• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Zoos be Abolished?

Should Zoos be Abolished?

• Total voters

Ntharotep

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
In the midst of running to and fro in the researching of political views, claims, etc. (it can be really hard to determine what you can take a political campaign's word for), I came across, completely by accident, what I will call "the war on zoos".
I have posted an article against and an article for the support of zoos just as examples.
Should zoos be done away with, restructured, or left alone?
Are they a danger to animals?

Shall we discuss?

Living Entertainment: the Reality of Zoos
In Defense of Zoos and Aquariums

Last edited:
In the midst of running to and fro in the researching of political views, claims, etc. (it can be really hard to determine what you can take a political campaign's word for), I came across, completely by accident, what I will call "the war on zoos".
I have posted an article against and an article for the support of zoos just as examples.
Should zoos be done away with, restructured, or left alone?
Are they a danger to animals?

Shall we discuss?

Living Entertainment: the Reality of Zoos
In Defense of Zoos and Aquariums

As much so as kindergartens and shabby high-rises.

I think zoos should be phased out and replaced by animal sanctuaries that people can tour like safaris. I think it's important for people to be exposed to animals, but I think it's just as, if not more, important for animals to be more free than they are in zoos. Zoos are really ****ed up to be honest.

There are Zoos that need shut down, but others that do really well for their charges. Additionally, several of the smaller zoos allow exposure to animals they could otherwise not afford to go and see. Maybe some limits as to what types of animals, such as those who are injured and could not survive even within the safari environment. I don't think there is any one quick and easy answer.

~ Should zoos be done away with, restructured, or left alone? ~

Given that in some instances some animals are likely to be wiped out in their natural habitat and may only exist in future in captivity then restructure over abolishment every day of the week for me. We're down to less than 100,000 African lions, rhinos, Indian Tigers and other such animals and not because of evolution but because we have destroyed their habitat or the chinese are paying for their slaughter to make medicines (which don't actually work anyway)

There isn't one answer. Many zoos do great things to preserve a species in danger, like Cincinnati Zoo and the Bengal tiger. Others have staff that have no clue what they are doing, and the enclosures are utterly inappropriate for the animals. American zoos tend to be better than European Zoos, which are far better than Asian or Russian zoos.

I prefer sanctuaries.

There isn't one answer. Many zoos do great things to preserve a species in danger, like Cincinnati Zoo and the Bengal tiger. Others have staff that have no clue what they are doing, and the enclosures are utterly inappropriate for the animals. American zoos tend to be better than European Zoos, which are far better than Asian or Russian zoos.

I prefer sanctuaries.

Having been to many zoo's in the USA, and in Europe, I would have to give props to the Europeans. Both facilities in Berlin (went to visit Knut the polar bear) and London are fantastic, the animals seem happy, or as happy as one can be in captivity. I have been to my local zoo here in San Antonio, its small but they do a good job looking after there charges.

Some yes, others no

We have a Sea world-esque attraction in Galveston ( Moody Gardens ) that has a Seal and Penguin exhibit.

The Sea lion's are rescues and so are some of the Penguins. One California Sea Lion was found on the California coast abandoned by its mother because of a congenital eye disease.

The pup was rescued and nursed back to health. She's now a healthy female adult Sea Lion and part of the Seal exhibit. A blind Sea lion that's absolutely spoiled and adored by her handlers.

Moody Gardens and places like it are advocates for these animals. Their exhibits promote education and interest and part of the admission fee you pay when you enter goes to research and to help fund new rescues.

I think zoos should be phased out and replaced by animal sanctuaries that people can tour like safaris. I think it's important for people to be exposed to animals, but I think it's just as, if not more, important for animals to be more free than they are in zoos. Zoos are really ****ed up to be honest.

I think it depends on the particular animal. Obviously its not feasible or possible to have wildlife sanctuaries near every major city also. The zoo in my city had a few great cats and they were cooped up in a cage that was not much bigger than a bedroom. I could see they were restless and agitated as they were way too confined. I do think that a zoo shouldn't take on animals that it cant give some appropriate habitat to.

There are Zoos that need shut down, but others that do really well for their charges. Additionally, several of the smaller zoos allow exposure to animals they could otherwise not afford to go and see. Maybe some limits as to what types of animals, such as those who are injured and could not survive even within the safari environment. I don't think there is any one quick and easy answer.

Pretty much this. Zoos that provide comfortable environments for their animals are valuable resources for educating people about nature.

Only the crappy ones.

Sanctuaries are definitely better. But, stuff like the National Zoo are a treasure.

At the very minimum we need to up our standards. Zoos can be beneficial for both research and education.

But, this wouldn't be a bad option, either...

Many zoos are substandard in living conditions for the animals. They should be renovated to give as close to a natural habitat as possible. Or converted to sanctuaries.

Now, animals in circuses are another issue......I hate that practice.

Depends on the zoo, as most have said. And the animals. Things like elephants or orcas shouldn't be kept in captivity at all.

I think it depends on the particular animal. Obviously its not feasible or possible to have wildlife sanctuaries near every major city also. The zoo in my city had a few great cats and they were cooped up in a cage that was not much bigger than a bedroom. I could see they were restless and agitated as they were way too confined. I do think that a zoo shouldn't take on animals that it cant give some appropriate habitat to.
Well, I don't think every major city should have an animal sanctuary close by. I think that there should be one or two per state that should get the same amount of funding as national parks.

At the very minimum we need to up our standards. Zoos can be beneficial for both research and education.

But, this wouldn't be a bad option, either...
I went to a zoo recently where the 7-8 gorillas are kept in a glass box the size of a small studio apartment. It was pretty sad and, after that, my stance on this has become more firm. The fact that zoos are even allowed to keep animals in such conditions is absurd to me.

Were it not for zoos, very few people would see any of the animals in them and the fate of those animals would be ever further removed from the minds of the public than they are today.

A zoo - if properly run and administered - can protect animals and serve a valuable educational function for our society.

I tend to like your idea here. Not just shut them down outright because that wouldn't be fair to anyone, probably the animals included, but a phase out program would be wonderful and having sanctuaries instead of zoos is a good idea.

What next, supermarkets?

I went to a zoo recently where the 7-8 gorillas are kept in a glass box the size of a small studio apartment. It was pretty sad and, after that, my stance on this has become more firm. The fact that zoos are even allowed to keep animals in such conditions is absurd to me.
Yeah, that's just not right.

I've never been comfortable with animals kept drastically out of their environment, too. Polar bears in Texas, or lions in Minnesota, for example.

Were it not for zoos, very few people would see any of the animals in them and the fate of those animals would be ever further removed from the minds of the public than they are today.

A zoo - if properly run and administered - can protect animals and serve a valuable educational function for our society.
And I do see value in that, as well. If nothing else, it can promote awareness. We can and should do better, though. Small confining cages aren't right.

Yeah, that's just not right.

I've never been comfortable with animals kept drastically out of their environment, too. Polar bears in Texas, or lions in Minnesota, for example.

Polar Bears AND Penguins in Florida :)
But Sea World's had its own problems the last several years.

And I do see value in that, as well. If nothing else, it can promote awareness. We can and should do better, though. Small confining cages aren't right.

I agree about the small cages. I prefer zoos that have a large area for the animals to roam - even if that area is a pittance compared to the wild.

One. I don't give a **** about the 'educational' part of it. That is totally irrelevant. To suggest it is is to suggest that there are potential justifications in the name of 'education'. There are not. Right is right, wrong is wrong. Wrong is not justified in ANY WAY because it is educational...it's still wrong.

Two. I despise zoo's...all zoos (except those that take injured animals that would die without help and then nurse them back to health and release them if they are healthy BUT keep them only if they are too disabled to live free again - like a bird that lost one wing; those places I really like).
But those zoo's that capture healthy animals from the wild and force them into zoo's I despise.

The idea of taking a wild animal out of his/her natural surroundings and forcing him/her into captivity and feeling good about yourself because he/she has plenty of food and is safe is laughable.

But fine, let's ask the animals if they love it so much. Take them all back to where you found them and open the cages. If they run away, I guess the zoo was not for them. If they stay, then you can be reasonably sure they liked 'em.

And please save the examples of some 'amazing' zoo you know of. Even a wonderful cage is still a cage. And unless the animals learn to talk, there is NO WAY you can know (short of my example) whether they truly like it or not.

Me? If I had the choice of being in a comfy jail for the rest of my life or free - with all the danger/uncertainty that comes with it - I would take the latter in a heartbeat. Freedom means more to me then free room and board. And I suspect it does for the animals as well.

Oh...and those that disagree with me (which appears to be everybody)...you are ALL wrong on this and I am right on this.

And nothing, imo, you could possibly say could change my mind in the slightest.

Good day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom