• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Side effects from Covid vaccine

Will this hamper you from getting a vaccination?

• Total voters
I’ll double check, I thought I read 28 days. I’ll get back to ya on this as soon as I can
It’s not known how long it takes to work.

That’s what the FDA is reviewing. No one else has seen the data in that detail.

I’m not able to find where I read it. It’s possible I’m thinking about the time frame between the first and second vaccine? That timeframe is 3 to 4 weeks

I’m not able to find where I read it. It’s possible I’m thinking about the time frame between the first and second vaccine? That timeframe is 3 to 4 weeks
Whatever you read was speculation at best.

The data will help tell us, but we might not know til it’s published, although the FDA should give us some idea (very conservative tho, I’m sure), with the EUA.

Whatever you read was speculation at best.

The data will help tell us, but we might not know til it’s published, although the FDA should give us some idea (very conservative tho, I’m sure), with the EUA.

I think you are correct and that’s why I’m having trouble finding it again. Just looking forward to more info from the scientists and waiting on my turn patiently

The side effects listed won't keep me from getting the vaccine. But I'll still wait a bit to see if these are the only side effects. I voted other.

I’ll double check, I thought I read 28 days. I’ll get back to ya on this as soon as I can
I'm just curious. That's an additional month people would have to remember, 'after the 2nd shot' that they could start to feel safe.

I'm just curious. That's an additional month people would have to remember, 'after the 2nd shot' that they could start to feel safe.
Well, if it works like most vaccines (and it probably actually works better), you might get some partial protection after the first dose, maybe in two weeks. That partial protection might prevent some infections, or prevent infections from becoming severe. After the second dose, longer term immunity should kick in in a few weeks.

Only way to know is to see the data from the study. The FDA has the patient level data, but probably wont publicly discuss it. The companies might, and it hopefully should be published.

But the FDA will be VERY careful to be super conservative - because the worst thing they can do for public health is overstate the effectiveness and make people think the second dose is not necessary.

Well, if it works like most vaccines (and it probably actually works better), you might get some partial protection after the first dose, maybe in two weeks. That partial protection might prevent some infections, or prevent infections from becoming severe. After the second dose, longer term immunity should kick in in a few weeks.

Only way to know is to see the data from the study. The FDA has the patient level data, but probably wont publicly discuss it. The companies might, and it hopefully should be published.

But the FDA will be VERY careful to be super conservative - because the worst thing they can do for public health is overstate the effectiveness and make people think the second dose is not necessary.
I've heard that if you get infected after the first dose and before the second, the virus actually overrides the immune response and completely negates the vaccine. Making it vitally important to remain infection free until the second dose.

I've heard that if you get infected after the first dose and before the second, the virus actually overrides the immune response and completely negates the vaccine. Making it vitally important to remain infection free until the second dose.
Again, whatever you heard was hearsay. No one can know until they see the data. And as of now, they either work for Pfizer or Moderna or the FDA, and they are under nondisclosure agreements.

Thanks. I do know this. My concern is more centered on people's expectations over what seems to amount to almost a 2 month period. If that's how it ends up.

Again, whatever you heard was hearsay. No one can know until they see the data. And as of now, they either work for Pfizer or Moderna or the FDA, and they are under nondisclosure agreements.
Cool, so no one knows if it'll be partially effective for two months and then fully effective or zero effectiveness for 2 months and completely canceled out if contracted during the 2 month vaccination period. Sounds like it's just hearsay either way. I figured your post was just spouting off without evidence. Now we know for sure.

The long term side effects of mRNA vaccines are COMPLETELY UNKNOWN. This is a completely new kind of vaccine and has never been used on humans before. There is NO reason to assume the risks are minimal!

And there is no reason to think they are not minimal! With your attitude we'd still have smallpox or measles outbreaks.

Meh it depends. I won’t rush to get it. The only reason I will is if I need to travel internationally but I don’t really need to and my girlfriends family is in Mexico where all laws are open to negotiation so even if I go there (as I might in the next year) I probably won’t get it.

Cool, so no one knows if it'll be partially effective for two months and then fully effective or zero effectiveness for 2 months and completely canceled out if contracted during the 2 month vaccination period. Sounds like it's just hearsay either way. I figured your post was just spouting off without evidence. Now we know for sure.
You might have noticed I was referring to other vaccines. I would think the AZ one would work exactly like that, conferring immunity within a 1-3 weeks. But these mRNA vaccines are a new mechanism, and its simply not possible to know until we see the data.

