• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

States Defeat Bush in Clean Air Battle

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
A Federal court has overturned a clean air ruling by the Bush administration which would have prevented states from forcing power plants to clean up their emissions.

Bush has appointed a lot of strict constructionists to the Federal benches, and now he is getting what he is telling everyone he wanted - Judges who will strictly interpret the Constituton, thus giving power back to the states. Bush is in no position to complain. BTW - One area I thought Bush deserves good marks is his judicial appointments. This decision is proof of that. A+ for Bush appointing judges who will not allow him to break the Constitution. For Bush, beware of what you wish for. You just might get it. Time now to see how Conservative Bush really is. Will he accept the decision, based on Conservative ideology, or will he rant? :)

Article is here.
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,669
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
danarhea said:
A Federal court has overturned a clean air ruling by the Bush administration which would have prevented states from forcing power plants to clean up their emissions.

Bush has appointed a lot of strict constructionists to the Federal benches, and now he is getting what he is telling everyone he wanted - Judges who will strictly interpret the Constituton, thus giving power back to the states. Bush is in no position to complain. BTW - One area I thought Bush deserves good marks is his judicial appointments. This decision is proof of that. A+ for Bush appointing judges who will not allow him to break the Constitution. For Bush, beware of what you wish for. You just might get it. Time now to see how Conservative Bush really is. Will he accept the decision, based on Conservative ideology, or will he rant? :)

Article is here.
Another one and done. Good to see you weren't banned, dana.
 

jfuh

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2005
Messages
16,631
Reaction score
1,227
Location
Pacific Rim
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
KCConservative said:
Another one and done. Good to see you weren't banned, dana.
This has what to do with the thread? More senseless rant KC?
 

jfuh

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2005
Messages
16,631
Reaction score
1,227
Location
Pacific Rim
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
danarhea said:
A Federal court has overturned a clean air ruling by the Bush administration which would have prevented states from forcing power plants to clean up their emissions.

Bush has appointed a lot of strict constructionists to the Federal benches, and now he is getting what he is telling everyone he wanted - Judges who will strictly interpret the Constituton, thus giving power back to the states. Bush is in no position to complain. BTW - One area I thought Bush deserves good marks is his judicial appointments. This decision is proof of that. A+ for Bush appointing judges who will not allow him to break the Constitution. For Bush, beware of what you wish for. You just might get it. Time now to see how Conservative Bush really is. Will he accept the decision, based on Conservative ideology, or will he rant? :)

Article is here.
Well looks like it turned around to bite him in his a$$. I think it's more than certain though that his possee is going to come back and argue about it. Maybe to go as far as insisting that the judicial branch has "no authority over the matter as this is now classified as a matter of national security", according to the fact we're now at war there is no governing of the executive branch due to the special war time powers granted by congress. Or some other bs like that.
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
KCConservative said:
Another one and done. Good to see you weren't banned, dana.
Moderator's Warning:
I don't think that the fact that nobody replied in the 7 minutes after the post was created is necessarily an indication that the thread isn't worth discussing. Furthermore, please refrain from simply comming on posts with this type of material. If you have a thought pertaining to the material at hand, post it, but otherwise why waste your time and ours just sniping at people?
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,669
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
RightatNYU said:
Moderator's Warning:
I don't think that the fact that nobody replied in the 7 minutes after the post was created is necessarily an indication that the thread isn't worth discussing. Furthermore, please refrain from simply comming on posts with this type of material. If you have a thought pertaining to the material at hand, post it, but otherwise why waste your time and ours just sniping at people?
I wanted him to know I was happy he wasn't banned.
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
KCConservative said:
I wanted him to know I was happy he wasn't banned.
Thats BS KC, and everyone here knows it. You have been constantly sniping at me like this for more than 2 weeks. If you dont have something constructive to say, one way or the other, then stay out of the thread.
 

jfuh

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2005
Messages
16,631
Reaction score
1,227
Location
Pacific Rim
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
danarhea said:
Thats BS KC, and everyone here knows it. You have been constantly sniping at me like this for more than 2 weeks. If you dont have something constructive to say, one way or the other, then stay out of the thread.
KC is sniping at everyone he doesn't agree with for the sole purpose of ******* them off or trying to derail a thread he doesn't like. In essense being a total jerk.
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,669
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
jfuh said:
KC is sniping at everyone he doesn't agree with for the sole purpose of ******* them off or trying to derail a thread he doesn't like. In essense being a total jerk.
Hey dana, now this is an example of off-topic.
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
KCConservative said:
Hey dana, now this is an example of off-topic.
I am not going to go down that road of "he said, she said" and end up derailing the discussion on this issue.

