• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Something very weird is going to happen to the Dems leading up to the nomination

Hicup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I've been thinking about this a lot, and it kind of happened to the Republican's in 2016, but it's going to be much worse for the Dems in 2020, and that is, prominent Democrats will be forced to back their horse way earlier than traditional conventional wisdom suggests. I wonder what effect that will have on the race, and the division that is most assuredly going to ensue? Any Dems have any thoughts on this? Do you see it playing out this way, and if so, how do you see it all going down?

Tim-

I've been thinking about this a lot, and it kind of happened to the Republican's in 2016, but it's going to be much worse for the Dems in 2020, and that is, prominent Democrats will be forced to back their horse way earlier than traditional conventional wisdom suggests. I wonder what effect that will have on the race, and the division that is most assuredly going to ensue? Any Dems have any thoughts on this? Do you see it playing out this way, and if so, how do you see it all going down?

Tim-

I see the vast herd of far-left candidates splitting that part of the base's primary vote thinly amongst them while a more centrist candidate has the remaining (larger?) share of the vote to himself/herself. Much how Trump, being the "odd man" (populist?), emerged over the top of the herd of career politicians running in the 2016 republicant primary.

My thought is we'll wait and see what happens. Unless the dems run hillary again, trump and the GOP as a whole are in deep, deep trouble. This election the right has many more senate seats to try to protect than the dems, unlike the last election where dems had the majority of seats to lose and only lost two. I think the right will lose six senate seats and more in the house to add to the dems majority there.

Not a Democrat, but I think the sooner the party unifies behind a nominee the better.

Tim-

The best chance democrats will ever have is to present an unvetted Hollywood-style glamour type late in the race who can generate lots of initial superficial enthusiasm without hindrances from dirty dark secrets still hidden behind the shining facade. Assange destroyed Hillary's fabricated facade before she had a chance to win. Obama came on the scene as a relatively unknown newbie with no history to speak of. Obama was the perfect candidate. He had no history. He was portrayed as a near-god to the ignorant masses. Just what democrats need again to win big.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom