• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should we regulate the media's power?

128shot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I'm not a huge fan of regulations or anything, but I think its become insane that so few people, mostly outsiders of the media business, basically control us in a subtle way by pushing their own media on us.

I'm not saying there isn't thousands of other different sources or good media sources, but for the general american, its all about bipartisan politics, has this destroyed the integrity the media once had?

Should the media be forced to report the top 5 or 6 policial partys in america to accurately give the average voter some real insite? Should all these national debates include them as well? I think so.

This isn't suppose to be an electoral dictatorship, its suppose to be a representative democracy!

128shot said:
I'm not a huge fan of regulations or anything, but I think its become insane that so few people, mostly outsiders of the media business, basically control us in a subtle way by pushing their own media on us.

I'm not saying there isn't thousands of other different sources or good media sources, but for the general american, its all about bipartisan politics, has this destroyed the integrity the media once had?

Should the media be forced to report the top 5 or 6 policial partys in america to accurately give the average voter some real insite? Should all these national debates include them as well? I think so.

This isn't suppose to be an electoral dictatorship, its suppose to be a representative democracy!

You ever hear about freedom of the press?

The media only thinks for those who want to save themselves the bother of having to think.

Bah, I suppose you got me there.

I just find it so outrages it blinded my own liberty.

too bad I can't re-edit the post.

Government regulation of the media is a horrible horrible horrible idea. That would be the first step towards a totalitarian state. The media has long served as "government watch dogs" and if the government starts to control the media how will you ever be able to tell what they are doing? You might not even know if they are telling the truth or not.

Thats why so many people are complaining about the FCC. They are trying to regulate what we watch and read.

Well they already have media immunity on sources in most states. They can tell lies without ever being questioned about their bias, a majority of the time. Pretty much high scale brain washing. They can go through your public records if it will make a good story for the 6 PM and 11 PM news. They exploit others lives for ratings. Well pretty much the media can do whatever, whenever, however, it they can make you think or feel a certain way, all in the name of the ratings game. :mrgreen:

TV
\/
||----------||
|| News ||
|| ||
|| /\/\/\/ ||
--------------
|| 0 0 ||
--------------
--------------

/\/\/\-reads: Look a my signature! stsburns! :mrgreen:

no way>then the repulicans will surely have a hold on this country. Besides it's to big for them to do that.

How can Repubs control the media? There are more Lib newspapers and TV stations than Reps, which most people actually read and watch. While Reps have Radio and Fox News?

Total government control of the media would be very bad. However I would support installing an organization that keeps an eye on the validity of the news that gets reported. No one should say if something can or can not be reported, but if someone reports false information as fact, they need to be held accountable. Opinions should be kept in the editorials where they are meant to be, not spew over into ever single news story. An organization that reviewed news and fined those that choose to report false information would be fine. As long as it doesn't have any say in what can or can not be reported. As in, you can post any story you want, but if it is complete BS and false you will be penalized.

I think bringing back the fairness in media doctrine and limiting the amount of media companies one can own are necessary.

stsburns said:
How can Repubs control the media? There are more Lib newspapers and TV stations than Reps, which most people actually read and watch. While Reps have Radio and Fox News?
Why did the Repubs get rid of the Fairness in media doctrine if the majority of the media is liberal? Sorta like shooting themselves in the foot.

scottyz said:
I think bringing back the fairness in media doctrine and limiting the amount of media companies one can own are necessary.
Ever took on Time Warner! They are in a major need for a government regulation. Every time I look they either bought another company, or merged with another company to control a certain market.

My top 3 companies that have the potential to take over the world:
1. GOOGLE
2. Intel/Microsoft
3. Time Warner and Time Warner related companies

No, but the media could be more responsible at times.
I read something once that indicated the media should be like a 4th branch of the government, that being the snitch branch. Anytime that members of the other 3 branches start acting counter to what is good for the average American, the media should speak loud and clear.
Media that is clearly biased toward one party or the other should be chastised by other media.
Much of that is already going on, but not in a manner that allows the rest of us to determine whether or not their motives are pure.

We should not regulate the media whatsoever.

Have any of you heard about the recent controversy over PBS? Democrats are complaining that the republicans who are now in power are using PBS to promote their agenda. Whether or not you think that's true, the democrats had a chance to privatize it in the 90s when Newt Gingrich ran the house. If they had gone along with it, they wouldn't be having this problem now - but they couldn't help themselves.

I have a talk show on college radio, and I've recently been faced with "equal-time" laws about political candidates. I had already given the candidates equal time, so I don't have to change anything, but I think that its ridiculous that the government has any say as to what goes on my show. Now if some homocidal maniac decides to run for that office, I bet I'll have to invite him into the studio.

So the media should do as it pleases at the expense of other Americans? Please! /sarcasm

When does "freedom of the press" NOT really mean "freedom of the press"? When you put the Constitution in the hands of a liberal.

First Amendment to the Constitution said:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people to peaceably assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I don't follow Ludhai. Mind explaining what you mean by that? I also love your generalizations, either way. way to go

128shot said:

I believe the phrase is "representative republic" as opposed to "democracy."
If you read The Federalist Papers it will give you some insight into why
the founders decided against literal democracy (1 person = 1 vote). They
feared the uneducated masses (includes me) would be too easily swayed
by regional partisanship, which would cause bickering, which would cause
divisiveness, which would lead to dissolution of the union.

But to opine on your original question ~ Absolutely no censorship of the press.

FinnMacCool said:
Government regulation of the media is a horrible horrible horrible idea.

So you wouldn't vote for anyone who wanted government control of the media such as internet news blogs and such?

kmhowe72 said:
no way>then the repulicans will surely have a hold on this country. Besides it's to big for them to do that.

So anyone who even hints at controlly the internet and it's reporting of news and such should never serve as president?

scottyz said:
Why did the Repubs get rid of the Fairness in media doctrine if the majority of the media is liberal? Sorta like shooting themselves in the foot.

Most don't want government controlling the media or the press, do you. If a Republican proposed controlling interent information would you vote for them?

scottyz said:

So you don't believe in the first amendment.

Stinger, are you baiting a trap? You are not qualifying the questions.
I would regulate some things but not others. If you want to go online and dish dirt on politicians so we can know who might be the most honest, or the least dishonest, yes, let's dish the dirt. But if you know who the CIA agent is in Bumfhardt, Hungary, and want to out him or her because YOU think we should not be there in that capacity, no.

Stinger said:
So you don't believe in the first amendment.
Limiting the amount of media companies one can own is against the 1st amendment? I know the rights whole strategy has been to buy up the media and make sure there was nothing to prevent them from putting their slant on it. It's not a free press when one side has a stranglehold on it.

Last edited:
So you wouldn't vote for anyone who wanted government control of the media such as internet news blogs and such?

Not unless the other guy was much much worse.

Who are you talking about? I know your hinting something here.

MiamiFlorida said:
You ever hear about freedom of the press?

The media only thinks for those who want to save themselves the bother of having to think.

Agreed!! I think it is so funny when peope constantly criticize the press, and make no attempt to seek out alternate news sources. In this day in age we have such a vast network of news and information at our fingertips (literally, via the internet) and if we choose not to use that the only place to place the blame is on ourselves...

Back
Top Bottom