• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stephen A. Smith: 'What I dream is that for one election ... every black person in Am

Re: Stephen A. Smith: 'What I dream is that for one election ... every black person i

Why??

Re: Stephen A. Smith: 'What I dream is that for one election ... every black person i

Stephen A. Smith should stick to embarrassing himself on sports issues. He and his asshole companion Skip Clueless are quite the pair of hubacious pieholed ass whipes.

Because then yah know, Republicans will destroy welfare and blacks will magically become prosperous... I'm intentionally being over the top..

But do you never notice that, blacks get forced into the conversation whether they have something to do with it or not...

It's like

"So you support a social safety net for the nations neediest huh?"

"Well yeah"

"you racist, blacks can make it on their own you know"

"well no, I support a social safety net for everyone, not just blacks and whites are the ones that use it the most anyway and I didn't even talk about blacks to begin with"

"Yeah well if blacks stopped voting for you they'd be alot better off cause you've tricked them into just wanting handouts".

The whole thing is ****ed because Republicans seriously think that the above is how they'll court the black vote.

Delete

Because then yah know, Republicans will destroy welfare and blacks will magically become prosperous... I'm intentionally being over the top..

But do you never notice that, blacks get forced into the conversation whether they have something to do with it or not...

It's like

"Well yeah"

"well no, I support a social safety net for everyone, not just blacks and whites are the ones that use it the most anyway and I didn't even talk about blacks to begin with"

"Yeah well if blacks stopped voting for you they'd be alot better off cause you've tricked them into just wanting handouts".

The whole thing is ****ed because Republicans seriously think that the above is how they'll court the black vote.

Republicans dont court the black vote. They dont bother...and why should they? Blacks voted as a bloc (97%) for the guy that held office for 4 years while every misery index indicator in the black community INCREASED. History has told the GOP there is no need or value to court the black vote.

Just remember Navy, this is the same gent that accused Coach Kelly of being a bit of a racist for trading some black players. I really don't think you'll find an ally in him. He's just a blowhard who likes being Mr. Dramatic at any given moment.

Why?

Let Malcolm tell you why...

I have never seen a speech used in such a misconstrued way..
"I say again, I'm not anti-Democrat, I'm not anti-Republican, I'm not anti-anything. I'm just questioning their sincerity, and some of the strategy that they've been using on our people by promising them promises that they don't intend to keep. When you keep the Democrats in power, you're keeping the Dixiecrats in power. I doubt that my good Brother Lomax will deny that. A vote for a Democrat is a vote for a Dixiecrat. That's why, in 1964, it's time now for you and me to become more politically mature and realize what the ballot is for; what we're supposed to get when we cast a ballot; and that if we don't cast a ballot, it's going to end up in a situation where we're going to have to cast a bullet. It's either a ballot or a bullet.
In the North, they do it a different way. They have a system that's known as gerrymandering, whatever that means. It means when Negroes become too heavily concentrated in a certain area, and begin to gain too much political power, the white man comes along and changes the district lines. You may say, "Why do you keep saying white man?" Because it's the white man who does it. I haven't ever seen any Negro changing any lines. They don't let him get near the line. It's the white man who does this. And usually, it's the white man who grins at you the most, and pats you on the back, and is supposed to be your friend. He may be friendly, but he's not your friend.
The black nationalists, those whose philosophy is black nationalism, in bringing about this new interpretation of the entire meaning of civil rights, look upon it as meaning, as Brother Lomax has pointed out, equality of opportunity. Well, we're justified in seeking civil rights, if it means equality of opportunity, because all we're doing there is trying to collect for our investment. Our mothers and fathers invested sweat and blood. Three hundred and ten years we worked in this country without a dime in return -- I mean without a dime in return. You let the white man walk around here talking about how rich this country is, but you never stop to think how it got rich so quick. It got rich because you made it rich.
Any time you demonstrate against segregation and a man has the audacity to put a police dog on you, kill that dog, kill him, I'm telling you, kill that dog. I say it, if they put me in jail tomorrow, kill that dog. Then you'll put a stop to it. Now, if these white people in here don't want to see that kind of action, get down and tell the mayor to tell the police department to pull the dogs in. That's all you have to do. If you don't do it, someone else will."

