• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Somali woman 'with 11 husbands' stoned to death by al-Shabab

Didn't Margaret Mead teach us all that all societal values were subjective? So if it works for them and they're OK with it, carry on.

That is a disgusting comment.

You didn't expect class to come from a trumpette did you? Because that ship has sailed a long time ago and they are very proud of their lack of having any.

White House aide joked of 'dying' McCain

White House aide Kelly Sadler responded to Sen. John McCain's opposition to President Donald Trump's pick for CIA director by saying Thursday morning that "he's dying anyway," a White House official told CNN.

The official said Sadler, who is in charge of surrogate communications, meant it as a joke, "but it fell flat."​

You didn't expect class to come from a trumpette did you? Because that ship has sailed a long time ago and they are very proud of their lack of having any.

White House aide joked of 'dying' McCain

White House aide Kelly Sadler responded to Sen. John McCain's opposition to President Donald Trump's pick for CIA director by saying Thursday morning that "he's dying anyway," a White House official told CNN.

The official said Sadler, who is in charge of surrogate communications, meant it as a joke, "but it fell flat."​

Their time will pass, and they will scurry away. Trump has alienated Allies of the US that have supported US o[policies for many decades. He is carrying water for China, by withdrawing from the TPP, and Russia with the JCPOA withdrawal that has alienated many in the EU.
Then they have the gall to say we want to rein in Iranian behavior, well that is much easier within the deal and pressuring/working with allies to address problems.

I said, "there's even different interpretations of jihad".

You actually proved my point, for you listed three of them:

A believer's internal struggle to live out the Muslim faith as well as possible;
The struggle to build a good Muslim society;
Holy war: the struggle to defend Islam, with force if necessary.

A "believer's internal struggle to live out the faith" is NOT the same as "the struggle to build a good Muslim society", and neither of those is the same as "the struggle to defend Islam, with force if necessary".

Thank you for backing me up!

Two things:

1. There's a big difference between 3 different interpretations vs. 3 component parts. They ALL define jihad (with the addition of a fourth as follows).

2. Holy war: The spread of Islam, with force if necessary. I'm sure you're aware that shortly after Mohamed's death, his successors rode out of Saudi Arabia and tried to conquer the known world in the name of Islam. Do you think they just made **** up to justify that?

I'll address the rest of your post when I have more time.

Two things:

1. There's a big difference between 3 different interpretations vs. 3 component parts. They ALL define jihad (with the addition of a fourth as follows).

2. Holy war: The spread of Islam, with force if necessary. I'm sure you're aware that shortly after Mohamed's death, his successors rode out of Saudi Arabia and tried to conquer the known world in the name of Islam. Do you think they just made **** up to justify that?

I'll address the rest of your post when I have more time.

If you're going to try to claim that "holy war" is one of four components, and that all are components of the same thing...no, sir, that doesn't work. If that were indeed the case, then the majority of Muslims would not be PEACEFUL...but they are. If your claim were indeed the case, then ALL the Muslim nations would be continually at war with anyone not of their faith...but they're not. If your claim were true, then it wouldn't be safer for me to walk the streets of Dubai than in almost any major American city you care to name...but it is.

Somali woman 'with 11 husbands' stoned to death by al-Shabab - BBC News

A woman has been stoned to death in Somalia after a court run by al-Shabab convicted her of having several husbands, the militant group says.

Shukri Abdullahi Warsame was accused of marrying 11 times, without divorcing her previous husbands.
==================================
That's Sharia law for you: buried up to her neck & then stoned to death. Moral: even under Trump, it's always worse somewhere else.

If I had to deal with 11 husbands, I'd turn myself in and bring my own bucket of rocks!

Yes, it's a joke. I'd just take a handful of pills and call it a day. :lol:

If you're going to try to claim that "holy war" is one of four components, and that all are components of the same thing...no, sir, that doesn't work. If that were indeed the case, then the majority of Muslims would not be PEACEFUL...but they are. If your claim were indeed the case, then ALL the Muslim nations would be continually at war with anyone not of their faith...but they're not. If your claim were true, then it wouldn't be safer for me to walk the streets of Dubai than in almost any major American city you care to name...but it is.