You might have noticed I was referring to other vaccines. I would think the AZ one would work exactly like that, conferring immunity within a 1-3 weeks. But these mRNA vaccines are a new mechanism, and its simply not possible to know until we see the data.
Yeah, probably better to wait for someone who has an idea instead of someone who is guessing.

And there is no reason to think they are not minimal! With your attitude we'd still have smallpox or measles outbreaks.

Your comment is completely irrational. Without longterm testing they can't possibly know. I posted this before:

there are unique and unknown risks to messenger RNA vaccines, including local and systemic inflammatory responses that could lead to autoimmune conditions.

My nephew has been a participant of the Moderna vaccine trials. People have had minor side-effects from the vaccine that are similar to the regular seasonal flu vaccine. Soreness of the arm at injection site, possible low-grade fever for a day or two, some fatigue. Nothing really dramatic. I can hardly wait for the vaccine to become available and not for myself because I'm feeling pretty protected doing what I've been doing since last February. I am anxious because I'm a retired nurse and I see the numbers of hospitalized in NY go from 500 infections at the end of June to over 3,500 as of Nov 29th and that's before the holiday.

Medical staff needs the vaccine as soon as possible.
I had a seasonal flu shot and had symptoms worse than that. Very swollen arm below the injection site, constant sneezing and very watery eyes, generally feeling ill. I got over it.
Front line workers, the elderly, those with underlying conditions must certainly be first in line.

Even better to wait for the data, rather than an ‘idea’.
Sure didn't stop you from posting what you thought. Spreading misinformation during a pandemic can get people sick or killed. Please be careful in the future.

They were NOT healthy, they had HIV. I KNOW that mRNA vaccines were never used on healthy people before.
You were wrong, get over it. Now you are moving the goalposts. How sad.

Your comment is completely irrational. Without longterm testing they can't possibly know. I posted this before:
You have proved that your opinion on this is worthless. You can't even be bothered with looking up easily found information.

Even before any vaccine is released to the public, the public is already crying and resisting and coming up with arguments as to why they will not take this vaccine. Wearing a face mask is still a crybaby issue for many people so how can anyone expect that these people who suffer the 'vapors' over a suggested mask mandate, will ever accept the fact that it's absolutely vital that in order to defeat this pandemic, everyone -- meaning all -- meaning every person, have to get this vaccine?

Months before the first civilian vaccine rollout begins, we're already hearing :cry: 'wahhhh-- I don't want a fever' and :cry: 'I don't want to have to take a day off from work' and even :cry: 'boo-hoo, my arm will be sore'.

WT - EVERLOVIN' - F people?

There's one way and ONLY one way that any vaccine for Covid-19 will be effective in overcoming this pandemic and that is if everyone takes it. Listen.... my nephew was in the Moderna vaccine trial, he has Guillain Barre Syndrome, he has had his blood drawn and examined before, during and after the vaccine and he feels great, absolutely great. No side-effects, no Covid, no symptoms, nothing. Even if you take the vaccine and you are one of the rare people that catch the virus anyway, you will have a much higher chance of survival.

Here's the sobering reality for all you mask deniers. Even after we get our vaccine, we will all still need to wear a mask, socially distance and practice good sanitation. The vaccine is not going to magically make those requirements disappear overnight. Eventually, yes, but not immediately.

Even if you take the vaccine and you are one of the rare people that catch the virus anyway, you will have a much higher chance of survival.

Even if you don't get the vaccine you will have very tiny chance of dying from the virus. It is simply crazy to get a vaccine with completely unknown long term side effects, when the risk of getting a serious or lethal case of the virus is so extremely small.

The vaccine might make sense for high risk groups, but not for anyone else. Makes no sense for young people and children to get it.

Participants in Moderna and Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine trials told CNBC in September that they were experiencing high fever, body aches, bad headaches, daylong exhaustion and other symptoms after receiving the shots. While the symptoms were uncomfortable, and at times intense, the participants said they often went away after a day, sometimes sooner, and that it was better than getting Covid-19.

^
From the article. Whatever.

Back
Top Bottom