• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Some good news for gun owners

Fishing is such a boring pastime, but you can always catch & release, unlike hunters.
Boring? Here you are, standing in a stream with a fly rod. You have tied on a fly that you think matches hatching insects. You have to select a place upstream of where you think there is a trout — behind a rock, at the edge of a riffle. Then you have to cast your line so that it unfolds from the lazy U above you and lands gently in that very place. And when the trout rises, you have to set the hook, then keep your rod tip up as you play the fish. His life force travels up the line through the rod to you. Then you unhook him, face him upstream til the river’s current revives him and he swims away. So you have been refreshed by the trout’s struggles as he starts to give you his life, you restore it to him, and there is no net loss of the life force.

Boring? Here you are, standing in a stream with a fly rod. You have tied on a fly that you think matches hatching insects. You have to select a place upstream of where you think there is a trout — behind a rock, at the edge of a riffle. Then you have to cast your line so that it unfolds from the lazy U above you and lands gently in that very place. And when the trout rises, you have to set the hook, then keep your rod tip up as you play the fish. His life force travels up the line through the rod to you. Then you unhook him, face him upstream til the river’s current revives him and he swims away. So you have been refreshed by the trout’s struggles as he starts to give you his life, you restore it to him, and there is no net loss of the life force.
I learned to use a fly rod at about 11yo. My stepdad wouldn't allow casting rods in the canoe. We fished for either panfish or largemouth bass. Of course, they don't require the finesse of trout in clear streams.

Sorry you lost me at the end of the first line...how about you write a paragraph on the joys of watching grass grow ?

Sorry you lost me at the end of the first line...how about you write a paragraph on the joys of watching grass grow ?
are you saying casting for trout is less amusing than trolling on a message board?

Ah, I am grateful for your approach to the beauty of fly-fishing. Its Zen obviously escapes you. And as a result, one less fisher wades in the stream, staring at the glory of the distant mountains, at one with nature and it’s perfect expression, the trout that bears its rainbow.
Somebody stop me, else the tortured prose continues.

Ah, I am grateful for your approach to the beauty of fly-fishing. Its Zen obviously escapes you. And as a result, one less fisher wades in the stream, staring at the glory of the distant mountains, at one with nature and it’s perfect expression, the trout that bears its rainbow.
I've fly fished saltwater a few times with varying degrees of success, but fresh water is still a mystery to me. I think a lot has to do with weight. I'm used to 8 and bait even saltwater flys got a little weight on them.

I learned to use a fly rod at about 11yo. My stepdad wouldn't allow casting rods in the canoe. We fished for either panfish or largemouth bass. Of course, they don't require the finesse of trout in clear streams.
I fish for food, not for sport. Spinning reels are all I use, because trying to reel-in a 40-pound King salmon on a fly rod would be damn difficult and you can't use fly rods to catch bottom fish like halibut. I use an all brass Penn spinning reel for saltwater, and another stainless steel spinning reel for freshwater.

There are no pan fish or bass in Alaska, but we do have several members of the Salmonidae family, including Rainbow/Steelhead trout and Dolly Varden.

There are just 44 more days before salmon season opens in Alaska. (y)

this is a big big ammunition factory. Remington 22s have been hard to find lately as has the lower cost pistol Ammo

Bubba is hording ammunition because it looks like the shit is going to go down.

Same thing happened about 8 years ago.

Bubba is hording ammunition because it looks like the shit is going to go down.

Same thing happened about 8 years ago.

more of it is caused by newbies who have no idea what ammo should cost and they feed the gougers and scalpers

I fish for food, not for sport. Spinning reels are all I use, because trying to reel-in a 40-pound King salmon on a fly rod would be damn difficult and you can't use fly rods to catch bottom fish like halibut. I use an all brass Penn spinning reel for saltwater, and another stainless steel spinning reel for freshwater.

There are no pan fish or bass in Alaska, but we do have several members of the Salmonidae family, including Rainbow/Steelhead trout and Dolly Varden.

There are just 44 more days before salmon season opens in Alaska. (y)
Never caught a Steelhead. They are said to be the Holy Grail of fishing, the weight of salmon in some cases with the fight of a Rainbow trout. Here in the SF Bay Area, near a city named Walnut Creek, one can fish for salmon in that creek in January, as it is no doubt almost dry by now. Unbelievable, as it's muddy and has garbage and shopping carts in it. Salmon come up stream til stopped by a dam/spillway. The fish are either all beat up with flesh hanging off or brilliant in color or somewhere in between. I hooked a big one that I never saw, even when it was near my feet. He ran and broke the line. Saw a kid walking away holding one that reached his hip. Strange, beautiful phenomenon in the midst of a crowded urban area, though I haven't been back in a few years to see if it still happens.

Some fly rods do work on close-to-bottom fish. One uses a sinking or sink tip line, and flies that resemble early stage insects, and you watch for irregular movement of the line.

Well I have to say, that boring as fly fishing is, practicing it is a lot safer than shooting guns
I'm not sure but I doubt anyone has committed a mass killing by fishing

So I have to say that if gun owners were all to trade their guns for fishing rods, the USA would be a much safer place.