Soo you advocating a violent black nationalist party?

I have never seen a speech used in such a misconstrued way..
"I say again, I'm not anti-Democrat, I'm not anti-Republican, I'm not anti-anything. I'm just questioning their sincerity, and some of the strategy that they've been using on our people by promising them promises that they don't intend to keep. When you keep the Democrats in power, you're keeping the Dixiecrats in power. I doubt that my good Brother Lomax will deny that. A vote for a Democrat is a vote for a Dixiecrat. That's why, in 1964, it's time now for you and me to become more politically mature and realize what the ballot is for; what we're supposed to get when we cast a ballot; and that if we don't cast a ballot, it's going to end up in a situation where we're going to have to cast a bullet. It's either a ballot or a bullet.
In the North, they do it a different way. They have a system that's known as gerrymandering, whatever that means. It means when Negroes become too heavily concentrated in a certain area, and begin to gain too much political power, the white man comes along and changes the district lines. You may say, "Why do you keep saying white man?" Because it's the white man who does it. I haven't ever seen any Negro changing any lines. They don't let him get near the line. It's the white man who does this. And usually, it's the white man who grins at you the most, and pats you on the back, and is supposed to be your friend. He may be friendly, but he's not your friend.
The black nationalists, those whose philosophy is black nationalism, in bringing about this new interpretation of the entire meaning of civil rights, look upon it as meaning, as Brother Lomax has pointed out, equality of opportunity. Well, we're justified in seeking civil rights, if it means equality of opportunity, because all we're doing there is trying to collect for our investment. Our mothers and fathers invested sweat and blood. Three hundred and ten years we worked in this country without a dime in return -- I mean without a dime in return. You let the white man walk around here talking about how rich this country is, but you never stop to think how it got rich so quick. It got rich because you made it rich.
Any time you demonstrate against segregation and a man has the audacity to put a police dog on you, kill that dog, kill him, I'm telling you, kill that dog. I say it, if they put me in jail tomorrow, kill that dog. Then you'll put a stop to it. Now, if these white people in here don't want to see that kind of action, get down and tell the mayor to tell the police department to pull the dogs in. That's all you have to do. If you don't do it, someone else will."

Soo you advocating a violent black nationalist party?
Id advocate any party other than the two primary parties. However Malcolms comments are as relevant today as they were 50 years ago. Blacks voted as a bloc then and now. To what end? Stephen A Smiths points were the same. Not at all shocked that you refuse to see it.

Id advocate any party other than the two primary parties. However Malcolms comments are as relevant today as they were 50 years ago. Blacks voted as a bloc then and now. To what end? Stephen A Smiths points were the same. Not at all shocked that you refuse to see it.

1.)That still doesnt mean you used a speech as some sort of justification for incomparable circumstances. Malcolms point was this: You still dont have the right to vote because you are still being denied that right in much of the south, and two both parties are racist. Either you actually give us (black men) the right to vote, and what we demand (reparations for slavery, etc), or we will take up arms.
2.)You ask "to what end"? Well we are essentially an engraved two party system, and its really quite simple: "And, while Smith is clearly suggesting something -- all African Americans vote for the 2016 GOP nominee -- that he knows won't happen, the broader problem his comment exposes is this: Black voters, over the course of the past few decades, have become more and more convinced that the Republican Party is not concerned about their views and, in some cases, is actively working against the community's best interests... What Smith fails to realize is that votes for president are rarely symbolic. People vote for the candidate or the party they believe will look out for them and make it most possible for them to succeed. Black voters don't believe the GOP is that for them, and one election -- no matter who Republicans nominate -- won't change that. What's needed is a long-term commitment to small electoral growth based on policies that appeal to black voters and that begin to change perceptions of what it means to be a Republican." Stephen A. Smith wants all black people to vote Republican in 2016. Um, okay. - The Washington Post

