• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Smashing Pumpkins Frontman Billy Corgan Compares 'Social Justice Warriors' To KKK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice
"Social justice is the fair and just relation between the individual and society."

On face value that doesn't seem like a particularly objectionable (let alone hateful!) goal.

Since when did the words fair and just come into being when describing peoples relationship to society?

The words fair and just imply equality for all even if that person hasn't earned it. When I use the word equality, I mean results.

Social Justice comes down to taking from those that have to give to those that don't.

Dead Kennedys are fine. Motorhead is bottom-of-the-barrell suck, though.

FTR: I do not like Smashing Pumpkins, either, but I make no correlation whatsoever between a musician's politics and their music. Unless they intend to purposely be a political band.
Bottom of the barrel? You shall be punished for your sins. Lemmy is God.

but I make no correlation whatsoever between a musician's politics and their music. Unless they intend to purposely be a political band.

In the case of Rage Against the Machine, I just pretend Rocha's vocals are like one of the adults in the Peanuts cartoons. Makes it a rocking band instead of a comedy act.

If you're* going to use it, it has to be a two-way street.

*-Generic 'you'.
No it's not. You you see a member of the Klan making a statement about how they hate minorities, saying that person is full of hate is not a two way street. Likewise Social Justice warriors are motivated by a hatred of opinions that differ from their own and frequently seek to quell that speech. Calling them out on their motivations doesn't mean you are also full of hatred.

Smashing pumpkins suck dude they've always been a pussified band, Minor-threat, Dead Kennedys, Fugazi, social distortion. and Motörhead. That's the stuff I'm into. And the problem with this term is the usual problem with all snarl words: it's used to discredit/smear ANYONE who dares to criticize the social status quo in terms of gender and race relations.
Just as I suspected, "talented musician" = leftist. :lamo

Hopefully the irony here - this being posted in a thread started with a gross hyperbolic attack against a group which few if any would identify or define themselves as - is intentional ;)

The elimination of rights or the attack on selected groups merely to silence them, is not made holy by the perceived holiness of the perpetrators.

A book that is burned is still burned whether done by religious groups, Nazis, Communists or American patriots.

Unchecked, this eventually results in all books being burned and all groups being silenced. If the thread was intended to be ironic or satirical, I apologize for my misreading.

Except Billy Corgan. :lamo :lamo

Do you like Megadeth?
Oh you guys also have Ted Nugent. Not a Megadeth fan, I don't like metal. I like motorhead but they are a rock 'n' roll band. I like real punk rock and rockabilly.

I would agree that most musicians lean left, though there are several notable exceptions. Ted Nugent being the uber-right poster child, of course.

Oh you guys also have Ted Nugent. Not a Megadeth fan, I don't like metal. I like motorhead but they are a rock 'n' roll band. I like real punk rock and rockabilly.

The Ramones?

The Ramones?

Great band. Interesting juxtaposition going on in that band. Ultra liberal vocalist and extremely racist right wing guitar player. Joey and Johnny hated each other. But that tension between them made the band better.

Great band. Interesting juxtaposition going on in that band. Ultra liberal vocalist and extremely racist right wing guitar player. Joey and Johnny hated each other. But that tension between them made the band better.

Johnny Ramone was a racist ? Any proof or are you just equating Right wing to Racism?

Dave's just an Alex Jones dude. He's largely apolitical except to be against governments doing something, to someone, for something...then insert wacky riff.

Study the band and their history, He was extremely racist.

I've been Googling it for the last 10 minutes. Plenty of info on his being a Conservative but nothing on him being a Racist.

What am I missing ? Most Conservatives I know aren't racist at all, so why would he ?

I've been Googling it for the last 10 minutes. Plenty of info on his being a Conservative but nothing on him being a Racist.

What am I missing ? Most Conservatives I know aren't racist at all, so why would he ?

Marky Ramone would be a good place to start dude. It's always been kind of common knowledge among diehard fans.

Study the band and their history, He was extremely racist.

Extremely racist, eh? Is that why he compared Social Justice Warriors to the KKK? Seems a bit odd. Anyway, I'm really having a hard time finding this history you're talking about. Someone said Corgan was racist because he had no black people in his band, but that's about it. Can you help me?

Yeah, same here. If the band was "extremely racist," why didn't I ever hear anything about it? I mean, Jimmy the Greek and Al Campanis uttered a couple of sentences and you could stick a fork in them; they were done, and this was back in the '80s. So how did this band exit the fringe to become a seminal band of the period while being "extremely racist"? Seems like a stretch.

Marky Ramone would be a good place to start dude. It's always been kind of common knowledge among diehard fans.

So what's the connection between the Ramones and the Smashing Pumpkins? :confused: I'm starting to think you've been caught with your drawers at your ankles.

So what's the connection between the Ramones and the Smashing Pumpkins? :confused: I'm starting to think you've been caught with your drawers at your ankles.

There isn't one, but did you bother to read the exchange between Henry and Fenton or countryboy?

There isn't one, but did you bother to read the exchange between Henry and Fenton or countryboy?

Yeah, and I have to admit I'm confused. It would be a lot simpler if someone just directed me to the "Billy Corgan is a racist" evidence.

Hopefully the irony here - this being posted in a thread started with a gross hyperbolic attack against a group which few if any would identify or define themselves as - is intentional ;)

I can't recall which philosopher made the statement, but paraphrasing him he said, "I can't define evil, but I know it when I see it." It's sort of like that. Imagine a person with an ego like a snowflake who can't go ten minutes between microaggressions unless he's incubating in his safe space with like-minded victims or those suffering from something called "white guilt" who feel a masochistic need to be put into their proper place, discussing the latest leftist literature and comparing notes on racism while discussing strategy for their next protest at a Trump rally. That's an example of a "Social Justice Warrior."

Yeah, and I have to admit I'm confused. It would be a lot simpler if someone just directed me to the "Billy Corgan is a racist" evidence.
No one has accused Billy Corgan of being racist. I commented that Johnny Ramone was. Marky Ramone goes into it in his book. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6vf2VNoS-Iw&autoplay=1

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom