• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

Is that a question or a statement? I cannot tell, because it doesnt stem directly from anything I said.
Maybe you could show a little honesty and ask a question that doesn't suppose someting about my position.

No need to get defensive. I was just asking.

people have treatable diseases that once treated do not diminish quality of life. people get cancer and are cured with no diminished quality of life. good god, he's only 47.

Non sequitur, red herring.

You may want to look up those words, and reapply logic. When denying someone treatment which can save their life because they do not have money or insurance coverage, it naturally follows that the value of their life is equal to the monetary value of the treatment needed to keep them alive. Also, one cannot separate the question posed in the OP from an ethical discussion. So-you're wrong on both accounts.

Not really. Patient dumping is a well documented phenomenon. Try googling it.

I assure you it does not. Read the link.

I only just noticed your link since you later edited your post.

However, as I said, if preventative care is low cost and not abused, it can reduce costs.

There are variables to consider here: how much it costs to administer the preventive measure, how effective the preventive measure is in preventing the condition, whether preventing the condition results in the patient surviving longer, thus having even more time to consume healthcare resources for other medical conditions. OF COURSE, allowing sick people to die is a cheaper option. Not treating people with costly conditions to begin with is also cheaper. But this is where we run into ethical issues.

Apparently, many people in this thread find such a discussion to be a "red herring." My, how they'd change their minds if their health problems and lives were in question. So often, people only apply their "ubermensch" mentalities to others. Of course, people with that mentality are either healthy at the time, or do not yet realize their own need for care.

Medical costs are driven up in large part -because- of the insulation of the consumer from the true cost of the goods/services he receives.
-Eliminating- 3rd-party payment will reduce costs and improve quality of care by forcing providers to compete for the pool of customers who only have $X to spend.

No. It doesn't. There's no judgement whatsoever on the value of the person in question in the post you responded to, and thus, non sequitur.

However....It DOES naturally follow that by forcing others to prvovide medical treatment to somoene who cannot pay, that the life of that someone -is- more valuable than the labor that produced the wealth that is then taken to provide for that same someone.
So... According to you...the life of person who cannot pay > the right of someone else to retain the fruits of their labor.
Please - support that position.

Also, one cannot separate the question posed in the OP from an ethical discussion. So-you're wrong on both accounts.
I am wrong on neither.
You are trying to discuss a position of a judgement of value of a person in respose to a post that you did not otherwise address in an effort to avoid the substance of said post - which you have still not addressed. Thus, red herring.

Last edited:

Wait- you tell me that my position is a non sequitur, but then turn around apply the exact opposite, and claim that it isn't a logical fallacy? :lamo

Wait- you tell me that my position is a non sequitur...
From the post you responded to? Yes. Absolutely. No way to argue otherwise.

but then turn around apply the exact opposite, and claim that it isn't a logical fallacy?
-You- brought up the idea of judging the value of on person over another. I merely applied what you said to the 'must provide treatment' argument, which does exactly that. Thus, it was NOT a non sequitur from YOUR response.
:shrug:

And... you have STILL not responded to the actual point I made in my post - thus, you continue the red herring.

Last edited:
people have treatable diseases that once treated do not diminish quality of life. people get cancer and are cured with no diminished quality of life. good god, he's only 47.

And right now he's in perfect health. But you don't know my dad. He's convinced Chemo is a waste (and at 5% success rates, who could blame him?). His grandmother and grandfather died from dementia. His father had a host of health issues (and a dining room table quite literally FULL of medications he had to take). His brother fought cancer for 4 years and was pretty much skeletal when he passed.

If it can't be cured with antibiotics or 1-time surgery my dad isn't going to do it. So why should he be forced to buy insurance he doesn't have any intention of using?

So why should he be forced to buy insurance he doesn't have any intention of using?
No one should - no one CAN - be forced to buy good or services of any kind as a basic requirement of citizenship.

so many things could happen, that's why. but oh well.

Because the vast majority of non-insured holdouts change their mind at the moment of truth and get treated. We all pay in the form of higher premiums.

Sure, there might me a couple ideological holdouts who actually do pick dying of treatable disease instead because they feel passionately about not having insurance. Most won't. So if we are going to insist on sticking to our "private"system, then everyone is going to have to be covered.

I would say, yet again, that mandating insurance for everybody doesn't solve anything. Prices are still high, people will still not be covered, the system will still be abused by idiots who go to the ER because their kid sneezed three times in 24 hours. Instead of avoiding the real issues, we want to allow congress to violate the limits of their authority because.....why, exactly?

Certainly seems a much better idea to expand Medicare to cover everyone. This is just one more example of an essential service with inelastic demand not being best served by for-profit companies.

Mandating private insurance is one of the most inefficient ways to address the problem, but people think offering health services equals communism. So if you want to keep your "free market" for every non-communist under age 65, you'll have to buy in.

Single payer doesn't address the problem either. All it does is set artificial pricing levels, which will lead to rationed care and limited access to the more expensive (but often best) diagnostic tools and treatmeant options.

Single payer doesn't address the problem either. All it does is set artificial pricing levels, which will lead to rationed care and limited access to the more expensive (but often best) diagnostic tools and treatmeant options.

we will certainly need to address cost. there are a lot of potential ways to do this, and in my opinion, this is the discussion we should be having. for example, we need a lot more doctors, and it shouldn't cost a billion dollars to bring a drug to market. both sides are going to have to give; the current pricing system is unsustainable.

I concede your point completely, but I happen to think this is just what we need...and in fact, what is inevitable. My preference would be that the rationing be done on a basis we at least have a voice in.

Right. Because making money is obviously a higher goal than saving children.

which would be fine IF, repeat IF, ALL the members of society pitched in. problem is, the ones getting the most benefit are the ones who pitch in the least.

That may be true in this system, but that's because this system is poorly designed. Here's something to consider. A blue collar worker benefits from having universal health care, and he doesn't pay that much in taxes. A wealthy business owner pays more taxes to be covered by universal health care. But the business owner also benefits from having all his employees covered by universal health care, so he doesn't have to worry about them getting sick. That's why it's called the common good.

So instead, just get universal health care. Simple.

So instead, just get universal health care. Simple.

I took a neighbor to the ER Saturday night about 10:30 pm. We left at 4 am the next day. The place was about half full with babies....there can't be much more soul-crushing than not being able to get access to well-baby care.

I'm tired of allowing the poor to go without care -- especially the children. Universal care is the only sane option to me.

Right. Because making money is obviously a higher goal than saving children.

That's not what he said.

He said that raw emotion should not be our main driver when crafting policy because we could end up with a very ineffective system that will end up collapsing on itself in a number of years, perhaps because people will want to help everyone for everything when in reality that just might not be feasible.

You do realize that what YOU are referring to as death panels is already fully extant in private insurance, right.

"Lifetime limits" is one term used.

End of life COUNSELING is just that. "Got your **** in order? How much effort do you want expended extending your life? Shall we spend just your entire estate or bankrupt your family as well."

For profit insurance fulfills its legal mandate to its shareholders in one of two ways.

Raising premiums.

Reducing care.

Everything else is peanuts.

And the top payed CEO in health insurance earned $23,000 an HOUR one year. Authorized by stockholders. Tidy profits. Enough so ya gotta wonder how much waste would have to be commited by govt to affect actual cost of care, when profits justify salaries of this magnitude. How many thousands an hour OVER 23,000 are they pulling down to authorize a compensation package that large?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…