• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Something Rare Is Occurring In Russia Right Now -- Protests

RIP U.S. Democracy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
There are currently mass demonstrations by Russians throughout the country against the Ukraine invasion. These are very brave people.

Hopefully this continues.

Thousands of people protested President Vladimir Putin’s attacks on Ukraine in cities across Russia on Thursday, a striking show of anger in a nation where spontaneous mass demonstrations are illegal and protesters can face fines and jail.

More than 1,700 people were arrested in at least 47 cities across the nation, according to rights group OVD-Info. The group was declared a foreign agent last year, when Putin launched a sweeping crackdown on activists, rights groups and opposition figures.

Russia lost $200 billion in stock value today, and the ruble crashed as well. And remember, investments go up and down because of what investors think will happen in the future. Wait until the average Russia has to try living day after day with an economy that's cratering and with currency that's increasingly worthless. I expect more protests.

Wow - that's really an encouraging thing to see. Who'da thunk we'd ever see something like this in Russia? I wonder if Putin ever gave thought to how his own country would react to his actions?

There are currently mass demonstrations by Russians throughout the country against the Ukraine invasion. These are very brave people.

Hopefully this continues.

There's also something very heartening happening right now too.
countries around the world are showing support for Ukraine by lighting up government buildings in the colors of the Ukraine flag, yellow and blue.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...d-light-buildings-Ukrainian-flag-colours.html

Countries around the world light up their buildings in the yellow and blue of its flag to show support as the besieged nation fights Putin's invasion

You will see images of;

The Colosseum in Rome, Italy today, with the colors of the Ukrainian flag illuminated on the historic landmark following Putin's invasion

The Brandenburg Gate is seen lit up in the colors of Ukrainian flag during an anti-war protest, after Russian President Vladimir Putin authorized a military operation in eastern Ukraine, in Berlin, Germany

The front of 10 Downing Street, the residence of British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, is light up blue and yellow in an expression of solidarity with Ukraine

Berlin, which represented the front line during the Cold War until the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989, was sending a clear signal for a free and sovereign Ukraine, said its government

Flinders Street Station in Melbourne, Australia was seen lit up in yellow and blue to show solidarity with Ukraine today as Russian President Vladimir Putin's invasion continues

https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/vide...0672862831132/480x270_8890900672862831132.mp4

This is all well and good, but I bet Ukraine wished for more substantial support.

Wow - that's really an encouraging thing to see. Who'da thunk we'd ever see something like this in Russia? I wonder if Putin ever gave thought to how his own country would react to his actions?
Putzin thought he had the peasants sufficiently intimidated. Guess he was wrong.

Time for them to go a step further. Drag his ass out of his home in the middle of the night, strip him naked and hang him upside down from a lamp post in Red Square.

Putzin thought he had the peasants sufficiently intimidated. Guess he was wrong.

Time for them to go a step further. Drag his ass out of his home in the middle of the night, strip him naked and hang him upside down from a lamp post in Red Square.
Did you see the video of the tank that purposely ran over a civilian auto? Fortunately, the driver survived; but it's a testament to Putin's callous disregard for human life.

Did you see the video of the tank that purposely ran over a civilian auto? Fortunately, the driver survived; but it's a testament to Putin's callous disregard for human life.
I heard that was actually the Ukrainian military, and it was an accident. The drivers lost control at the wrong time.

Not that I want to defend Russia. They've done lots of ****ed up things, but I don't think that specific incident was one of them.

I heard that was actually the Ukrainian military, and it was an accident. The drivers lost control at the wrong time.
No. It was a Russian armored mobile rocket launcher, and it was clearly no accident.

If you have proof otherwise, post it.

I prefer a UN disposal squad. Saudi Arabia can handle it and we won't ask for details.

It makes me hope that this whole fiasco might end with Putin overthrown and the start of real democracy in Russia.

I'm not an optimistic person, but it's nice to imagine
Some people say this is the final act of the dissolution of the USSR; first the Wall, now Putin. Then a new page for Russia.

No. It was a Russian armored mobile rocket launcher, and it was clearly no accident.

If you have proof otherwise, post it.
Not sure why you think my use of the phrase "I heard" implied I have proof. I don't.

I saw a video when it first came out, along with a lot of speculation. Seems to be confirmed now, so I was wrong. I retract #13, I should have looked it up before speaking.

It makes me hope that this whole fiasco might end with Putin overthrown and the start of real democracy in Russia.

I'm not an optimistic person, but it's nice to imagine

That would be amazing!

Back
Top Bottom