• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So now Dr. Suess is racist! Just another example of how crazed the left is.

No. What?

I was asking @Integrityrespec, but that style was known as a "Cootie Garage" and the reason I mention it is because the name of that hairstyle eventually began to be viewed as somewhat offensive after the 1918 pandemic, what with "cooties" being now associated with disease and death.

So, it wasn't "woke pressure from the left" or woke pressure of any kind, it was reasonable people realizing that it was not an attractive or welcome name to hang on someone's fashion. So they withdrew the style and all references to cooties. It was a voluntary decision, no one was victimized or pressured into making that decision. And likewise, it's doubtful that anyone involved with the publishers of Giesel's six books in question were victimized either.
It's likely that they simply took another look at the books and decided that people had a legitimate reason to bring it up.

Just one example makes it fairly clear.

Dr Suess african.png

And if you don't think that's a reasonable stance to take, then that's simply an opinion, but for @Integrityrespec and the rest of Fox News Nation to make up nonsense about some imaginary "leftist thought police" just goes to show that a lot of people are incapable of coming up with any original arguments or thoughts about anything, they're just trained to regurgitate Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson's boilerplate rhetoric on command.

Stuff falls out of fashion all the time, things once thought innocuous are later regarded as clumsy or vulgar, it's a normal process.
When I was growing up, no one ever thought of owning a pickup truck if they lived in the city, and ordinary people generally did not wear blue jeans.
Hard as it may be to imagine, blue jeans were regarded as something worn by farmers, cattlemen and miners, and not generally accepted as regular daily wear outside of those environments and pickup trucks were regarded as something owned as work vehicles and not parked in suburban or city neighborhoods. That would have been regarded as odd in Washington DC.

Schools even had rules AGAINST WEARING blue jeans.
And then gradually people began regarding pickup trucks as being as normal as any other vehicle, and no one cared if you wore blue jeans anymore.
There wasn't any "woke leftist thought police pressure" regarding either of those changes, there wasn't anything of the kind.
People's perceptions just changed, that's all.

And today, people's perceptions of some of the illustrations and some of the prose in a small number of Giesel's books have now changed, and clearly the estate and the publisher both agreed that shelving those would be a better idea, because negative perceptions of those books might damage the reputation of his other books, which are the majority of his titles.

It's a gross exaggeration and RW hyperbole to refer to that simple marketing decision as "woke leftist pressure" and hearing that and seeing it is like hearing crybabies throwing tantrums about things that they don't even care about in the first place.

Because in reality, they don't actually care, they only care because someone at Fox News told them to care, and it shows.

Do you know what this hairstyle is known as?

03.jpg

If I said the "Princess Leia Special," I would be incorrect, wouldn't I?

Green eggs and ham hop on pop and cat in the hat. Horton hears a who, etc.

Those too, but I liked and read "Scrambled Eggs Super!" even more. None of those books had super death birds.

Dr Suess, really? There is nothing wrong with the Dr. or his good books. They are an excellent read and a great way to teach kids not just reading but about people and life and "all the places you'll go". The left is really crazy. https://www.foxnews.com/us/loudoun-county-public-schools-dr-seuss-racial-undertones

What does the "left" have to do with this. The business that preserves the work Theodor Seuss Geisel made this decision. Are you questioning the right of a business to decide what is right for their viability and their bottom line? How communist of you!

If I said the "Princess Leia Special," I would be incorrect, wouldn't I?

It's obvious that George Lucas somehow glommed onto that and decided it was outlandish enough, but had that movie somehow been made in the turn of the century Princess Leia's hairstyle would have looked like that of an ordinary earthling female, because it was a concession to the bobbed hair craze by women who did not want to cut off all their locks.

And prior to 1918 "cootie" was a children's term for an imaginary germ or repellent quality transmitted by obnoxious or slovenly people, or a reference to soldiers' slang for the painful body lice that infested the trenches in WW1.
In 1919 a game board company decided to trademark it as a game, but its popularity bombed right after the pandemic struck, and it wasn't until around the 1950's that it was brought back and endured.
Suddenly any joking references to germs or disease became a little too grim and people shied away.

What does the "left" have to do with this. The business that preserves the work Theodor Seuss Geisel made this decision. Are you questioning the right of a business to decide what is right for their viability and their bottom line? How communist of you!

The fevered right is having the vapors and expressing so much faux concern about this. As usual, they are misguided and wrong, and once again look stupid as a result.

What does the "left" have to do with this.

Fox News Nation has decided that secret leftist commies are everywhere now.

Talkin’ John Birch Paranoid Blues
Bob Dylan
Well, I was feelin’ sad and feelin’ blue
I didn’t know what in the world I wus gonna do
Them Communists they wus comin’ around
They wus in the air
They wus on the ground
They wouldn’t gimme no peace . . .

So I run down most hurriedly
And joined up with the John Birch Society
I got me a secret membership card
And started off a-walkin’ down the road
Yee-hoo, I’m a real John Bircher now!
Look out you Commies!

Now we all agree with Hitler’s views
Although he killed six million Jews
It don’t matter too much that he was a Fascist
At least you can’t say he was a Communist!
That’s to say like if you got a cold you take a shot of malaria

Well, I wus lookin’ everywhere for them gol-darned Reds
I got up in the mornin’ ’n’ looked under my bed
Looked in the sink, behind the door
Looked in the glove compartment of my car
Couldn’t find ’em . . .

I wus lookin’ high an’ low for them Reds everywhere
I wus lookin’ in the sink an’ underneath the chair
I looked way up my chimney hole
I even looked deep down inside my toilet bowl
They got away . . .

Well, I wus sittin’ home alone an’ started to sweat
Figured they wus in my T.V. set
Peeked behind the picture frame
Got a shock from my feet, hittin’ right up in the brain
Them Reds caused it!
I know they did . . . them hard-core ones

Well, I quit my job so I could work all alone
Then I changed my name to Sherlock Holmes
Followed some clues from my detective bag
And discovered they wus red stripes on the American flag!
That ol’ Betsy Ross . . .

Well, I investigated all the books in the library
Ninety percent of ’em gotta be burned away

I investigated all the people that I knowed
Ninety-eight percent of them gotta go
The other two percent are fellow Birchers . . . just like me

Now Eisenhower, he’s a Russian spy
Lincoln, Jefferson and that Roosevelt guy
To my knowledge there’s just one man
That’s really a true American: George Lincoln Rockwell
I know for a fact he hates Commies cus he picketed the movie Exodus

Well, I fin’ly started thinkin’ straight
When I run outa things to investigate
Couldn’t imagine doin’ anything else
So now I’m sittin’ home investigatin’ myself!
Hope I don’t find out anything . . . hmm, great God!

Last edited:
You Trumpies don't REALLY want to talk too much about book bans, trust me on this, you'll be very embarrassed if folks start looking around and finding out all the books you guys had banned for real.

I was asking @Integrityrespec, but that style was known as a "Cootie Garage" and the reason I mention it is because the name of that hairstyle eventually began to be viewed as somewhat offensive after the 1918 pandemic, what with "cooties" being now associated with disease and death.

So, it wasn't "woke pressure from the left" or woke pressure of any kind, it was reasonable people realizing that it was not an attractive or welcome name to hang on someone's fashion. So they withdrew the style and all references to cooties. It was a voluntary decision, no one was victimized or pressured into making that decision. And likewise, it's doubtful that anyone involved with the publishers of Giesel's six books in question were victimized either.
It's likely that they simply took another look at the books and decided that people had a legitimate reason to bring it up.

Just one example makes it fairly clear.

View attachment 67321262

And if you don't think that's a reasonable stance to take, then that's simply an opinion, but for @Integrityrespec and the rest of Fox News Nation to make up nonsense about some imaginary "leftist thought police" just goes to show that a lot of people are incapable of coming up with any original arguments or thoughts about anything, they're just trained to regurgitate Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson's boilerplate rhetoric on command.

Stuff falls out of fashion all the time, things once thought innocuous are later regarded as clumsy or vulgar, it's a normal process.
When I was growing up, no one ever thought of owning a pickup truck if they lived in the city, and ordinary people generally did not wear blue jeans.
Hard as it may be to imagine, blue jeans were regarded as something worn by farmers, cattlemen and miners, and not generally accepted as regular daily wear outside of those environments and pickup trucks were regarded as something owned as work vehicles and not parked in suburban or city neighborhoods. That would have been regarded as odd in Washington DC.

Schools even had rules AGAINST WEARING blue jeans.
And then gradually people began regarding pickup trucks as being as normal as any other vehicle, and no one cared if you wore blue jeans anymore.
There wasn't any "woke leftist thought police pressure" regarding either of those changes, there wasn't anything of the kind.
People's perceptions just changed, that's all.

And today, people's perceptions of some of the illustrations and some of the prose in a small number of Giesel's books have now changed, and clearly the estate and the publisher both agreed that shelving those would be a better idea, because negative perceptions of those books might damage the reputation of his other books, which are the majority of his titles.

It's a gross exaggeration and RW hyperbole to refer to that simple marketing decision as "woke leftist pressure" and hearing that and seeing it is like hearing crybabies throwing tantrums about things that they don't even care about in the first place.