So what do you think of Bush's Supreme Court Justices? Did they rule on the issue correctly? Were the states right to pass laws forcing power companies to clean up after themselves? Is this just an issue of environmentalists, or does this affect everybody? There are a lot of aspects to this issue. Are you up to commenting on any of them?
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,669
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
danarhea said:
I am not going to go down that road of "he said, she said" and end up derailing the discussion on this issue.
But you already went down that road when you accused me of sniping at you. No one is sniping at you, dana. Relax, pal. I was happy to have a hand in keeping you from getting banned. You're welcome.
 

SouthernDemocrat

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
23,338
Reaction score
14,401
Location
KC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
danarhea said:
I am not going to go down that road of "he said, she said" and end up derailing the discussion on this issue.

So what do you think of Bush's Supreme Court Justices? Did they rule on the issue correctly? Were the states right to pass laws forcing power companies to clean up after themselves? Is this just an issue of environmentalists, or does this affect everybody? There are a lot of aspects to this issue. Are you up to commenting on any of them?
The social and religious conservatives want true activist judges. The problem is that there really is not that many nut jobs out there that are intellectually qualified for the federal bench. So, what they get instead are constructionist judges who simply rule on the law and as a result, even with the conservative judiciary we have today, as a rule, social conservatives always loose in the courts, and environmentalists and groups like the ACLU almost always win because the law is largely on the side of civil libertarians and conservationists.

Pro-exploitation politicians and anti-conservationist groups know they have little support among the mainstream public for their positions on environmental issues. So instead of trying to legislate anti-conservationist laws, they try to leave it up to the courts to legislate for them. Unfortunately for them, yet fortunately for the rest of us. Most true conservative and moderate judges out of principle and respect for the rule of constitutional law, refrain from doing so.
 

jfuh

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2005
Messages
16,631
Reaction score
1,227
Location
Pacific Rim
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
SouthernDemocrat said:
The social and religious conservatives want true activist judges. The problem is that there really is not that many nut jobs out there that are intellectually qualified for the federal bench. So, what they get instead are constructionist judges who simply rule on the law and as a result, even with the conservative judiciary we have today, as a rule, social conservatives always loose in the courts, and environmentalists and groups like the ACLU almost always win because the law is largely on the side of civil libertarians and conservationists.

Pro-exploitation politicians and anti-conservationist groups know they have little support among the mainstream public for their positions on environmental issues. So instead of trying to legislate anti-conservationist laws, they try to leave it up to the courts to legislate for them. Unfortunately for them, yet fortunately for the rest of us. Most true conservative and moderate judges out of principle and respect for the rule of constitutional law, refrain from doing so.
It is also traditional for conservatives to be conserving of the environment.
However anti-environmental parties are only looking to drag the time line. While the case is in court these companies can continue to go about their daily routine and collecting thier large profit margins and intrest investments. By the time the ruling is finally set down thier profits offset the fines to make any impact on thier companies.
Since this congress is in the pocket of these companies, it's unlikly that any legislation will come out anytime soon either.
I'd rather we had someone like Nixon back in office, he at least worked hard and was quite honest about being dishonest.
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
jfuh said:
It is also traditional for conservatives to be conserving of the environment.
However anti-environmental parties are only looking to drag the time line. While the case is in court these companies can continue to go about their daily routine and collecting thier large profit margins and intrest investments. By the time the ruling is finally set down thier profits offset the fines to make any impact on thier companies.
Since this congress is in the pocket of these companies, it's unlikly that any legislation will come out anytime soon either.
I'd rather we had someone like Nixon back in office, he at least worked hard and was quite honest about being dishonest.
It was Nixon who created the EPA. Nixon wasnt all that bad. He did a lot of good things, but people will remember him for being a crook. That is unfortunate because, aside from Watergate, Nixon was actually one of our better presidents.
 

jfuh

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2005
Messages
16,631
Reaction score
1,227
Location
Pacific Rim
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
danarhea said:
It was Nixon who created the EPA. Nixon wasnt all that bad. He did a lot of good things, but people will remember him for being a crook. That is unfortunate because, aside from Watergate, Nixon was actually one of our better presidents.
I know, Nixon did a lot of things, a real work horse. Not like these current guys, all talk no actions. Rather no good actions.
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
danarhea said:
It was Nixon who created the EPA. Nixon wasnt all that bad. He did a lot of good things, but people will remember him for being a crook. That is unfortunate because, aside from Watergate, Nixon was actually one of our better presidents.
So true.

