old guy.

btw...the obama sticker is on my husband's car......as i mentioned, i work for a bank. not many liberals around here.

I hate to say this, but you're the one with the sticker on the car.

I'm surprised people are actually defending him. It's quite rude to bring up politics when one is having a conversation with a stranger. Unless politics is the reason you are talking to each other in the first place. But they were talking about his dogs. Politics, and religion is something I don't talk about with strangers, close friends, and family yeah, sure, but not some dude in the neighborhood walking his dogs.

I'm surprised people are actually defending him. It's quite rude to bring up politics when one is having a conversation with a stranger. Unless politics is the reason you are talking to each other in the first place. But they were talking about his dogs. Politics, and religion is something I don't talk about with strangers, close friends, and family yeah, sure, but not some dude in the neighborhood walking his dogs.

He has as much right to strike up a chat about a bumper sticker on her car as anything else. It was a car she got out of, whose name is on the title is irrelevant. She is so proud of Obama that she wants every single person that is behind her while she drives, as well as every single person that walks behind her car while parked, to know shes an Obama fan. She better be prepared to defend him. If she's so proud of all the good things he's done, why couldn't she counter his argument?

If I would post a bumper sticker on my car that says, "Obama is a bumbling idiotic muslim" don't you think that people would have a right to talk to me about it? I do. This country is in a state of turmoil and debt that we have never seen before. We are truly in trouble and he's the man driving the car into the ditch. Shes supporting him, boo hooing when someone confronts her about it, and then crying on a thread on a forum. Like that one guy said, don't expect me to provide the salve for your little self inflicted wound. You don't want people to confront you about it? Get the sticker off the car. Because if you insist that you have a right to keep it there, I insist they have a right to confront you about it.

He wasn't rude, he was straightforward. Just because its not something you agree with doesn't make it rude. If you call what he says rude, then most posters on this forum are rude. And what's with the danger thing? You sound like the media, "stranger danger" as it relates to child danger when in fact stranger danger is one of the least likely reasons a child is abducted behind runaways, family abductions, etc. But you, like the media, want to mislead with words. Well, you have learned well.

Last edited:
He wasn't rude, he was straightforward. Just because its not something you agree with doesn't make it rude. If you call what he says rude, then most posters on this forum are rude. And what's with the danger thing? You sound like the media, "stranger danger" as it relates to child danger when in fact stranger danger is one of the least likely reasons a child is abducted behind runaways, family abductions, etc. But you, like the media, want to mislead with words. Well, you have learned well.

No, he was rude. First off I think it's rude to talk about politics to complete strangers, and secondly if one is so inclined to talk about politics than you need to do it in a polite manner. Not demand an apology out of someone. It's rude. Especially if you are going to pull out a conspiracy theory, like the whole "birther" crap.

No, he was rude. First off I think it's rude to talk about politics to complete strangers, and secondly if one is so inclined to talk about politics than you need to do it in a polite manner. Not demand an apology out of someone. It's rude. Especially if you are going to pull out a conspiracy theory, like the whole "birther" crap.

Your post makes perfect sense considering your political lean.

I don't think bringing up politics is inherently rude. Especially if someone has a political bumpersticker on their car. That bumper sticker is making a public statement about your political lean to everyone who sees it. Why should you be offended when someone wants to discuss that statement? That said, this guy was a first class a-hole. Having a friendly, civil discussion about politics is one thing. Starting off a conversation by demanding someone recant and apologize for their views is entirely another. And being an ignorant moron who believes even the most ridiculous partisan propaganda doesn't help his case much either.

Put him on ignore. The next time he's walking his dogs and attempts to say hello, act like he's not even there. You are not required to maintain an acquaintance with this man. If he persists, spray him with pepper spray.

Back
Top Bottom