• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shrimps affected by anti depressants

marywollstonecraft

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
:shock:
well thts what I thought when I read the heading of this article. I had heard of prozac for dogs .... but crustaceans?

no prescription required ... what we excrete, they consume.... and it changes their behaviour.

just another thing in the long list of what we have to think about when considering the consequences of what we do.

Antidepressants taking toll on marine life

Scientists in Britain have found antidepressant drugs are affecting the behaviour of marine animals such as shrimps.

In 2001, approximately 4 million people around the world were prescribed antidepressants containing the pharmaceutical fluoxetine.

Much of the active compound is excreted from the human body and is transported in sewerage to many estuaries and coastal waters.

Researchers at the University of Portsmouth say these antidepressants can change the behaviour of shrimps and potentially damage the food chain.

The researchers found that crustaceans exposed to fluoxetine were five times more likely to swim towards a light source than to swim away from it, making them more vulnerable to attack from fish and birds.

Antidepressants taking toll on marine life - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Back
Top Bottom