• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Steve King,Sean Hannity and Bill O'Rielly spewing racism.[W:171]

Re: Steve King,Sean Hannity and Bill O'Rielly spewing racism.

what post?

"Black society" has nothing to do with race???:shock:

I am not saying anything about whether they do or not, and it does not hurt me, I simply dont care. I just pointed out your blatantly racist statement. Why dont you double down on it again?

I don't think he understands what he's saying Mak.

sorry charlie, it's the truth. if you chose to call "truth" racism....that's your problem

Has it crossed your mind that maybe the problem is with you? You're from Alabama right? I know it well. I lived there for 10 years. I also know the history of race relations in Alabama as I would think you do. I've been to the Civil Rights Museum in B'ham. It's right across from the Church where 4 girls were killed. Alabama was wrong with Segregation and wrong with every aspect of the denial of Civil Rights to blacks. Now...why would anybody think that somebody from Alabama would have an open mind regarding racism when the same conservatism that was there before is still there today?

I take it this is in response to what I wrote (odd that you don't actually quote me)? If so, no, simply claiming something is racist does not demonstrate something is actually racist. For it to be racist, the idea would need to incorporate the effect into an inherent aspect of race or genetics. As I keep pointing out, highlighting issues in "black society" does not do that. because issues in "black society" could be caused by any number of things, from government policy targeting black society, to cultural behaviors that developed in "black society" over time.

"seems blatent" to you =/= fact.

No, such a statement is not inherently racist for the reasons I keep outlining. Unfortunately, you don't seem capable of understanding that going "no, I am right. This is racist" isn't an effective rebuttal to what I keep writing

Racism | Define Racism at Dictionary.com

Yes, "hereditary factors". I'm assuming you don't understand what hereditary means, and that you are confused that it would be pointing to a genetic component determining this

PS that's a rather sloppy definition, in itself

Having a scapegoat implies that, as a race, blacks do not try to improve themselves, but just sit around and blame those poor republicans for their problems. That is a racist statement.

No, such a statement is not inherently racist for the reasons I keep outlining. Unfortunately, you don't seem capable of understanding that going "no, I am right. This is racist" isn't an effective rebuttal to what I keep writing

Of course it is. Your reasons miss the mark. What you're doing is scapegoating and offering the stereotypical response. He's not saying No, I am right. He's saying NO, you're wrong, and illustrating where and why you're wrong.

What definition would you prefer?

Do you not realize that you're presenting a stereotype right there?....

STOP! Dude, you are sooo...expletive deleted. Truth is truth, spin it any way you want to. Using your logic NOTHING can be addressed for or against any issue involving any group, white, black w/e because to do so would be "stereotyping." That is a load of B/S!

Again, you are not going to guilt me, I feel no deep-seated self-hating responsibility for what history has wrought on any group. The past is the past, and if you want to get out of it and into future success you need to drop it and work to better yourself. No one, least of all me, is owed anything for the life we live. Help yourself, and when people see one is helping himself they often pitch in and help too. Whine about it and demand help? Then any help you get will be resented as it is given.

No, it really hasn't. All you do is ignore what he actually said and lob various irrelevant points around. Which do not validate anything you claimed

Right, and the fact that you can only go off on irrelevant tangents tends to highlight I'm doing a good job

Indeed it is

Because you're suggesting I view myself as infallible and that my logic is colored by this assumption

No, it really hasn't. All you do is ignore what he actually said and lob various irrelevant points around. Which do not validate anything you claimed

Wrong. I haven't ignored what he said. But what he said is completely undermined by his description of the Mexicans (certainly you're aware that he's referring to them) as being 130lbs. with calves the size of cantaloupes which is a result of hauling 70 lbs of drugs across the desert. For you to ignore the obvious stereotyping is simply an act of denial. "For every valedictorian there are another 100 that are small, around 130 lbs. etc etc.." Is it possible that there could be a 130 pound valedictorian with large calves, maybe because they also competed in sports. Is that a possibility? If so, then what is his description based on besides the stereotype that he has acquired and has firmly embedded in his brain?

Right, and the fact that you can only go off on irrelevant tangents tends to highlight I'm doing a good job

You can tell yourself that, if it lets you sleep better at night. You're the one in the defensive posture here. Not me. You've taken on the thankless chore of defending the dumbest man in congress. I don't envy you the task. The Republicans themselves are aware of his racist remarks and have called him out on them. I can see you like playing devils advocate, but suggesting that there are irrelevant tangents in play is simply false.

