• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Puerto Rico be a state of the Union?

Are you for or against admitting Puerto Rico as a state?

• Yes, I'm for!

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • No, I'm against!

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

This is different from a Blue state how?

You can blame those who got angry when PR flew the US flag at the first Olympics they participated in when it became a territory.

Its not a separate country, its a territory, like Guam and the US virgin islands. The difference being that Guam and the VI can vote in a Presidential election.

The difference being that Guam and the VI can vote in a Presidential election.

Incorrect, the residents of US territories can not vote for the President, but they can participate in the primaries.

BTW, voter turnout was low for the 2008 Democratic presidential primary:

I lived in San Juan for a couple of years. I really enjoyed it and gained a lot of respect for the PR's. I heard it said that they have a sort of cultural scizophrenia. Discussions with my PR friends tended to conclude that the welfare state that we (US) allowed on the island has turned it from an agricultural economy with fairly high employment to one where most people would just as soon be on the dole as work on a banana farm or sugar cane farm. They have had for decades major tax incentives to bring industry to the island. But of course if you manufacture it in PR you have to ship it to your market from an island 1000 miles from Miami. The program has largely been successful though.

As to the question should they be a state...I think it's time we offered them a choice between statehood with its requisite responsibilities or simply ally, in other words losing their commonwealth status.

I say, let the PR's become "Free". I don't think the Spanish will try and make them a Colony again. :lol: And we've enough Welfare Leeches of our own to deal with.

if they wanted to be free they would be and if they wanted to be a part of us they would be they are in the best position possible they get our protection with out all of the political greff

Some information regarding Puerto Rico to understand the reality of the country:

I say yes only if Puerto Rico first makes english its official language, makes it mandatory to teach children in english and starts a program to teach adults english who do not know how to speak english and makes all their ballots and government forms in english. Despite what many globalist pieces of **** say the US is still a english speaking country,there should be no exceptions regardless if the the territory in question originally spoke another language.

Would you like to be called a piece of whatever for your ideas? :roll:
If you want to be respected, then respect other people.

Back on topic, PR is an hispanic nation, Puerto Ricans have their own idiosincrasy (different cultural values), and since the US is not a multinational state, is better for both countries to solve the colonial political status of PR with a free association agreement, the island would become a republic associated with the US, both nations would win. PR gets the autonomy it needs and the US saves money by reducing federal transfers, but keeping a solid ally in the Caribbean.

Would you like to be called a piece of whatever for your ideas? :roll:

If you want to be respected, then respect other people.

Demanding that other people who want to live in your nation speak your nation's language is not disrespect. I could care less what liberal scum or and other trash view my ideas as. The US is a english speaking country regardless of what globalist pieces of **** and those who toss the salad of illegals say, so it makes sense that any territory we make a state speaks English.

I am just wondering why we even still have them as a protectorate... or something of the United States.
PR is an 'external possession", like the USVI, Guam, etc.

Lots of counties have possessions that are not 'states' or 'provinces' or whatever -- Canada, the UK, Australlia, Denmark and France are just a few examples.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…