If you ask people who weren't alive for Nixon what their impression of him is, most will say that everyone hated him. The man was elected to VP/Pres four times, first at the age of THIRTYNINE. He got 60% of the pop vote and took 49 states. Craziness.
 

SouthernDemocrat

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
23,338
Reaction score
14,401
Location
KC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
danarhea said:
It was Nixon who created the EPA. Nixon wasnt all that bad. He did a lot of good things, but people will remember him for being a crook. That is unfortunate because, aside from Watergate, Nixon was actually one of our better presidents.
I will certainly agree with that. Of course, the same could be said for Johnson. If it were not for Vietnam, he probably would have went down as one our greatest presidents. The thing is though, today, Nixon would be one of the most liberal Republicans in the party.
 

jfuh

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2005
Messages
16,631
Reaction score
1,227
Location
Pacific Rim
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
SouthernDemocrat said:
I will certainly agree with that. Of course, the same could be said for Johnson. If it were not for Vietnam, he probably would have went down as one our greatest presidents. The thing is though, today, Nixon would be one of the most liberal Republicans in the party.
By today's standards Nixon was a total liberal, woman's rights, environment, civil rights. Hell he makes many democrats look conservative.
IMO Nixon was a genius except for that water gate thing.
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
This is a fantastic decision! I am a little shocked that Janice Rogers Brown supported the decision. Anyway, this is a true victory for states. The Bush Administration has been attempting to dismantle the Clean Air Act since he came into office. This is a slap in their face, and I am celebrating this. My husband does environmental enforcement for the Dept. of Justice, and this decision directly impacts a case that is in Ohio where the federal government and the states have sued a bunch of coal-fired power plants.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :beer: :2dancing:
 

steen

Lie Detector
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
4,081
Reaction score
0
Location
Upper Midwest
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
SouthernDemocrat said:
I will certainly agree with that. Of course, the same could be said for Johnson. If it were not for Vietnam, he probably would have went down as one our greatest presidents. The thing is though, today, Nixon would be one of the most liberal Republicans in the party.
Today, Nixon wouldn't stand a chance. The neocons would swiftboat him with lies and get rid of him for not being an extremist fanatic.

That is one reason why I can't support republicans, they have gone off into fascism.
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
steen said:
Today, Nixon wouldn't stand a chance. The neocons would swiftboat him with lies and get rid of him for not being an extremist fanatic.

That is one reason why I can't support republicans, they have gone off into fascism.
Or to be more precise, a bastardized form of Communism.
 
H

hipsterdufus

steen said:
Today, Nixon wouldn't stand a chance. The neocons would swiftboat him with lies and get rid of him for not being an extremist fanatic.

That is one reason why I can't support republicans, they have gone off into fascism.
By today's standards Nixon would be a "moonbat tree hugging liberal"
My guess is that he would be a Dem.
 

jfuh

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2005
Messages
16,631
Reaction score
1,227
Location
Pacific Rim
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
aps said:
This is a fantastic decision! I am a little shocked that Janice Rogers Brown supported the decision. Anyway, this is a true victory for states. The Bush Administration has been attempting to dismantle the Clean Air Act since he came into office. This is a slap in their face, and I am celebrating this. My husband does environmental enforcement for the Dept. of Justice, and this decision directly impacts a case that is in Ohio where the federal government and the states have sued a bunch of coal-fired power plants.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :beer: :2dancing:
Nice, very very nice.
 

jfuh

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2005
Messages
16,631
Reaction score
1,227
Location
Pacific Rim
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
hipsterdufus said:
By today's standards Nixon would be a "moonbat tree hugging liberal"
My guess is that he would be a Dem.
I can't entirely agree with this. The dems IMO are just as pathetic. Think about it. Dukakas Vs Bush the threw out the women's league in the debates. I think Nixon may run as an independent. Neither side would've ever supported him - too far left they would say. I mean god forbid, he supported abortions for women, and supported advance of science, protection of the environment (almost vigurously) as well as peaceful negotiations with the enemy. First US president to visit Beijing, and first US president to start the dethaw of the cold war with his visit to Moscow.
Speaking of which, wow, can you imagine for a moment, I know this is off topic, but think, if Bush and his hawks were in charge during Nixxon's time. Nuclear holocoust would be almost inevitable. Energy crisis? Screw you OPEC, I'll invade all of you :shock:
 
Top Bottom