1.)That still doesnt mean you used a speech as some sort of justification for incomparable circumstances. Malcolms point was this: You still dont have the right to vote because you are still being denied that right in much of the south, and two both parties are racist. Either you actually give us (black men) the right to vote, and what we demand (reparations for slavery, etc), or we will take up arms.
2.)You ask "to what end"? Well we are essentially an engraved two party system, and its really quite simple: "And, while Smith is clearly suggesting something -- all African Americans vote for the 2016 GOP nominee -- that he knows won't happen, the broader problem his comment exposes is this: Black voters, over the course of the past few decades, have become more and more convinced that the Republican Party is not concerned about their views and, in some cases, is actively working against the community's best interests... What Smith fails to realize is that votes for president are rarely symbolic. People vote for the candidate or the party they believe will look out for them and make it most possible for them to succeed. Black voters don't believe the GOP is that for them, and one election -- no matter who Republicans nominate -- won't change that. What's needed is a long-term commitment to small electoral growth based on policies that appeal to black voters and that begin to change perceptions of what it means to be a Republican." Stephen A. Smith wants all black people to vote Republican in 2016. Um, okay. - The Washington Post

He only quotes Malcolm X when he feels the need to make some non point about race. Does he actually know anything about the man's politics? Well, you're showing he doesn't. :lol:

This thread is yet more proof that people DON'T READ THE ARTICLE.

The point that Smith was making is that Republicans make no effort to address the issues that face black Americans (I assume he's talking about the issues that face predominately black communities?) because they know that black people don't vote for Republicans. If every black person voted for Republicans, they'd start paying attention to the issues that face black communities.

It's a completely theoretical point and it makes both perfect sense and no sense at all. It certainly doesn't mean what the OP thought it meant when he posted it without reading the article first.

Both of their points is that black voters blindly and foolishly throw in with democrats and have for 50 years and the democrats have ****ed them over on a promise that someday they will give em a reach around.

All you have to do is look at the state of the black community in every major city across the country and see the results.

He only quotes Malcolm X when he feels the need to make some non point about race. Does he actually know anything about the man's politics? Well, you're showing he doesn't. :lol:

I'd bet I have read more about his life and works than you have. He didnt settle for being a token. Mind you...it didnt work out so well for him.

His words indict the blind allegiance blacks in this country have given the democrats. Their state testifies as to the truthfulness of his words.

But keep right on steppin.

The point that Smith was making is that Republicans make no effort to address the issues that face black Americans (I assume he's talking about the issues that face predominately black communities?) because they know that black people don't vote for Republicans. If every black person voted for Republicans, they'd start paying attention to the issues that face black communities.

It's a completely theoretical point and it makes both perfect sense and no sense at all. It certainly doesn't mean what the OP thought it meant when he posted it without reading the article first.

Blacks have voted en masse for democrats for decades. There is no value in the GOP investing in efforts to win their vote. There wont be as long as there is blind allegiance. On the plus side...there are a whole lot of streets across the country named after MLK as a reward for their faithful support. They arent hard to find. They are usually the blvd with the highest crime rate in the city. So...well played.

Anytime you throw your weight behind a political party that controls two-thirds of the government, and that Party can’t keep the promise that it made to you during election time, and you’re dumb enough to walk around continuing to identify yourself with that Party, you’re not only a chump, but you’re a traitor to your race.
They try and pass the buck to the Dixiecrats. Now back during the days when you were blind, deaf, and dumb, ignorant, politically immature, naturally you went along with that. But today as your eyes come open, and you develop political maturity, you’re able to see and think for yourself, and you can see that a Dixiecrat is nothing but a Democrat in disguise.
They’ve been down there four years, and they’re — all other legislation they wanted to bring up they brought it up and gotten it out of the way, and now they bring up you. And now, they bring up you. You put them first, and they put you last, ’cause you’re a chump, a political chump.