And asking you if you think you're infallibly correct is NOT a character attack.

Indeed it is

Not even close. It's a philosophical question. I happen to be a fallibilist which is a philosophical position. I'm asking if you believe that you're infallibly correct. How on earth could that be an ad hominem attack? What part of your character has been attacked??

You speak of "black society" and say that has nothing to do with race? You're acknowledging a racial subset, and then saying that has nothing to do with race??:roll:

lol, I literally just explained it to you: pointing to trends with in a group, even a group defined along racial lines, does not posit that those trends are derived from something inherent and dependent on race.

Again, clearly poverty is rife in the African American community. But pointing this out does not presuppose that it is due to some inherent racial flaw (caused due to some inherent defect with "blackness"). Such could be *caused* by many things that have no dependency on race, from govt policy that either directly or indirectly affects that racial group to cultural behaviors and ideals developed over time.

It's a rather simple point that I am honestly amazed that you find so confounding

STOP! Dude, you are sooo...expletive deleted. Truth is truth, spin it any way you want to. Using your logic NOTHING can be addressed for or against any issue involving any group, white, black w/e because to do so would be "stereotyping." That is a load of B/S!

Again, you are not going to guilt me, I feel no deep-seated self-hating responsibility for what history has wrought on any group. The past is the past, and if you want to get out of it and into future success you need to drop it and work to better yourself. No one, least of all me, is owed anything for the life we live. Help yourself, and when people see one is helping himself they often pitch in and help too. Whine about it and demand help? Then any help you get will be resented as it is given.

Dude, you are sooo...expletive deleted. Truth is truth, spin it any way you want to.

Dude...are you going to demonstrate Truth for us now, or continue with your value-judgment's and call them truth?

Using your logic NOTHING can be addressed for or against any issue involving any group, white, black w/e because to do so would be "stereotyping." That is a load of B/S!

And you follow with another value judgment. ( That is a load of B/S) Can you demonstrate the truth of your values for me? Using "my logic" we can determine what is false. I think that makes far more sense than attempting to prove something is true, which is exactly what you've been trying to do.

Dude...are you going to demonstrate Truth for us now, or continue with your value-judgment's and call them truth?

And you follow with another value judgment. ( That is a load of B/S) Can you demonstrate the truth of your values for me? Using "my logic" we can determine what is false. I think that makes far more sense than attempting to prove something is true, which is exactly what you've been trying to do.

Meh, you have demonstrated no "logic" you just keep labeling and constructing your own fantasies of meaning before applying them to me. I beleive I have expressed my position clearly. Thank you for your conversation. :coffeepap

I don't think you understand what "dicto simpliciter" actually implies, given that you even quoted him as writing "many black men and women buy into the "slave debt" and resentment mentality and act self-destructively", not all. Which would be committing the fallacy you cite (using a general rule of thumb as a universal)

Also, as noted befoire, such problems have been commented on by past civil rights leaders like malcolm X, and in no way suggest some inherent component dictated by race

It's nice of you to answer for your friend here, but what both of you are presenting is a series of one value judgment after another and then applying that to a race of people, be they black, or in Kings case, Hispanic. Now if past civil rights leaders like Malcom X are speaking to the black audience, how can you say that there is no component dictated by race? You're attempting to grab the words of somebody like Malcom X and use them to prove your point that there is no racial component to your argument. When there obviously is, as evidenced by your claiming this is what Malcom X said. Based on the logic of your own value judgment based argument, I can easily point out that many conservatives are racist to the core without needing to support that argument.

It's nice of you to answer for your friend here, but what both of you are presenting is a series of one value judgment after another and then applying that to a race of people, be they black, or in Kings case, Hispanic. Now if past civil rights leaders like Malcom X are speaking to the black audience, how can you say that there is no component dictated by race? You're attempting to grab the words of somebody like Malcom X and use them to prove your point that there is no racial component to your argument. When there obviously is, as evidenced by your claiming this is what Malcom X said. Based on the logic of your own value judgment based argument, I can easily point out that many conservatives are racist to the core without needing to support that argument.

I'm honestly not sure how many times I can explain the same thing to you, so at this point I'll just leave the discussion be

I take it this is in response to what I wrote (odd that you don't actually quote me)? If so, no, simply claiming something is racist does not demonstrate something is actually racist. For it to be racist, the idea would need to incorporate the effect into an inherent aspect of race or genetics. As I keep pointing out, highlighting issues in "black society" does not do that. because issues in "black society" could be caused by any number of things, from government policy targeting black society, to cultural behaviors that developed in "black society" over time.