Because in reality, they don't actually care, they only care because someone at Fox News told them to care, and it shows.
You make a very reasonable argument for things naturally falling out of fashion over time, but some people labelling him a racist and not mentioning him on his birthday for the most important children's reading celebration there is, was wrong.

I see your political point about the right blowing this out of all proportion to feed their agenda, but the progressives are going too far, too. I'm going to write to Reading Across America and give them a piece of my mind. This isn't about politics for me, it's about a real respect for a brilliant man who made reading incredibly fun for generations of children. The fact that we've changed, like you said, is natural. He evolved, too; when he was alive he DID apologize, but he's not here to defend himself now and he's getting shit all over by the people who should know better.

Those too, but I liked and read "Scrambled Eggs Super!" even more. None of those books had super death birds.
I 'peeked' at it on Amazon--looks like a really fun one.

This shit why arsewholes like the former disgrace wins...****

People are sick and tired of this revisionism...

History, bad and good is history...how about talking to people for their whole self?

Well the left is INCAPABLE of that...

Have fun with more Trump bull of that is the way...damn

The Trumpist Cult is so horrific...but by doing this meaningless culture war shit you will just all but ensure another Trump victory or someone like him...

And can your country take another one?

Btw...Bill Maher agrees with me

Dr Suess, really? There is nothing wrong with the Dr. or his good books. They are an excellent read and a great way to teach kids not just reading but about people and life and "all the places you'll go". The left is really crazy. https://www.foxnews.com/us/loudoun-county-public-schools-dr-seuss-racial-undertones
Dr. Suess Enterprises, the company that owns the Dr. Suess catalog, decides to stop publishing six Dr. Suess books and all of a sudden it's all the fault of the "radical left cancel culture"? Slow news day on Fox, OAN and Newsmax?

No one is calling ALL his books racist, however he does stereotype in a rather poor way Chinese and Africans. But then again a rather privileged white male born in 1904 would have a far different view of races than most of us today. Remember the Sambo books? Remember the stereotypes of blacks in the 30's and 40's movies?

I grew up with Uncle Tom's Cabin, Sambo, Uncle Remus, 'I don't know nothing about birthin' no babies' and the like, even my favorite movie- 'It's a Wonderful Life' has stereotypes for ethnic groups. The 40's and 50's were a different time, it's time is over...

The left isn't crazy, the Rabid Right is looking for any excuse to rant about 'the left'... ✌

It's the same story from the right, over and over and over again. They get worked up over the tiniest of issues and claim that we're the ones who are easily offended. :LOL:

You make a very reasonable argument for things naturally falling out of fashion over time, but some people labelling him a racist and not mentioning him on his birthday for the most important children's reading celebration there is, was wrong.

I see your political point about the right blowing this out of all proportion to feed their agenda, but the progressives are going too far, too. I'm going to write to Reading Across America and give them a piece of my mind. This isn't about politics for me, it's about a real respect for a brilliant man who made reading incredibly fun for generations of children. The fact that we've changed, like you said, is natural. He evolved, too; when he was alive he DID apologize, but he's not here to defend himself now and he's getting shit all over by the people who should know better.

Oh, Theodore Geisel was actually very progressive for his time, no doubt about it.

Nevertheless:
A 2019 study from the Conscious Kid's Library and the University of California-San Diego researchers studied 50 children’s books and more than 2,200 characters created over decades by the children's author.

What it found: “Of the 2,240 (identified) human characters, there are forty-five characters of color representing 2% of the total number of human characters.” And of that fraction, 43 have Orientalist depictions, and two align with the theme of anti-Blackness, the study found.

"Notably, every character of color is male. Males of color are only presented in subservient, exotified, or dehumanized roles," the study authors, Katie Ishizuka and Ramón Stephens, wrote. "This also remains true in their relation to white characters. Most startling is the complete invisibility and absence of women and girls of color across Seuss' entire children’s book collection."

---So, it looks like they simply wish to make a more inclusive set of selections. I agree that omitting his birthday is cruel, but again, I seriously doubt that Green Eggs and Ham, Horton Hears a Who or Cat in the Hat will be banned.
And Theodore Giesel's reputation will not be harmed.

It's the same story from the right, over and over and over again. They get worked up over the tiniest of issues and claim that we're the ones who are easily offended. :LOL:

sure...But the woke is not far behind. (Peterson wanted to screen a film of his but because of harassment they did not screen it...harrassment from far lefties)..all people need to lay off that judgment...kinda my original point...

The political Right is responsible for 90 percent of all book bans, bowdlerization and censorship across the entire history of this country.
They have ZERO credibility when it comes to the subject of book bans.

The political Right is responsible for 90 percent of all book bans, bowdlerization and censorship across the entire history of this country.
They have ZERO credibility when it comes to the subject of book bans.
nonsense

Back
Top Bottom