Well I have to say, that boring as fly fishing is, practicing it is a lot safer than shooting guns
I'm not sure but I doubt anyone has committed a mass killing by fishing

So I have to say that if gun owners were all to trade their guns for fishing rods, the USA would be a much safer place.
yeah the gang bangers are going to do that, instead of selling crack

I didn't say they were, just that if all gun owners traded their guns for fishing rods, the USA would be a safer place.
if we all had wheels, we would save on car payments too

Never caught a Steelhead. They are said to be the Holy Grail of fishing, the weight of salmon in some cases with the fight of a Rainbow trout. Here in the SF Bay Area, near a city named Walnut Creek, one can fish for salmon in that creek in January, as it is no doubt almost dry by now. Unbelievable, as it's muddy and has garbage and shopping carts in it. Salmon come up stream til stopped by a dam/spillway. The fish are either all beat up with flesh hanging off or brilliant in color or somewhere in between. I hooked a big one that I never saw, even when it was near my feet. He ran and broke the line. Saw a kid walking away holding one that reached his hip. Strange, beautiful phenomenon in the midst of a crowded urban area, though I haven't been back in a few years to see if it still happens.

Some fly rods do work on close-to-bottom fish. One uses a sinking or sink tip line, and flies that resemble early stage insects, and you watch for irregular movement of the line.
Just about every river fish in Alaska heads for the sea before the rivers freeze over. That includes the Arctic Char and Grayling. Steelheads remain out at sea for 2 or 3 years before returning to spawn. We had a number of years when it was only catch and release because some POS decided to illegally dump a bunch of northern pike into a lake and they got into the river and ate all the trout fry. Northern Pike is an invasive species in Alaska. Thankfully, things have returned back to normal and we can once again keep our Steelhead.

Salmon stop eating, begin to mutate, and start dying the instant they hit freshwater. I check the salmon I catch for sea lice. If the sea lice are still alive then it has not been in freshwater for more than three days. I try to fish close to estuaries to ensure my salmon are as fresh as possible. If they look all mutated and beat up, with flesh hanging off them, then they probably have been in freshwater for a week, maybe longer.

Since salmon stop eating when they hit freshwater, there is a trick to catching them. You bait them with salmon roe. They instinctively try to bury the floating blob of salmon roe into the mud or gravel on the river bottom. It is during that brief period when they suck the roe into their mouth, and before they spit it out again on the river bottom, that you have to set your hook. It takes a little practice to figure out the correct feel.

The Kenai River is the most popular river in Alaska for world class salmon. Five foot long 80-pound King salmon are not uncommon. Because it is so popular with the tourists, I fish the Ninilchik River closer to Homer. The Kings are only 20 to 30 pounds, but they are much easier to catch. Silvers are what I catch the most, but they don't start running until the end of June. Reds (Sockeye) are what I prefer because they are the best tasting, and they are the smallest of the five species of Pacific salmon weigh in between 6 and 8 pounds.

I'm planning on catching 250+ pounds of salmon by the end of July. Caribou season begins in August, so I want to have my salmon fishing finished and the salmon smoked by then.

Since halibut tend to be in 400+ foot deep waters, I seriously doubt even a weighted line would help. You need some serious weight to get it that deep rapidly.

Last edited:
more of it is caused by newbies who have no idea what ammo should cost and they feed the gougers and scalpers

The reason there's no ammo. Or cheap ammo at the moment is basically the same reason there was no toilet paper at the beginning of the pandemic. People horded. Their motivations are different, but both created a shortage.

The reason there's no ammo. Or cheap ammo at the moment is basically the same reason there was no toilet paper at the beginning of the pandemic. People horded. Their motivations are different, but both created a shortage.

Supply & demand.

that and the fact that there were 20 million new gun owners

that and the fact that there were 20 million new gun owners
I've seen that 20 million figure in reference to the number od checks done last year, but the stories I've seen put the first time at closer to 5 million. Still a pretty hefty number.

Do you have a reference for that ?
Using information from the National Instant Criminal Background Check System and applying methodology to how many of those checks generally equate to gun sales historically, the outlet estimated more than 21 million legal gun sales occurred from January to Nov, 30.

Also consider that probably half of guns that change hands every year are between individuals, and have no paper trail. I have a safe full of guns and not one went through any paperwork. People buy and sell all the time at the gun ranges without paperwork. It isn't required.

So 20 million new gun owners isn't too much of a leap.

Always liked STS and Gun Club shells for their performance and reloading qualities.

I have a lot of Rem .22s that were sold as loss leaders. They don't reliably cycle my Bersa, so I run them in my Single Six or in rifles.
Better load up on all the ammo you can find before Joe takes it.

Also consider that probably half of guns that change hands every year are between individuals, and have no paper trail. I have a safe full of guns and not one went through any paperwork. People buy and sell all the time at the gun ranges without paperwork. It isn't required.

So 20 million new gun owners isn't too much of a leap.

So American bought more guns last year...but you're just assuming that about 20m of them were bought by non-gun owners.

Back
Top Bottom