You want proof that holy war is a component of jihad?????? Here you go:

Sura 9 contains the following verses in which conjugations of 'jihad' are clearly used interchangeably with those of 'qatl' (kill/fight), and all in the context of fighting for allah and Islam. I have shown in parentheses whether 'qatl' or 'jihad' was used:

9:12 - But if, after coming to terms with you, they break their oaths and revile your belief, fight (qatl) the leaders of the disbelief - for they have no oaths - in order that they will desist.
9:13 - Will you not fight (qatl) against those who have broken their oaths and conspired to expel the Messenger?
9:14 - Fight (qatl) them, Allah will punish them with your hands and degrade them. He will grant you victory over them and heal the chests of a believing nation.
9:16 - Did you suppose that you would be left before Allah has known those of you who fought (jihad) and did not take a confidant other than Allah, His Messenger, and the believers? Allah is Aware of what you do.
9:19 - Do you consider giving drink to the pilgrims and inhabiting the Sacred Mosque is the same as one who believes in Allah and the Last Day, and struggles (jihad) in the Way of Allah? These are not held equal by Allah. Allah does not guide the harmdoers. (In this case 'jihad' is interpreted in most translations as 'struggle' or 'strive', but is still used in the context of fighting. Here, God (actually Mohamed pretending to receive revelations) is telling the faithful that simply cheering and praying will not please him as much as fighting).
9:20 - Those who believe, and migrated, and struggle (jihad) in the Way of Allah with their wealth and their persons are greater in rank with Allah. It is they who are the winners (continuation of 9:19).
9:24 - Say: 'If your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your wives, your tribes, the property you have acquired, the merchandise you fear will not be sold, and the homes you love, are dearer to you than Allah, His Messenger and the struggling (jihad) for His Way, then wait until Allah shall bring His command. Allah does not guide the evildoers.'
9:25- Allah has helped you on many a battlefield. In the Battle of Hunain, when your numbers were pleasing you they availed you nothing; the earth, for all its vastness, seemed to close in upon you and you turned your backs and fled. (I've included this to prove that warfare is the topic at hand, lest anyone tries to tell us Mohamed was organizing a bake sale.)
9:29 - Fight (qatl) those who neither believe in Allah nor the Last Day, who do not forbid what Allah and His Messenger have forbidden, and do not embrace the religion of the truth, being among those who have been given the Book (Bible and the Torah), until they pay tribute out of hand and have been humiliated.
9:39 - If you do not go forth, He will punish you with a painful punishment and replace you by another nation. You will in no way harm Him; for Allah has power over all things. (This shows Allah/Mohamed is still cajoling and threatening the faithful to lay down their lives for him.)
9:41 - Whether lightly or heavily, march on and fight (jihad) for the Way of Allah, with your wealth and your persons. This will be best for you, if you but knew.
9:44 - Those who believe in Allah and the Last Day will not ask your permission so that they may struggle (jihad) with their wealth and their selves. Allah knows best the righteous.

Notice that 'qatl' is the root word for the first three verses above, but gives way to 'jihad' in the next four, reverts to 'qatl' in the infamous 9:29, then goes back to 'jihad' by 9:41, proving that the two are used interchangeably, and all in the context of war. Verse 9:29 also shows that Christians and Jews are specific targets, which answers your previous incorrect post as well.

Hugh Kennedy's book, "The Great Arab Conquests" explains everything you seem to not understand. I recommend you read it and shed the willful ignorance in which you blissfully live.

Isn't it interesting how Islamoapologists simply run away when you successfully rebut their "facts"?

There is not a single verse in the Qur’an which says to harm another person because of their not being a Muslim.

If you've read the Qur'an you know that in every single instance in which an adversarial situation is being described, it is defined in terms of Muslims against non-believers. Verse 9:29 is probably the most important verse in the Qur'an in terms of driving that definition home, because it was the last verse 'revealed' that had to do with warfare. It appeared after the Muslims had defeated the Meccans and obliterated the Banu Quraiza Jews in Mecca. It became the template for Islam's military conquests that were to shorty follow.

Go to The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Translation and see for yourself. You'll find this:

Sahih International: Fight those who do not believe in Allah or in the Last Day and who do not consider unlawful what Allah and His Messenger have made unlawful and who do not adopt the religion of truth from those who were given the Scripture - [fight] until they give the jizyah willingly while they are humbled.

Pickthall: Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, and forbid not that which Allah hath forbidden by His messenger, and follow not the Religion of Truth, until they pay the tribute readily, being brought low.

Yusuf Ali: Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

Shakir: Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Messenger have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection.

Muhammad Sarwar: Fight against those People of the Book who have no faith in God or the Day of Judgment, who do not consider unlawful what God and His Messenger have made unlawful, and who do not believe in the true religion, until they humbly pay tax with their own hands.