But yeah...its not too hard to see why you want to make it be about me.

Incarceration rates. Murder rates. Violent crime rates in general. Poverty rates. Unemployment rates. Literacy rates. Graduation rates. Teen pregnancy.

Vote democrat.

You MIGHT want to actually listen to what he said. It will your comments about republicans, republicans, republicans look foolish.
ESPN's Stephen A. Smith Wishes 'Every Black Person in America' Votes Republican for One Election | CNS News

stephen a stupid conflates "lack of concern with voters' interests" with "working against voters' interests"

Both of their points is that black voters blindly and foolishly throw in with democrats and have for 50 years and the democrats have ****ed them over on a promise that someday they will give em a reach around.
Malcolm's point was not that.... Must of missed the point where he states that they essentially dont have the right to vote, the point where he states both parties are racist, the point where he states forming a black nationalist militant party as an alternative. But hey, I'm guessing your overall point is that African Americans should vote republican?

All you have to do is look at the state of the black community in every major city across the country and see the results.
And you blame this on Democratic policies and if they voted republican it would be better? Is this your point?

well, as I read it, it would seem as though he talking about forcing a measure of competition between the parties by giving the GOP as taste of what it would be like to be supported by the black voters... and giving the Democratic party a taste of being without that which they take for granted.

as it is now, Democrats don't have to do anything that benefits blacks and they will get 95+% of he vote.... the GOP doesn't even care to chase after those voters because of their unwavering support of Democrats.
Blacks are basically paid lip service to by one party, forgotten about by the other..... he's just talking about shaking it up so both parties see the black vote as relevant.

personally, i'm opposed to such nincompoopery... identity politics, to me, is absolute bull****.
politics/policy is entirely about ideas.... race, sex, gender, color, creed, religion...it's all irrelevant to ideas.

It's like

"Well yeah"

I don't think that's how the dialog would go down... but good job showing your ignorance on the issue...

So this was just a long way to say "I didn't actually read the article and am just responding based on my prejudices and assumptions?"

Yes?

Because nothing you prattled on about had anything to do with answering a question of "why" Stephen A. Smith suggested he'd like for that to happen.

Nothing.

Strangely enough, Thrilla most accurately described the "Why"

well, as I read it, it would seem as though he talking about forcing a measure of competition between the parties by giving the GOP as taste of what it would be like to be supported by the black voters... and giving the Democratic party a taste of being without that which they take for granted.

as it is now, Democrats don't have to do anything that benefits blacks and they will get 95+% of he vote.... the GOP doesn't even care to chase after those voters because of their unwavering support of Democrats.

Blacks are basically paid lip service to by one party, forgotten about by the other..... he's just talking about shaking it up so both parties see the black vote as relevant.

That was clearly the answer to this question

He feels that Democrats just pander to blacks, rather than actually truly working for them, because they simply assume that the majority of black voters will vote for them regardless of actually doing anything.

He feels the Republicans largely ignore blacks, feeling as if it's a lost cause that they would not win over.

As such, he feels that blacks largely disenfranchise themselves by basically not actually exerting pressure for either party to truly actually cater to blacks. If the republicans suddenly won the vast majority of the black vote in an election he feels that would cause the dynamic to change, with Republicans feeling the benefit of the black vote and seeking to cater to them to keep them and Democrats feeling the harm of losing the black vote and actually seeking to cater, rather than pander, to them to win them back.

In a way it's similar to what was talked about in the 2008 Republican primaries with regards to Ron Paul, or unrest by some more libertarian minded tea partiers around 2010. The thought that there should be wide spread votes for someone other than the establishment guy, or to cast votes for the libertarian party instead, to teach the Republican Party a lesson that they can't just ASSUME that segment of the base would vote for their guy regardless of whether or not they ACTUALLY worked for that segments interests.

Back
Top Bottom