"seems blatent" to you =/= fact.

Racism | Define Racism at Dictionary.com

Yes, "hereditary factors". I'm assuming you don't understand what hereditary means, and that you are confused that it would be pointing to a genetic component determining this

For it to be racist, the idea would need to incorporate the effect into an inherent aspect of race or genetics.

You're ignoring the obvious. Any time that you employ a stereotype you inject racism into the equation. All blacks are or do this or that. Oh...but then we can try to soften it by saying; "Many" blacks do this or that. Same goes for Hispanics, Jews, Asians ...anybody else you can come with. We can then suggest that "many" of group A, B, or C have this trait or this flaw which is inherent to the race, and if they would just act more like....ME :2wave:, everything would be great. Which of course is another example of a value judgment which you can never demonstrate as true.

Yes, you continue to ignore he is not talking about Hispanics, Latinos, or even all illegal immigrants. He's talking about some illegal immigrants. Which clearly contradicts your claims about him generalizing hispanics or mexicans

Except from his words, as generally stupid as they are, it's obvious he isn't talking about "mexicans", but *some* illegal aliens

<<<there are kids brought into this country by their parents. Unknowing that they were breaking the law. And they will say to me and others, who defend the rule of law, "we have to do something about the 11 million,***and some of them are valedictorians***". Well, my answer to that is -by the way, their parents brought them in, it wasn't their fault- ***it's true in some cases*** but they are not all valedictorians, they were not all brought in by their parents. For everyone that is a valedictorian, there are another hundred out there that weigh 130 lbs and they got calves the size of cantaloupes because their hauling 75 lbs of marijuana across the border>>>

from the segment you posted and that I have quoted for you numerous times already: In reference to illegal aliens "and some of them are valedictorians"

Doesn't follow from what you originally quoted. Basic red herring

Yes, you continue to ignore he is not talking about Hispanics, Latinos, or even all illegal immigrants. He's talking about some illegal immigrants. Which clearly contradicts your claims about him generalizing hispanics or mexicans

So...some illegal immigrants weigh 130 pounds and have calves the size of cantaloupes?? :roll:Then all we have to do is look for those that fit the stereotype. Can we ignore the rest?? Unfortunately Mr. King has presented a stereotype, and you're the one left to try and defend it when even other Republicans are running away from him. Maybe they just get it, and you don't. I did ask you before if you thought that you were infallibly correct. You claimed that was a personal attack, without ever showing anybody why that would be the case.

Indeed it is

Because you're suggesting I view myself as infallible and that my logic is colored by this assumption

I already know you aren't. My question was whether you thought you were. If both of us already this, then you must admit you could be mistaken on this. Has it occurred to you that if Latino's get it, and blacks get it, and even John Boehner and Cantor get it...maybe the problem is with you.

I haven't ignored what he said. What I have done is tell you under no uncertain terms that his description of what these people look like undermines anything that he may have said, and illustrates his overt racism. Most people understand this. Even John Boehner gets it. The Hispanic population certainly understands it. Maybe you can try to convince them that King isn't a racist. Then again maybe their votes don't matter to conservatives. They're losing the Hispanic vote entirely. Personally I don't really care if the Republican party continues to dig its own grave with the racist commentary. Those that try to defend him get tarred as defenders of racism.

So...some illegal immigrants weigh 130 pounds and have calves the size of cantaloupes?? :roll:Then all we have to do is look for those that fit the stereotype.

Just responding back here to point out how pointlessly tedious dealing with you is-

From the VERY TEXT THAT YOU QUOTE ABOVE:"Except from his words, ***as generally stupid as they are***, it's obvious he isn't talking about "mexicans", but *some* illegal aliens"

his comment being stupid isn't the same as being racist. Stereotyping some illegal immigrants as drug smugglers with overly developed legs from hiking the border may be really, really stupid, but it is not talking about a group defined along race or ethnicity

It's like saying "nerdy kids never get layed". Though it's a dumb stereotype, it is not dependent on race.

lol, I literally just explained it to you: pointing to trends with in a group, even a group defined along racial lines, does not posit that those trends are derived from something inherent and dependent on race.

