• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should We Accommodate Immigrants?

Should We Accommodate Immigrants?

• Yes

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Screw Them! This is America, not Mexico!

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
Only one place I can think of and it's for ceremonies.

This statement contradicts the one you made above. If it's frequently spoken, it's not a dead language.

Now you're simply lying and/or contradicting yourself. If Latin is spoken natively around Italy, it's not dead language. If it is as you're claiming, a dead language, then it's not normal to hear it in Italy.

It's not a lie. Look it up. I've been to Italy. I have a basic understanding of Latin, and it got me around well enough. Also, it is a dead language because it is spoken nowhere else...and it has no native country to belong to. Get your facts straight, and just because you disagree with with a statement doesn't make it illogical.

I agree ... since the English learned to speak the languages of the people living here when they arrived, so should today's immigrants ...

They still need to read road signs etc. while they are learning though don't they?

Illegitimi non carborundum

They still need to read road signs etc. while they are learning though don't they?

in all seriousness, immigrants learn the English they need to get by ... but their kids typically speak it better than most cons on these threads ...

It's not a lie. Look it up. I've been to Italy.

So have I. Never heard anybody speak in Latin outside of churches. We must have been to different Italys. You must have gone to 2nd century Italy. I must have gone to 21st century Italy.

I have a basic understanding of Latin, and it got me around well enough. Also, it is a dead language because it is spoken nowhere else...and it has no native country to belong to. Get your facts straight, and just because you disagree with with a statement doesn't make it illogical.

Your statements contradict themselves for 1 sole reason: If it's a dead language, it's not regularly spoken. If it's regularly spoken, it's not a dead language. The best part about your statement is that the demographics of Italian languages don't even list Latin as a regularly spoken language in the country.

Italy Demographics Profile 2013

Languages Italian (official), German (parts of Trentino-Alto Adige region are predominantly German speaking), French (small French-speaking minority in Valle d'Aosta region), Slovene (Slovene-speaking minority in the Trieste-Gorizia area)

So yes, you're making it up. Please stop.

The above is so ridiculously idiotic, it's almost amazing you managed to actually type it up. Latin and Italian aren't intelligible. A person speaking Latin in the 1st century would have no clue what an Italian from Rome is saying. I manage to understand everything said by the BBC pretty well. Do you? Regional slang does not create an entire language. If so, then there are about 40 different languages in Mexico depending on what state you're in. Actually, no. It's ****ing stupid to consider regionally influenced forms of speaking as languages of their own.

American English is a proper subdivision of English. American English has several marked departures from British English. For one, American English is intelligible. Hahaha.

It's not like American English and British English are speciated, but there is enough difference to call attention to it.

Is that Irish ebonics or something?

I think it's some white slacker interpretation of black American Ebonics. I'm being PC and treating Ebonics as a proper noun because the PC police have already ruled that Ebonics is a legitimate language. But I have to give today's black youth a failing mark when it comes to talking Ebonics aka Jive Talk.

I personally feel it is in mans best interest to devise a new simple and straight forward language that is taught to children globally so that the next generation can share a universal language.

As far as accommodating immigrants, many businesses have found that it is a simple and inexpensive way to accommodate customers and it is in their best interest to do so. However I do think it has the downside of removing some of the motivation for immigrants to assimilate.

I'm not that concerned with assimilation but how do immigrants ever plan on supporting themselves if they can't speak fluent English?

I'm not that concerned with assimilation but how do immigrants ever plan on supporting themselves if they can't speak fluent English?

The same way they have since the heydays of the Roman empire. They create small communities and cater to members of those communities primarily and then to those around them. The Italians who first arrived in the US didn't really make an effort to become Americans in any sense. They basically formed small communities that were 1) Italian owned 2) Italian serviced 3) Italian. Hasidic Jews to this day have yet to make any real effort to incorporate into mainstream Anglo-Saxon life. They learn English not necessarily because they need to support themselves but because a lot grow up in countries that don't primarily speak Yiddish. It's not the 1st generation which wants to become part of the society. It's the second. You find this Latino communities. The parents may not speak English in any proficient manner. The kids however tend to speak not only their ancestral languages but also that of the country they're born into.

Anybody who argues that first generation immigrants should learn the language of the country they move into is pretty blind to how immigrants assimilate. They don't want to learn English because they don't need to. Their friends tend to be from their own ethnic background. The stores they go to belong to members of their community. They tend to work lower wage jobs that don't require them to speak English. So why do they need to learn English? They don't. They can live happy productive lives with a single language and crude English phrases at their disposal.

Well, if that were the case, they shouldn't. As an immigrant it is not your place to try to force your language on a native people. That's just ignorant and lazy. There is absolutely no excuse for that. If you want to pick another country, make some effort.

The point of signs is for people to understand them ... language is dynamic and always changing, just like culture, you can't force it.

As an individual ... yes ... you should always try and learn the dominant language, but as a society you should use the languages that are dominent.

Back
Top Bottom