Mohsin Khan: Fight against those who (1) believe not in Allah, (2) nor in the Last Day, (3) nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger (4) and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (i.e. Islam) among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

Arberry: Fight those who believe not in God and the Last Day and do not forbid what God and His Messenger have forbidden -- such men as practise not the religion of truth, being of those who have been given the Book -- until they pay the tribute out of hand and have been humbled.

The Arabic word translated as 'fight' is 'qatl' ( قتل ). Copy that into the online translator of your choice, and you'll see it means 'kill/murder/slay'.

I believe that puts paid to your false assertion.

There is not a single verse in the Qur’an which says to harm another person because of their not being a Muslim.

Allow me to pile on. Try reading 9:111 (The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Translation). The gist of this verse is that God has bought the lives and property of Muslims in exchange for eternity in paradise. All they have to do is kill and be killed for Islam. Let's all just take a moment and let the love of Islam wash over us.

Sahih International: Indeed, Allah has purchased from the believers their lives and their properties [in exchange] for that they will have Paradise. They fight in the cause of Allah , so they kill and are killed. [It is] a true promise [binding] upon Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. And who is truer to his covenant than Allah ? So rejoice in your transaction which you have contracted. And it is that which is the great attainment.

Pickthall: Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.

Yusuf Ali: Allah hath purchased of the believers their persons and their goods; for theirs (in return) is the garden (of Paradise): they fight in His cause, and slay and are slain: a promise binding on Him in truth, through the Law, the Gospel, and the Qur'an: and who is more faithful to his covenant than Allah? then rejoice in the bargain which ye have concluded: that is the achievement supreme.

Shakir: Surely Allah has bought of the believers their persons and their property for this, that they shall have the garden; they fight in Allah's way, so they slay and are slain; a promise which is binding on Him in the Taurat and the Injeel and the Quran; and who is more faithful to his covenant than Allah? Rejoice therefore in the pledge which you have made; and that is the mighty achievement.

Muhammad Sarwar: God has purchased the souls and property of the believers in exchange for Paradise. They fight for the cause of God to destroy His enemies and to sacrifice themselves. This is a true promise which He has revealed in the Torah, the Gospel, and the Quran. No one is more true to His promise than God. Let this bargain be glad news for them. This is indeed the supreme triumph.

Mohsin Khan: Verily, Allah has purchased of the believers their lives and their properties; for the price that theirs shall be the Paradise. They fight in Allah's Cause, so they kill (others) and are killed. It is a promise in truth which is binding on Him in the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel) and the Quran. And who is truer to his covenant than Allah? Then rejoice in the bargain which you have concluded. That is the supreme success.

Arberry: God has bought from the believers their selves and their possessions against the gift of Paradise; they fight in the way of God; they kill, and are killed; that is a promise binding upon God in the Torah, and the Gospel, and the Koran; and who fulfils his covenant truer than God? So rejoice in the bargain you have made with Him; that is the mighty triumph.

Can we not make this about Islam vs. Christianity? Anywho, I've been doing some research on al-Shabaab and thought I might share my findings:

Kenya: Somalia's War On Al-Shabaab Not In Vain, Kenya Army Says - allAfrica.com

"We are moving with difficulties and challenges but with confidence that our mission is on track. We have made strides and we will prevail over Al Shabaab. The Somalia government had been operating from Nairobi but it is now operating from Mogadishu. Sooner or later, our mission will be achieved. Have we achieved our goal, of course not. Are we going there, of course yes," Madeira says.

He says that Villa Somalia is not being shelled daily by Al Shabaab like it was previously and institutions including the Amisom, military and police headquarters and administrative offices have been established and are working.

Guterres: Thousands of child soldiers fight in Somalia

UN's Antonio Guterres concerned over new report saying nearly 6,200 children were recruited over a six year period.

In a report to the Security Council circulated this week, the UN chief said al-Shabab used children in combat, with nine-year-olds reportedly taught to use weapons and sent to frontlines. Children were also used to transport explosives, work as spies, carry ammunition or perform domestic chores, Guterres said.

It was estimated more than half of al-Shabab's force were children,and at least 60 percent of the group's "elements" captured in Somalia's semi-autonomous Puntland region in March 2016 were youngsters.

That's just monstrous, a bit older of an article but still monstrous. I hope the Somalis and rest of Africa crush them.

Can we not make this about Islam vs. Christianity?

I did a quick check of the last 2 pages and I don't see any comparison of the two. Which posts do you have in mind (I'm busy now, but I'll reread every post a bit later to make sure).

Back
Top Bottom