• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Spurred By The Capitol Riot, Thousands Of Republicans Drop Out Of GOP

Ikari

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left

In the week from Jan. 6 through Jan. 12, about 4,600 Republicans changed their party status in Colorado, according to a CPR News analysis. There was no comparable effect with any other party. CPR News was able to contact dozens of them by tracking changes in the state's voter file.

The number of people changing parties spiked immediately after the Capitol breach. The same phenomenon is playing out nationwide. News outlets documented about 6,000 defections from the party in North Carolina, 10,000 in Pennsylvania and 5,000 in Arizona.

In Colorado, only a small fraction of the defectors made the same dramatic leap as Darrah did in choosing to join the Democratic Party. Some went to conservative third parties. But the vast majority — about 4,200 people — switched from Republican to unaffiliated status, accelerating a trend that has affected both parties in Colorado in recent years.

Colorado once again leading the way in reason and logic. Republicans jumping ship because of the mess Trump and his Cult put them into. I guess the LP isn't the crazy party any more, lol.

When you convince people the election was stolen, they aren't going to vote in the future. Why waste your time if the powers that be are just going to do what they want? Or so they believe.

And now you have real life republicans leaving the GOP because the GOP appears crazy.

Looks like democrats are going to win a lot more.

When you convince people the election was stolen, they aren't going to vote in the future. Why waste your time if the powers that be are just going to do what they want? Or so they believe.

And now you have real life republicans leaving the GOP because the GOP appears crazy.

OR the Republicans will invite more crazies to vote for them 😁

Democrats and independents had better show up in 2022 and not just count on Tweety McCan'tTweetAnymore's fans to quit the party. If they don't, we'll be seeing Moscow McTurtle's return to power.

Yeah, they do need to be careful not to split their base. But you can't just coddle the ignorant Cultists because they're fundamentally a danger as they demonstrated in January. The real Republicans are having a hard row right now because Trump and the Cult drove the GOP away on a Crazy Train and they just want to get back on the right tracks.

The modern GOP being crazy doesn't make the LP any less crazy. The best thing anyone can say about an LP candidate is that they wouldn't actually get their platform passed if they won election.

🤷

Democrats and independents had better show up in 2022 and not just count on Tweety McCan'tTweetAnymore's fans to quit the party. If they don't, we'll be seeing Moscow McTurtle's return to power.
Sage advice, Helix.

The modern GOP being crazy doesn't make the LP any less crazy. The best thing anyone can say about an LP candidate is that they wouldn't actually get their platform passed if they won election.

🤷
Everything is relative. And I'd still have taken Gary Johnson over Hillary or Trump.

Colorado once again leading the way in reason and logic. Republicans jumping ship because of the mess Trump and his Cult put them into. I guess the LP isn't the crazy party any more, lol.
Thank you Margorie Taylor Greene!

I can see why Speaker Pelosi isn't moving to have Greene expelled from the House: she's way too valuable to the Democrats.

Add this trend to national demographic trends and the GOP's only hope is gerrymandering and suppressing the vote. Or, I guess, they could go back to their old tactics of supporting rational policies of helping business and economic growth--nah, race-baiting and terrifying the elderly with lies is just too much fun.

The REAL #WalkAway Movement

while 4600 is not nothing, it is small in comparison to the numbers of republicans who have not. Let's see how the pick their leaders and vote in the future.

I'm surprised they didn't leave months earlier in response to Trumps pandemic genocide.

I'm surprised they didn't leave months earlier in response to Trumps pandemic genocide.
Yeah, there is a bit of "took you long enough". But at least some seem to draw the line at acts of seditious domestic terrorism.

What right-libertarian principles and policies does the world supposedly need?

What right-libertarian principles and policies does the world supposedly need?
Smaller, constrained, and accountable government.

I guess the LP isn't the crazy party any more, lol.

Hold my beer!

But seriously, this is a dumb story. 75 million people voted for Trump. These 4600 people probably voted for Trump and will vote for the next Republican. Every election the GOP is pronounced dead, then Trump gets elected, then Trump gets a record number of votes. This is just meaningless noise generated by the liberal confirmation bias media.

Hold my beer!

But seriously, this is a dumb story. 75 million people voted for Trump. These 4600 people probably voted for Trump and will vote for the next Republican. Every election the GOP is pronounced dead, then Trump gets elected, then Trump gets a record number of votes. This is just meaningless noise generated by the liberal confirmation bias media.
They may end up voting Republican next time, or they may join in voting for the LP, we need those votes more than the GOP anyway.

I think that there are more than enough within the Republican ranks who won't support a Trump again, and will instead stay home if people push a Trump candidate again. Hopefully a lesson has been learned as we stay away from Reality TV con men.

We've seen the same since 2016. Lots of Republicans that adhere to the collectivist, "big government" branch of the party headed off after the 2016 election. More left after this election. It happens.

Trump's election was the result of a split between those that believe in collective liberty and those that believe in individual liberty. The collectivists were bound to head away from the party that, historically, supported individual rights and individual liberty. I'm sure they'll make fine Democrats.

They killed a cop while attacking our capital.

If they stay in the Republican party then we know exactly who they are.

They may end up voting Republican next time, or they may join in voting for the LP, we need those votes more than the GOP anyway.

I think that there are more than enough within the Republican ranks who won't support a Trump again, and will instead stay home if people push a Trump candidate again. Hopefully a lesson has been learned as we stay away from Reality TV con men.

Itll just be a social media/justice con man instead. Obama was elected on hope and change and because he was young and black. People havent changed.

Itll just be a social media/justice con man instead. Obama was elected on hope and change and because he was young and black. People havent changed.
As bad as Obama was, he was no where near as bad and damaging as Trump.

We've seen the same since 2016. Lots of Republicans that adhere to the collectivist, "big government" branch of the party headed off after the 2016 election. More left after this election. It happens.

Trump's election was the result of a split between those that believe in collective liberty and those that believe in individual liberty. The collectivists were bound to head away from the party that, historically, supported individual rights and individual liberty. I'm sure they'll make fine Democrats.
There is some serious problems with believing that the Republican party, Trump is for individual liberty, particularly after things like claiming plain red cups is a part of a "war on Christmas" or LGBT or abortion issues, or anything related to media or social media that does not agree with Trump.

Back
Top Bottom