• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Some states moving to get rid of CCW permit

Tennessee

Utah

Montana

I've always hated the idea of any sort of permit being need to exercise a constitutionally protected right, so it's nice to see more states moving in the right direction.
I'm glad to see that some states understand "shall not be infringed"...at least partly.

I'm glad to see that some states understand "shall not be infringed"...at least partly.
this is an interesting subject because the second amendment originally was only intended to prevent federal interference MAINLY because the federal government was NEVER properly DELEGATED any power in this area

Now state governments were. And TRADITIONALLY, the prohibition on carrying concealed weapons (or carrying without a license) was seen as a PROPER police power of state government. When the second amendment (more than 100 years after it should have been) was incorporated through the 14th amendment and applied to the states, numerous questions were raised concerning to what extent could the second amendment-due to McDonald v Chicago be used to strike down previously unquestioned restrictions imposed by state government?

Ohio as well.

did you see the bill DeWine signed into law

1) the sale and manufacture of automatic (AKA Switchblade) knives in Ohio becomes Legal on April 10. For years you could own (I have dozens) carry etc automatic knives but it was illegal to sell them or offer them for sale. Yet at numerous gun shows, you see them for sale. I asked the then general counsel of the FBI (since many of the dealers were out of state-violating the idiotic federal law) why those laws weren't enforced, and I asked the country Prosecutor as well. Both noted that with the passage of HELLER V DC, the laws would be stricken down so they ignored it. But this is a good thing what DeWine did. It is absolutely idiotic to treat these knives different than say many other folders that can be opened as fast or FASTER than automatics

2) carrying a knife and being charged with having a concealed weapon only will happen if the knife is then used illegally to assault or harm someone.

1) the sale and manufacture of automatic (AKA Switchblade) knives in Ohio becomes Legal on April 10. For years you could own (I have dozens) carry etc automatic knives but it was illegal to sell them or offer them for sale. Yet at numerous gun shows, you see them for sale. I asked the then general counsel of the FBI (since many of the dealers were out of state-violating the idiotic federal law) why those laws weren't enforced, and I asked the country Prosecutor as well. Both noted that with the passage of HELLER V DC, the laws would be stricken down so they ignored it. But this is a good thing what DeWine did. It is absolutely idiotic to treat these knives different than say many other folders that can be opened as fast or FASTER than automatics

2) carrying a knife and being charged with having a concealed weapon only will happen if the knife is then used illegally to assault or harm someone.
Not sure of the benefit of that, but I am sure all the 80s kids will be happy

Last edited:
Not sure of the benefit of that, but I am sure all the 80s kids will be happy
half the people I know carry folding knives clipped to their pocket. If the clip is visible, the knife is not concealed. You put on a longer jacket or untuck a shirt-now you might be in violatin of the law.

the switchblade nonsense came from too many old men, watching West Side Story while drunk

These both seem pragmatic.

I can't keep track of my phone, so I'm not likely to be carrying any guns or knives around. And since I don't live in fear, I don't see much reason to anyway.

I know texas is not among the states, the state leaders seem to feel carry should be a right not a priviledge, however conceal carry permits generate too much revenue for the state, so few want to end it even though many of the state leaders feel carry should be a right.

I can't keep track of my phone, so I'm not likely to be carrying any guns or knives around. And since I don't live in fear, I don't see much reason to anyway.
That is the beauty of the US. You have right to choose to not exercise your rights.

Tennessee

Utah

Montana

I've always hated the idea of any sort of permit being need to exercise a constitutionally protected right, so it's nice to see more states moving in the right direction.
It's never been a real issue here. Tennessee is still America.....

Tennessee

Utah

Montana

Works for me. Id be happy with open carry, but im not allowed to do either in my state, without govt permission. Florida is going in the wrong direction unfortunately.

Once if ever you become a victim of a violent crime you may have a different opinion

I see you favor four words from the 2A.

this is an interesting subject because the second amendment originally was only intended to prevent federal interference MAINLY because the federal government was NEVER properly DELEGATED any power in this area

Now state governments were. And TRADITIONALLY, the prohibition on carrying concealed weapons (or carrying without a license) was seen as a PROPER police power of state government. When the second amendment (more than 100 years after it should have been) was incorporated through the 14th amendment and applied to the states, numerous questions were raised concerning to what extent could the second amendment-due to McDonald v Chicago be used to strike down previously unquestioned restrictions imposed by state government?
The federal government first determined gun control with the 2A. They still determine gun control.

I'm working on a nuclear weapon app.

Absolutely. Four very important words.
Yeah, because guns are the most important thing in the world.

How much of a four words from the 2A purist are you?

How much of a four words from the 2A purist are you?
The straw man is a fallacy in which an opponent's argument is overstated or misrepresented in order to be more easily attacked or refuted. The technique often takes quotes out of context or, more often, incorrectly paraphrases or summarizes an opponent's position. Then after "defeating" the position, the attacker claims to have beaten the real thing.

Although the term straw man is a recent coinage, the concept is ancient. In the "Topics," Aristotle acknowledges "that in argument it would be inappropriate to interpret as someone's position an opinion that he did not express or is not committed to, in virtue of what he said," according to Douglas Walton in "Methods of Argumentation." The name of the fallacy represents the idea that although a straw man may look like a human, it won't put up any resistance in a fight.

Be sure to take your strawman with you, because...you are dismissed.

...​

Be sure to take your strawman with you, because...you are dismissed.
Asking a question is a straw man argument?!

How long have you been a conservative and why?

In the context of politics, guns in private hands are extremely important.

History is filled with examples of governments getting out of control and committing mass murder against unarmed, defenseless people. Guns in private hands are a very effective way to prevent that.

In the context of politics, guns in private hands are extremely important.

History is filled with examples of governments getting out of control and committing mass murder against unarmed, defenseless people. Guns in private hands are a very effective way to prevent that.
The main problem is that most conservatives are all for the strongest US military possible, so that goes against your notion.

Another is that governments do the same things to armed people.

Back
Top Bottom