Again, clearly poverty is rife in the African American community. But pointing this out does not presuppose that it is due to some inherent racial flaw (caused due to some inherent defect with "blackness"). Such could be *caused* by many things that have no dependency on race, from govt policy that either directly or indirectly affects that racial group to cultural behaviors and ideals developed over time.

It's a rather simple point that I am honestly amazed that you find so confounding

Of course they do. Your explanation fell flat. How can you point to trends within a racial group and then claim that those trends have nothing to do with the racial group you use to draw your example? You haven't explained this. Probably because you can't.

Again, clearly poverty is rife in the African American community. But pointing this out does not presuppose that it is due to some inherent racial flaw (caused due to some inherent defect with "blackness").

Ok. This is a racial group that has endured the effects of racism throughout the history of this country. This nation was created as a White Male Supremacist society. It's embedded into our constitution. We had slavery in this country. That's a fact. We fought a Civil War over slavery. That's another fact. We had Jim Crow after that. It's a fact. We saw lynchings of blacks. That's a fact. We saw signs that stated White Only that's a fact. We saw segregation. Another Fact. It was so bad, we had to create a Civil Rights Act and a Voting Rights Act, which would NEVER have been necessary if racism wasn't rampant in the country. And so you want to tell me that at some point, it all disappeared? That it no longer exists?? That discrimination is gone? Knowing that this has been a part of life in America from it's founding and is seen today with attacks on this President and his family, and you have to ask where poverty comes from? I'm well aware of Conservatism and its effects on race.

Situationally, conservatism is defined as the ideology arising out of a distinct but recurring type of historical situation in which a fundamental challenge is directed at established institutions and in which the supporters of those institutions employ the conservative ideology in their defense. Thus, conservatism is that system of ideas employed to justify any established social order, no matter where or when it exists, against any fundamental challenge to its nature or being, no matter from what quarter. Conservatism in this sense is possible in the United States today only if there is a basic challenge to existing American institutions which impels their defenders to articulate conservative values.

The Civil Rights movement was a direct challenge to the existing institutions of the time, and conservatism as an ideology is thus a reaction to a system under challenge, a defense of the status – quo in a period of intense ideological and social conflict.

The very notion of a race of people that was; at our beginnings as a country, only considered to be 3/5’s of a human being, now having equal footing with those that actually believed in this idea, is a direct challenge to a long held social concept. It denied the idea of white supremacy as legitimate. It’s surprising how many people still cling to this idea, and will go to extreme lengths to perpetuate it.

The idea that a person that could have been your slave at one time, could today be your boss, or even President of the United States, is more than some people can deal with on an emotional level. White supremacy as an institution is renounced, discredited, and dismantled, and that is a major blow to an existing order, and conservatism is always a reaction to a challenge to an existing order. These are people that desperately need somebody to look down to in order to validate their own self-worth. “Sure, life is tough. But at least I’m White.” They can no longer rely on a policy that used to be institutionally enforceable. When that is removed by law, hostility is the result; hostility for those that have been emancipated by law and elevated to equal status, and hostility for the law itself including those that proposed it and passed it.

Thus, hatred for African-Americans and for the Liberal’s and liberal policies that endorse their equal status is fully embraced by the conservative.

Just responding back here to point out how pointlessly tedious dealing with you is-

From the VERY TEXT THAT YOU QUOTE ABOVE:"Except from his words, ***as generally stupid as they are***, it's obvious he isn't talking about "mexicans", but *some* illegal aliens"

his comment being stupid isn't the same as being racist. Stereotyping some illegal immigrants as drug smugglers with overly developed legs from hiking the border may be really, really stupid, but it is not talking about a group defined along race or ethnicity

It's like saying "nerdy kids never get layed". Though it's a dumb stereotype, it is not dependent on race.

it's obvious he isn't talking about "mexicans", but *some* illegal aliens"

And you believe this after everything he's said regarding Mexicans, comparing them to dogs and animals, showing every his idea of a fence on the border of...guess where? Mexico.:doh, and after the entire gist of his argument was concerning the "Dreamers" who just happen to be Mexicans that were brought here by their parents when they were young. So you actually think that he's not talking about Mexicans...but rather illegal aliens?? Really?? Illegal aliens from ...Mexico who all weigh 130 pounds with calves the size of cantaloupes.

It's both stupid and racist, and those two things have a tendency to go hand in hand. I've never seen a racist that wasn't also really stupid. He is talking about physical characteristics of Mexicans coming over the border who weigh 130 pounds with calves the size of cantaloupes from lugging 70 pounds of pot across the border. He's absolutely talking about Mexicans here. He's presenting a stereotypical portrait of the illegal Mexican Drug Mule.

No. That's a bad analogy. That's along the lines of saying all blonds are dumb. That's a far cry from saying that all blacks are lazy, or play basketball, or all Mexican drug mules are 130 pounds with huge calves. We don't hold nerdiness as anything beyond a choice of behavior that they have complete control over, as well as hair color. But to place a characteristic behavior pattern to any race is Crap.

I'm honestly not sure how many times I can explain the same thing to you, so at this point I'll just leave the discussion be

You can explain a hundred times if you like, but it's not going to change the flaw in your explanation. Rather than labeling something as Truth, it would be good to know the difference between truth and a value judgment. That's clearly a problem both of you have. Recognizing what a value judgment is, would be helpful.

it's obvious he isn't talking about "mexicans", but *some* illegal aliens"

NO. As a matter of fact, it's obvious that he IS talking about Mexicans coming across the southern border with 70pounds of Pot. What you seem to find tedious is that his racist BS is being pointed out.

Stereotyping some illegal immigrants as drug smugglers with overly developed legs from hiking the border may be really, really stupid, but it is not talking about a group defined along race or ethnicity

:shock: Of course he is. It appears that the entire population knows and completely understands that King has a problem with Mexicans and Hispanics in general. The only person that doesn't seem to "get it" is YOU. Most definitely the people that are tuned into Univision, and Telemundo understand this. You seem to be the only King apologist around. Even Boehner and Cantor get it.

NO. As a matter of fact, it's obvious that he IS talking about Mexicans coming across the southern border with 70pounds of Pot. What you seem to find tedious is that his racist BS is being pointed out.

:shock: Of course he is. It appears that the entire population knows and completely understands that King has a problem with Mexicans and Hispanics in general. The only person that doesn't seem to "get it" is YOU. Most definitely the people that are tuned into Univision, and Telemundo understand this. You seem to be the only King apologist around. Even Boehner and Cantor get it.

well, we have his actual words and what you claim he said. And it's rather difficult to discount video evidence of what he said, even when you are so adament that he said something else.

don't know what to tell you, besides keep believing

And you believe this after everything he's said regarding Mexicans, comparing them to dogs and animals, showing every his idea of a fence on the border of...guess where? Mexico.:doh, and after the entire gist of his argument was concerning the "Dreamers" who just happen to be Mexicans that were brought here by their parents when they were young. So you actually think that he's not talking about Mexicans...but rather illegal aliens?? Really?? Illegal aliens from ...Mexico who all weigh 130 pounds with calves the size of cantaloupes.

It's both stupid and racist, and those two things have a tendency to go hand in hand. I've never seen a racist that wasn't also really stupid. He is talking about physical characteristics of Mexicans coming over the border who weigh 130 pounds with calves the size of cantaloupes from lugging 70 pounds of pot across the border. He's absolutely talking about Mexicans here. He's presenting a stereotypical portrait of the illegal Mexican Drug Mule.

No. That's a bad analogy. That's along the lines of saying all blonds are dumb. That's a far cry from saying that all blacks are lazy, or play basketball, or all Mexican drug mules are 130 pounds with huge calves. We don't hold nerdiness as anything beyond a choice of behavior that they have complete control over, as well as hair color. But to place a characteristic behavior pattern to any race is Crap.

Why is it conservatives are constantly defending racism by denying it? They act like their is no racism because they engage in it all the time. They also accuse the left of class warfare whwen they engage in it all the time with their downright hatred of the poor. They try to deny that but they prove otherwise when they attack foodstamps and unemployment benifits. The fact is conservatives hate everybody except big business,rich people and rednecks who vote for them blindly when the dem's would benifit them more.

well, we have his actual words and what you claim he said. And it's rather difficult to discount video evidence of what he said, even when you are so adament that he said something else.

don't know what to tell you, besides keep believing

Please stop defending racism. You know as well as I do the far right engages in it all the time. You never hear about white immagrants do you? They are racist and accuse the left of class warfare when they engage in it all the time when they attack foodstamps and unemployment benifits. What a nasty selfish bunch. I would be ashamed to be a part od such a bunch of tightwads and nasty right wing freaks.

Back
Top Bottom